How full do you fill your gas tank before hitting the trails?

For a one day trip and if I am going to a typical off-road park or will be doing a technical trail in the Mid-south or Southeast I will typically try to limit my fuel to 1/4-1/2 full in order to save weight. This is because I am never very far from the trailer. At a park like Windrock or if I am somewhere like Moab where I can end up coming out on the other side of the mountain after wheeling all day, I will typically start with a full tank.

If I am doing multiple days (overlanding), I always start with a full tank and know map out my fuel fill options for the trip.

I like to go out full because I'm usually running in remote terrain. Most times I have plenty of fuel. The only time I remember having any worries was when I went out to the Maze at the Canyonlands. I fueled up at Hanksville, then had to make the 70 mile run out to the park. Then drove around and finally out to the Maze Overlook and back. I had fuel when I got back on the highway, but not a lot.

I'll fill up before every dirt cruise, because it might cost more the following weekend.
But currently, I fill up because the price is going down.

I guess I should clarify. If I'm on a technical trail where I want to be light, I'll go 1/4 at most if I have my trailer. If it's a long scenic trail where I'm not crawling for the majority of it, I'll fill it up for sure. Those trails can have you exploring for awhile.

Full… Lowers your center of gravity, pump won’t get fuel starved on steep stuff, and you will end up using it anyway.

Reactions: reddvltj
For east coast stuff I've never used more than 5 gallons in a day. Since I'm on smaller tires, it's 1/2 tank or less for me.

I've never been on a trail where someone runs out of gas, even during other mechanical issues. Gas stations are abundant.

That said, when crawling I do half a tank for weight savings as mentioned.

Reactions: Irun
Our trails are far enough out from the nearest gas stations and many of even those ones close early as they are small towns, so it isn't uncommon to be 45 minutes from the nearest gas station after reaching pavement. Our trails vary from typically 3hrs to 6hrs to complete, so I am definitely in the fill up and then top off at the meet up point before heading.

Fill er' up!

Running outta gas in southwest deserts... not a fun idea when it is over 100 degrees.

Also.... driving in high altitude sierra mountains... it is hard to guage gas mpg.
I fill up nearly everytime at the trailhead... unless it is just a short set of trails like corral canyon.

If a full tank will get me to the trail, a day of wheeling, and home, I will usually fill up when get near home. If I don't think a full tank will get me home, I might top off when I get to the trail. Though when in doubt AT ALL, top off the tank.

I have been on a trail and have someone run out of gas. So best to have extra and hopefully someone has a siphon kit. Don't do the drive of shame to go get gas and come back...

I fill before leaving town. If it's within a couple hours I won't bother filling right before unless it's a longer/more open ended exploration. Usually that puts my needle on the half full mark, which is really much more than that. If it's much lower than that, I fill it and don't really think about the 56lb I could save if my gauge was actually correct. I like being able to get off the trail and start driving wherever I want to be vs looking for a station right away.