How critical is a Steering Stabilizer?

I will now install my new Rancho Stabilizer for purely cosmetics :)

No argument there. A nice, new steering stabilizer certainty looks pretty!

Not to get too far off topic, but I think part of the problem is that there are some pretty serious differences in what defines "death wobble".

Most people have never experienced truth death wobble. What most people experience is vibrations due to driveline problems or improperly balanced tires.

Believe me when I say that a true death wobble is scary as shit. It is in no way whatsoever to be mistake for a vibration. If you have ever experienced true death wobble, you'll know what I'm talking about, as it will scare the life out of you!

But yes, many, many people are mistaking simple vibration for "death wobble".

Reactions: Bird
Believe me when I say that a true death wobble is scary as shit. It is in no way whatsoever to be mistake for a vibration. If you have ever experienced true death wobble, you'll know what I'm talking about, as it will scare the life out of you!

But yes, many, many people are mistaking simple vibration for "death wobble".
The guy was pretty impressed with himself when he used the phrase "death wobble". I wanted to pull up one of the aforementioned videos to help him understand why the term includes the word "death" and not "minor annoyance".

Reactions: StG58
The guy was pretty impressed with himself when he used the phrase "death wobble". I wanted to pull up one of the aforementioned videos to help him understand why the term includes the word "death" and not "minor annoyance".

Exactly. He's got death wobble confused for something else. And even the videos don't fully do it justice. You've got to actually be in the vehicle when the death wobble is happening to truly know how scary it is!

...Believe me when I say that a true death wobble is scary as shit. It is in no way whatsoever to be mistake for a vibration. If you have ever experienced true death wobble, you'll know what I'm talking about, as it will scare the life out of you!...

That's for sure. My ass was puckered for 2 days :)

Reactions: Chris
I would guess that a large percentage of steering stabilizers would never be installed if they couldn't be seen by others. Bright pretty colors under a Jeep must mean it's a bad ass off road machine.

I would guess that a large percentage of steering stabilizers would never be installed if they couldn't be seen by others. Bright pretty colors under a Jeep must mean it's a bad ass off road machine.

You're right about that. And I will admit, that since the front axle / steering on a Jeep is so visible, I completely get the aesthetic appeal of a steering stabilizer.

Death wobble is truly terrifying. During ww2, korea, and as recent as gulf war 1... soldiers hands down said death wobble was scarier than taking enemy fire.

;)

Death wobble is truly terrifying. During ww2, korea, and as recent as gulf war 1... soldiers hands down said death wobble was scarier than taking enemy fire.

;)

I know what your saying......I'd much rather step on a landmine then experience DW.:sifone:

I'm guessing offroad is where they show up.....preventing bump steer in the rocks.
Bump steer is a very specific condition caused by improper steering geometry that causes the steering to be forced left/right as the front axle moves up/down over bumps/dips in the road. The main purpose of having a steering stabilizer is what it does when its correct name is used.... steering damper. The steering damper's purpose is to absorb the jolts from bumps/dips in the road and help isolate the steering system from them. :)

Reactions: Bird and Chris
Jerry makes a great point. On motorcycles they aren't called "steering stabilizers", they are called "steering dampers". That's what they really should be called. The term "stabilizer" is a bit misleading to some degree.

Reactions: Dawghouse and Bird
I've had DW on my TJ. Fortunately I am still able to speak to it. I was able to have the issue corrected with an alignment and a REALLY GOOD tire balance. Because those were the sources of my problem, and the fix for it, I don't think my SS had any effect on the problem what so ever. May have kept it from being noticed sooner, but then that aspect has already been discussed.

First post to these fine forums. Unfortunately, it is about the aforementioned "Death Wobble". After 10 years in the Army, raising 4 kids, skiing accidents, motorcycle accidents, tornadoes, forest fires and being married to a red head; I can most certainly tell you that having death wobble at 50 mph on a country road approaching the crest of a hill staring at a hay wagon will most definitely make your hairy cinnamon ring chew cotton in an effort for your bowels not to eject their contents.
Now, to find the cause. New Steinjager track bar? Nope. New sway bar and bushings? Nope. Jacked up, shook down wheels at 12 & 6, 3 & 9 did the long 2x4 under the tire to check ball joints... still tight no clunk..goes tomorrow for alignment, rotate and balance. I HOPE that cures it. I'll update as soon as I know.

First post to these fine forums. Unfortunately, it is about the aforementioned "Death Wobble". After 10 years in the Army, raising 4 kids, skiing accidents, motorcycle accidents, tornadoes, forest fires and being married to a red head; I can most certainly tell you that having death wobble at 50 mph on a country road approaching the crest of a hill staring at a hay wagon will most definitely make your hairy cinnamon ring chew cotton in an effort for your bowels not to eject their contents.
Now, to find the cause. New Steinjager track bar? Nope. New sway bar and bushings? Nope. Jacked up, shook down wheels at 12 & 6, 3 & 9 did the long 2x4 under the tire to check ball joints... still tight no clunk..goes tomorrow for alignment, rotate and balance. I HOPE that cures it. I'll update as soon as I know.

Is the track bar bolt at axle torqued? This seems to always be the cause of mine. Also out of balance tires.