How fast should you be able to go?

I set the cruise at 80mph

I’ll bet it stays at 80...until you start going up a mountain pass 😉

I don't like the ticket. The CHP has no sense of humor about you (a) "flipping folks off" and (b) exceeding the speed limit while towing. Kat once irritated a CHP officer who pulled her over and gave her the choice of do overs without the excessive use of horn or the ticket. She did do overs.

I’ll take it she was really laying on the horn to be pulled over? Either that or the cop was really bored.

My point was that you won't be run off the road if you go slower. The speed limit in CA for any semi or vehicle towing a trailer is 55. I have towed thousands of miles on CA roads at 20-30 mph slower than the rest of the freeway traffic and not once have I been run off the road.

Some of it depends on the vehicle and perceptions of the other drivers. There is a section of I-25 between Denver and Colorado Springs that I maintain is an angry aggressive section of road, specifically the closer one gets to Colorado Springs. I have driven several vehicles to and from. The most hassling I get (mostly from the brodozer crowd) is in my mother's Mini Cooper S. This is the fastest and most agile car I get to drive on a regular basis. Yet I can be going 80-85 in a 75 and frequently find an enormous pickup truck tailgating and flashing me. I'll frequently drive the same stretch in the Jeep at the posted speed limit, and I rarely get bothered by these assholes.

Reactions: Claytone
I’ll take it she was really laying on the horn to be pulled over? Either that or the cop was really bored.
No, on the way home from work there is a right turn lane marked with a double yellow since they had a lot of problems at that turn. She was in the lane almost to the intersection when some asshole whipped into the lane across the double yellow and almost took off the front of her rig. She had to slam on the brakes to keep from hitting him. She got on the horn and stayed on it until they turned. Cop was behind her, saw the whole thing and made her pull over for a ticket or do overs.

• Wow
  • Face Palm
Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
Some of it depends on the vehicle and perceptions of the other drivers. There is a section of I-25 between Denver and Colorado Springs that I maintain is an angry aggressive section of road, specifically the closer one gets to Colorado Springs. I have driven several vehicles to and from. The most hassling I get (mostly from the brodozer crowd) is in my mother's Mini Cooper S. This is the fastest and most agile car I get to drive on a regular basis. Yet I can be going 80-85 in a 75 and frequently find an enormous pickup truck tailgating and flashing me. I'll frequently drive the same stretch in the Jeep at the posted speed limit, and I rarely get bothered by these assholes.
When I was a bit younger I bought an Audi A3 wagon that got traded into the dealer I was working at. It was lowered on bbs wheels and looked expensive. I paid something like $11k for it. I swear to god people hated the car and flipped me off for no reason on a regular basis.

What you speak is 100% truth.

Reactions: jjvw
My work truck is governed at 70mph. I drive locally. I don't leave Arizona anymore. When I was over the road, I set the cruise at 61mph in the Peoples Republic of Greyout Davis. Turned off the CB. Cranked the tunes and waved with all my fingers as everyone passed me.

I dont think i got an alignment read out. But Ill check my receipts folder. The guy actually said it didnt need the alignment. Or it didnt need adjusting rather. I think ive had two alignments in the last year. When i had my tires replaced. And iirc when i had my control arms replaced.

I have very new JK rims and tires. 255/65r17s? I used to have a vibration problem at 65. But a rebalance solved it.

After reading everyones response. I think half of it is the sh*tty 405 that i drive most on. My discomfort isnt driving it over 70 so much as im waiting for the next big dip or hump in the pavement. At 70 it really reacts to the bad parts in the road. And i have to correct.

I had to swerve around a stalled driver at around 40 on the freeway. And that was an adventure. The Jeep overcorrected three or four times swerving left and right. Until i got it under control. Im a good driver. I spent much of my life doing vehicular surveillance as a private investigator. But i dont have illusions that a '99 TJ is going to perform like even a normal car.

I do have maybe an inch or so play in the steering. Measuring at the top of the steering wheel. Its a stock Jeep. But it was neglected several years before i bought it. Maybe ill take it in and have the steering and suspension looked at. But i did put a $1000 into suspension repairs when i got it. Based on a dealership inspection. ( i had my local garage do the work. The dealership wanted like twice that.) Ill see if i can find that receipt too.

I would suspect that i might have a rotted bushing or two maybe. It sat for a long time before i bought it. But like i said. I had it gone thru a year or so ago. But that was not at a 4x4 place. It was the dealership.

I wish i lived closer to @mrblaine (its not terribly far. Like 1.5 hrs maybe. Just notdown the street. Lol) Id not only have him drive it. But do any repairs as well. At some point i have a rear tire carrier i want him to install. So ill certainly have him drive it then.

Thanks for all the input guys.

What you're describing is a lot like my TJ when I bought it. The steering wheel could turn 45 degrees either way with no effect to the vehicle and then start doing things at 46 degrees... Having all that slack with a sudden uptake makes sudden corrections super sketchy.

To top if off, it also had awful bump steer so it would jump to one side every time I hit a bump or a hole, and then I'd correct with that non linear steering.

Inspection when I got it home revealed a bad track bar rod end which allowed the whole axle to shift a quarter inch before it would start turning, explaining the steering response. The bump steer was explained by a drop pitman arm AND an axle end track bar drop bracket which made the track bar and drag link even farther from parallel.

The key to this is that none of those things would show in an alignment printout. An honest, competent alignment shop should at least find the loose track bar, but they're not likely to have the understanding of how steering actually works to know why a drop pitman arm is bad in a TJ. And if they don't have the integrity to check for worn components so you don't waste money on an alignment, then it's entirely possible to miss those sorts of things.

I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but do a dry steer test and make sure your steering

Ah, "the gap". Hopefully it'll be better when they finish the widening project. It's still totally surreal to me that the worst traffic in all of El paso and Douglas counties is in a rural stretch of open interstate 20+ miles outside of anything one would call a city.

Most of my travel to Denver is for the airport and fortunately I live 5 miles off hwy 83 so I just take it up through Parker. But if going north of Denver there's just no good alternatives.

Reactions: jjvw
When I first got my Jeep the front end was a mess. Needed new everything. Doing 50-60 felt like re-entering the atmosphere from orbit in a hurricane on a monday. I replaced everything hanging under the nose except for the axle housing after that and it drives nice and smooth, now.

I took it up to 80 once just to see if it could do it. After that, I pretty much stick to 65. I value my life too much to be doing 80 in a vehicle with the wheelbase of a postage stamp.

Reactions: Modoc Guy and Tob
56+. :cool:
sammy-hagar-icantdrive55-.jpg

I've had mine up to 86 a couple times... Downhill. One was westbound down Vail Pass, so it was smooth but not straight. I felt perfectly safe doing it.

Same with my first LJ... Certain I had it up to 90 at some point, after a lift and new tires had cured the death wobble, of course.

Ha I’ve hit the limiter on my 35’s and 5.13’s. Smooth as can be.
Let me clarify. I wasn't referring to the ability of the chassis set-up by mrblaine to handle that speed (it would) but rather the fact that I don't think the low output 4.0, NSG370, 35s, 5.13 combination could do it. 🤓

Reactions: Moab and Apparition
Let me clarify. I wasn't referring to the ability of the chassis set-up by mrblaine but rather the fact that I don't think the low output 4.0, NSG370, 35s, 5.13 combination could do it. 😕
It’s ok, I run a 42RLE

Sometimes all that is needed to solve a problem is the lack of lack of creative problem solving. I happen to know someone who lives much closer to you than I do. I don't suspect it would be out of the realm of possibilities to have him drive your rig out here. Especially since I see him several times a week.
Copy. Will do.

I’ve had mine up north of 90... rolling on 35’s... it’s a none issue... Handles good and gets up to that speed just fine for a giant box. It feels comfortable at that speed. I assume my mpg is in the single digits at that speed though.

80+mph is comfortable. Though I gravitate towards the low 70s.

35s, 4" spring, 1.25 body, good shocks.

Very honest question. Do you wear ear plugs? Doesn't the noise (road+engine) bother you, irrespective of which top you have on at those speeds?

Having bought mine in Germany, the governor kicks in at 96 mph. Drops to 92 then accelerates again. At those speeds the soft top would almost fold into the stowed position.

that was a brand new Jeep. I sure wouldn’t do that now that I’m 20 years older and so is the Jeep. 😳