How much does it really cost to run 35" tires?

A lot of people also wouldn't consider a brake upgrade mandatory.

However, having driven with 35s and stock brakes, I can tell you that it's a very scary ordeal if you ever have to really hit the brakes.
They don't consider it mandatory because the TJ brakes are all over the map. I have literally driven a TJ (more than 1 or 2) on 37's that would lock up the tires with stock brakes. I've also driven them on 33's that were dangerous. The reason we see the varied responses as to what is and isn't needed is due to folks reporting how what they have works and that is so widely varied as to not be a given.

If someone tells me their rig will lock up 35's with the stock stuff, I never doubt them.

Because fitting a Dana 60 is going to take even more work and more money. It's also not required to run 35s, so it's unnecessary in my opinion.
Not really more work or money to do the work. Currie's #1 selling axle of all time is the bolt in TJ front HP Dana 60 with TJ outers. It is a 100% bullshit axle and they have sold 1000's of them.

Reactions: Chris
They don't consider it mandatory because the TJ brakes are all over the map. I have literally driven a TJ (more than 1 or 2) on 37's that would lock up the tires with stock brakes. I've also driven them on 33's that were dangerous. The reason we see the varied responses as to what is and isn't needed is due to folks reporting how what they have works and that is so widely varied as to not be a given.

If someone tells me their rig will lock up 35's with the stock stuff, I never doubt them.

Id rather have more brakes than not enough. Whether the stocks worked on my LJ or not, Id say at the bare minimum, upgrading to your magic pads and centric rotors is a must. Im sure glad I did with the idiots who drive here in Florida. They have no issue locking up 315s

I see the short wife theory all the time. Kat is 5'-2" tall and got in and out of her rig on 35's and 4" of lift 1000's of times and in and out of my rig on 40's in JV more times than that. No ladders, no stirrups, no steps, just want to.
That's the issue...The want to. She likes the jeep for mild stuff such as two-tracks, Forest Roads, etc. I like to do more technically challenging stuff...the ideal solution is a JK for the stuff she likes and a trail only rig for me...but I don't want to do that.

If I built it following the "recipe" she would probably be fine. Part of this is me wanting to strike my own path too. I like to tinker...with everything. Maybe I should quit using the wife excuse, and just say that. I want to build it my own way and strike my own path.

I looked at the costs of both front and back having the work done or buying complete assemblies, I went with G2 Core 44's and have not been disappointed. they bolted right in and I was done-done, bigger thicker tubes, bigger stronger center sections, huge C's, HP front, and the list goes on, I was just under 8K all in.
Sadly, all of that and still TJ ball joints.

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
I don’t have a Dana 30, are you saying if I bent a tube or a C on a Dana 30, I should move up to a Dana 60 when there are choices that are stronger and less expensive than a Dana 60? Are there manufacturers that are selling unnecessary reinforcement gussets and sleeve kits?
Yes, many of them for the HP and LP 30's. Complete waste of time and money.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Yes. C gussets weren't a thing until the heavier JK showed up on wider axles that are otherwise not very different than TJ axles. Most people who sleeve are doing inner sleeves. Structurally, this is a waste of time.
Compare the two inner C's and it is obvious why the JK's need gussets and the TJ doesn't.

I just drove my TJ for the first time yesterday with the 15" BBK. It is a night and day difference. The jeep went from braking like a heavy truck to braking like a light car.

I see the short wife theory all the time. Kat is 5'-2" tall and got in and out of her rig on 35's and 4" of lift 1000's of times and in and out of my rig on 40's in JV more times than that. No ladders, no stirrups, no steps, just want to.
My six year old daughter is measured better in inches than feet and she can get in and out of my Jeep. And does so with a smile on her face.

It is all in the amount of want to. If you want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't want to do something, you will also find a way.
This is true. She really enjoys climbing the tire and into the back when the top is off.

Reactions: Alex01
Sweet, thanks!
I should have mentioned that my set up and fitment work is part of our service to our customers. The only additional charge is whatever the machine shop charges me to open up the rotors and or modify the bolt circle. I don't mark that up, I just pass it straight through.

I should have mentioned that my set up and fitment work is part of our service to our customers. The only additional charge is whatever the machine shop charges me to open up the rotors and or modify the bolt circle. I don't mark that up, I just pass it straight through.
Awesome. I will just upgrade the front and rear when I do. Which will probably be sooner than later.

@Chris Thanks for this thread. I have a currently stock 2005 LJR and this is the aspirational package I hope to have some day. Any add ons that would be different for an LJ? Also this build package doesn't include shocks which would be necessary too right?

@Chris Thanks for this thread. I have a currently stock 2005 LJR and this is the aspirational package I hope to have some day. Any add ons that would be different for an LJ? Also this build package doesn't include shocks which would be necessary too right?

Well, if I were to do it personally, I would outboard the shocks and run some Fox 2.0 smooth body shocks. You're looking at about $1200 for the custom tuned shocks, $400 for the outboard towers, and labor (maybe about 10 hours at $100 an hour I would assume).

Of course you don't need that setup, but if you're building it to be a highly capable rig, that would be the best route you could go short of a full coilover conversion, which wouldn't be worth the trouble unless you were really going all out.

I don't think an Unlimited model would make me change anything other than knowing that 37s would be possible with the stock wheelbase (though not with the stock axles).

I suppose it all depends on what you want to do with it and how much money you want to spend.

Reactions: Apparition
Well, if I were to do it personally, I would outboard the shocks and run some Fox 2.0 smooth body shocks. You're looking at about $1200 for the custom tuned shocks, $400 for the outboard towers, and labor (maybe about 10 hours at $100 an hour I would assume).

Of course you don't need that setup, but if you're building it to be a highly capable rig, that would be the best route you could go short of a full coilover conversion, which wouldn't be worth the trouble unless you were really going all out.

I don't think an Unlimited model would make me change anything other than knowing that 37s would be possible with the stock wheelbase (though not with the stock axles).

I suppose it all depends on what you want to do with it and how much money you want to spend.
It sounds like you're describing the build Midnight LJR put together with the Savvy mid-arm package. That build is probably my favorite I've seen and my LJ is Patriot Blue so I've got an idea of what it would look like.

Ultimately what I want is a reliable and highly capable rig that performs as well on and off road. I think that's what we all want though.