How can I fix a rough ride?

He says he has 33x12.5r15 Cooper STT Pros @ 26psi in the OP.
Thanks, that leaves the question on what Rancho shocks are installed. The RS5000 is notoriously stiff and so is the RS9000xl unless it's adjusted to one of its softest settings.

1) Exactly what model of Rancho shock are you running? 2) Exactly what size tires, what Load Range (C, D, or E) are they, and 3) exactly what air pressure is in them right now?

1) RS55239 and RS55241
2) 33x12.5r15 Cooper STT Pro load range C
3) 26 psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a good idea to drive someone else's Jeep. Of course, Rough Country is about as rough a ride as it gets, so if it's worse than his something is wrong, if it's better, some people just aren't made for Jeeps

I rode in one of my buddies YJ with leaf springs, but we didn’t hit any bumps and then I drove the same route in my Jeep and it felt the same. I can handle a bumpy ride, it just surprised me because people said these were smooth shocks.

1) RS55239 and RS55241
3) 26 psi

If that’s your setup, then what you’re experiencing isn’t a rough ride, it’s just about as good as you’re going to get a TJ to ride.

I’ve tested almost every shock out there in terms of bolt-on shocks, and the Ranchos do indeed ride the smoothest.

Reactions: JMT
I’ve tested almost every shock out there in terms of bolt-on shocks, and the Ranchos do indeed ride the smoothest.

It just doesn’t seem right that I have to brace myself before I hit an unavoidable bump. Maybe the streets here are just straight garbage. I just want to figure it out if there is something wrong or not. I didn’t get my Jeep aligned after the lift, so you think that could be part of it?

It just doesn’t seem right that I have to brace myself before I hit an unavoidable bump. Maybe the streets here are just straight garbage. I just want to figure it out if there is something wrong or not. I didn’t get my Jeep aligned after the lift, so you think that could be part of it?

It would still be useful to post those pics of the shock shafts and the bump stops. I agree that something doesn't seem right.

1) RS55239 and RS55241
3) 26 psi
You're running the RS5000x shocks which have a widespread reputation for a superb ride. I had them myself and loved them and the ride. I don't know what could be causing your stiff ride then. Load Range C, 26 psi in a 33x12.50 size tire, and RS5000x shocks is a recipe for a great ride.

The only thing I can think of is your RS5000x shocks are too long and they're bottoming out. Pictures of the shocks with the Jeep flat on the ground so we can see how much of the chrome strut is showing at normal ride height would be immensely helpful.

It just doesn’t seem right that I have to brace myself before I hit an unavoidable bump. Maybe the streets here [in PA] are just straight garbage. . . .

Many years ago I had occasion to work in the Pittsburgh area for a month and had to return two rental cars during that time because tires were damaged by potholes. In my memory those were the worst streets and highways I have ever encountered outside the Third World.

Post pictures of the front and rear bump stops and the exposed shock shafts
Photos would be very helpful.

Could it be that the bump stops have been extended too far and therefore each rough spot in the road causes premature contact with the bump stop? I had this issue on a previous TJ when the springs had sagged, leaving a smaller gap for the bump stop to travel. The ride was very rough. Once I replaced the springs, I regained the lost travel and it was smooth sailing.

I realize you just replaced your springs, so it would be helpful to see photos of the bump stops and shock shafts as explained above.

Photos as would be very helpful.

Could it be that the bump stops have been extended too far and therefore each rough spot in the road causes premature contact with the bump stop? I had this issue on a previous TJ when the springs had sagged, leaving a smaller gap for the bump stop to travel. The ride was very rough. Once I replaced the springs, I regained the lost travel and it was smooth sailing.

I realize you just replaced your springs, so it would be helpful to see photos of the bump stops and shock shafts as explained above.
This is the thought. Pics would show this really quickly.

The white line shows where the strut comes out of the shock.

d25773cc3a74dd8ade01d3a7d895945a.jpg
198647b749c4315ba6f90ca4a43845d9.jpg

How about the rear?

If your white mark it accurate, then your shocks are acting as bump stops. And there doesn't appear to be at least 4" of shaft showing.

How about the rear?

If your white mark it accurate, then your shocks are acting as bump stops. And there doesn't appear to be at least 4" of shaft showing.

I don’t know about the rear, so do you think I need shorter shocks?

I don’t know about the rear, so do you think I need shorter shocks?

That's my immediate thought. Or more lift and absolutely more bump stop extension. Pulling that boot away would allow for a clean measurement of the shaft.

Here's mine. :)
b18ce9b82f94cb534f52bb5135748b4e.jpg

That's my immediate thought. Or more lift and absolutely more bump stop extension. Pulling that boot away would allow for a clean measurement of the shaft.

Here's mine. :)View attachment 73791

I reached out to Rancho again to see if they would cover it under warranty since it said these fit 2-3” lift, I really don’t want to go up to 3”s using coil spacers and I don’t want to have to go with a sye or skid drop.

I reached out to Rancho again to see if they would cover it under warranty since it said these fit 2-3” lift, I really don’t want to go up to 3”s using coil spacers and I don’t want to have to go with a sye or skid drop.

You could do some 3/4" coil spacers and a 1" motor mount block for $100 total. That would eliminate the need for a TCase drop or SYE. Just a suggestion. But those shocks are too long for your setup. YOu're bottoming them out.

Reactions: mots
They do look too long. Here is an interesting comparison of shock lengths. It's too bad the Rancho's don't have a middle ground model for a 2" lift. I like @JMT 's idea to run a short coil spacer and keep the same shocks, especially if they can't be returned for whatever reason.

NX2 shocks from BDS 2" kit

REAR 85975
Compressed Length: 13.42"
Extended Length: 21.70"
Travel Length = 8.28”

FRONT 85979
Compressed Length: 13.92"
Extended Length: 22.92"
Travel Length = 9.00”

NX2 shocks from BDS 3” kit

REAR 85980
Compressed Length: 14.67”
Extended Length: 22.95”
Travel Length = 8.28”

FRONT 85965
Compressed Length: 14.81”
Extended Length: 24.90”
Travel Length = 10.09”

—-

Rancho RS5000X shocks for 2.5” lift

REAR RS55241
Compressed Length: 13.69"
Extended Length: 21.69"
Travel Length: 8.00"

FRONT RS55239
Compressed Length: 14.43"
Extended Length: 23.84"
Travel Length: 9.41"

—-

Rancho RS5000X shocks for 0" lift

REAR RS55240
Compressed Length: 12.94"
Extended Length: 20.13"
Travel Length: 7.19"

FRONT RS55128
Compressed Length: 13.05”
Extended Length: 21.03”
Travel Length = 7.98”

So am I good in the rear and just go with a 3/4 spacer. Will that fix my problem?

A 3/4" spacer will improve the up travel problem by 3/4". The bump stops will still need to be addressed. Like I said, those shocks need about 1.5" extension to protect them from over compression. However, this does not account for anything that might need more extension than the shocks do.

A 3/4" spacer will improve the up travel problem by 3/4". The bump stops will still need to be addressed. Like I said, those shocks need about 1.5" extension to protect them from over compression. However, this does not account for anything that might need more extension than the shocks do.

So this may fix my rough riding problem? And if I lift the front, and it squats a little, won’t that help my driveline angle and are my rear shocks ok?