How many of you outdoor cook with a Traeger? If not what is your BBQ rig of choice?

I did a little 12 pounder on my webber charcoal a few weeks back. Apple wood for the first hour or so, held at at 325 until a perfect 155 on the breast. The drippings were caught in broth, white wine, mierpoix. I'm gonna be the first to admit it was the best freaking gravy I've ever made with the smoke in there... OMG

I bet you're was amazing too!!!

Well boys, I upgraded from a Weber Smokey Mountain to a Traeger last month. It's been pretty awesome so far.

It took a few cooks to dial in the flavor (super smoke for the first 2 hours is where it's at) but not having to babysit it is the best! Meat comes out perfectly cooked each time. Vegetables are great on it too. The charcoal was great, but I found that I didn't use it as much as I'd like to because I never wanted to be woken up to adjust temps on work nights.

Coming from the charcoal, I will say that the pellets needed for the same cook time are certainly pricier. Any cheaper brands that you guys recommend?

Just served Christmas dinner for 6. To damn good!
Cooking up dinner has become my favorite part of Christmas!

PXL_20211226_034712140.jpg

PXL_20211226_035524049~2.jpg

PXL_20211226_040104423~2.jpg

PXL_20211226_041505770~2.jpg

PXL_20211226_041619192.jpg

Sitting under the patio, digesting and having a drink. Life will resume tomorrow , but today is pretty fucking good.
Merry Christmas everyone. 🍻

PXL_20211226_035706894.jpg

Well boys, I upgraded from a Weber Smokey Mountain to a Traeger last month. It's been pretty awesome so far.

It took a few cooks to dial in the flavor (super smoke for the first 2 hours is where it's at) but not having to babysit it is the best! Meat comes out perfectly cooked each time. Vegetables are great on it too. The charcoal was great, but I found that I didn't use it as much as I'd like to because I never wanted to be woken up to adjust temps on work nights.

Coming from the charcoal, I will say that the pellets needed for the same cook time are certainly pricier. Any cheaper brands that you guys recommend?
Been using lumberjack pellets (Wisconsin made I believe) or Bear Mountain

If you still have the WSM, I love my bbq guru controller and fan. Sleep like a baby knowing this thing keeps the temp right where I want it. This is a newer version of what I have…

https://bbqguru.com/StoreNav/GuruCookerGuide?ProductId=0&DeviceModelId=180

Reactions: DuncLJ

I’ve been told by a few guys that use pellet smokers often is to find a good brand of hard wood heating pellet. I know a logger who debarks hard wood before he chips it into trailers for delivery to the pellet manufacturer for their low ash premium pellet.
I heat with these pellets so if your ever in Massachusetts swing in and I’ll give you a couple bags.

Reactions: toximus

Yes Lumber jack pelletts as they are 100% of the wood on the bag. Most all the others use filler woods and it cuts down on the flavor woods in the pelletts. If you find the traeger does not impart enough smoke flavor use a pellet tube in addition to the what the traeger burns. Many people coming from wood find the pellet poopers with too little smoke flavor.

Reactions: toximus
If you still have the WSM, I love my bbq guru controller and fan. Sleep like a baby knowing this thing keeps the temp right where I want it. This is a newer version of what I have…

https://bbqguru.com/StoreNav/GuruCookerGuide?ProductId=0&DeviceModelId=180

I do and I did look into those. Mainly. I just wanted a self contained unit that I didn't have to set up a bunch of different things each time. Lazy, I know, but so far it's making it so I use it more often.

Also, I wanted to store the unit outside and the WSM design allows rain water to get inside and fill the ash pan.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I’ve been told by a few guys that use pellet smokers often is to find a good brand of hard wood heating pellet. I know a logger who debarks hard wood before he chips it into trailers for delivery to the pellet manufacturer for their low ash premium pellet.
I heat with these pellets so if your ever in Massachusetts swing in and I’ll give you a couple bags.
Thanks!

Is anyone grilling on their Traeger? I'll be cooking cheddarwursts tonight and unsure if I should try them on it or stick to the trusty Weber charcoal grill.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Is anyone grilling on their Traeger? I'll be cooking cheddarwursts tonight and unsure if I should try them on it or stick to the trusty Weber charcoal grill.
You should try it. My MAK can get plenty hot for grilling with the deflector panels removed.

That said I generally grill on my BGE.

I do and I did look into those. Mainly. I just wanted a self contained unit that I didn't have to set up a bunch of different things each time. Lazy, I know, but so far it's making it so I use it more often.

Also, I wanted to store the unit outside and the WSM design allows rain water to get inside and fill the ash pan.
Makes sense, I also hated dragging it to the back deck when I wanted to use it so I built it a little shelter, have a exterior plug near by and the fan intake is permanently installed. I’ve found with the controller I no longer need the stability the water bowl provides so I typically just cover the top of it with foil.

Still more work than a traeger though sometimes, it’s at least an hour getting the fire going and up to temp, I think it’s a great cooker though.
56D24331-0420-4C87-B872-DE77E567EC9B.jpeg

My charcoal smoker rusted through a month ago and I’ve been trying to figure out which charcoal smoker I want to get, I’m not spending $2 K on one but I don’t want a cheap one, I may end up with a offset fire box Oklahoma Joes but not sure if I want a horizontal or vertical smoke box.

any suggestions?

Reactions: Claybirdd
My charcoal smoker rusted through a month ago and I’ve been trying to figure out which charcoal smoker I want to get, I’m not spending $2 K on one but I don’t want a cheap one, I may end up with a offset fire box Oklahoma Joes but not sure if I want a horizontal or vertical smoke box.

any suggestions?
I personally prefer vertical.

any suggestions?
Ceramic doesn’t rust

Reactions: 707kevin

any suggestions?
I've got a Gateway drum that's pretty sweet.

Looks perfect. How did the skin come out?
I tried smoking one a few weeks ago. The meat was delicious, but the skin was a little rubbery.
It was nice and crispy
So I deliver to a lot of the Chinese stores in the Bay Area. So I just buy them all prepped up by the store and this was the 2nd one I tried.
The prep work of getting the skin dry in the fridge or just hanging with a fan on it ( every store in the bay hangs em outside of refrigeration )

I poke 1,000 tiny holes in the skin but not deep into the meat. Next time I do it it’s gunna be 225 for 1:30 then crank it to 300 and go till 160 degrees