How much oil does your York OBA compressor spit?

Also, the setup I used (got the install kit from C.U. Offroad) did not require a longer serpentine. It uses a double pulley on the alternator and a secondary belt for the compressor. It was pretty slick, but not cheap.

I got lucky when I installed my setup because Brad Kilby had swapped a Dodge magnum V-8 into his TJ a few years prior so had some custom brackets made. And he happened to still have one on the shelf. So mine is also driven off the alternator pulley.
On my 2.5 it was the same setup. So I never had to worry about the longer serpentine belt.

Reactions: Troutbum
The hole you need to plug is in the body of the compressor, not the head. Most just access it through the head by taking the top plate off and leaving the second plate on.

The hole is on the suction side of the body. I think it is the one here I circled in blue:

View attachment 172080

You can also plug the same hole on the other end near where it comes out by the pulley shaft, but the top is the easiest. If that hole is not plugged, that would be why you do not have any oil in the suction side. it is just getting sucked into the air lines and spitting that oil all over.

So i plugged the hole on the suction side.. Now the crankcase is not filling with oil, but I am seeing oil pooling on top of the pistons.. and I am still getting a steady stream/fine mist of oil..

What I really dont understand is why the coalescing filter isnt catching it and how/why it's also blowing by the air-tank that should be catching it..Coalescing filter is brand new and its drained and i also just drained the air tank (which had several .oz of oil in it also.

Last edited:
like to hear more about your belt problem, have same with mine...not sure if its the compressor pull or tensioner.....
The previous owner welded some kind of plate/spacer to where the tensioner mounts.. everything was fine until the old tensioner bearing failed and we put in a new tensioner.. the belt that was on the Jeep was too long, so the tensioner was hitting its limit and making a a loud rattling noise..we tried the next size shorter belt, but then it was too tight/we couldn't get the belt on.. tried a different design of tensioner, and it's doing the same thing/being noisy ...so we're just living with the noise for now..

So i plugged the hole on the suction side.. Now the crankcase is not filling with oil, but I am seeing oil pooling on top of the pistons.. and I am still getting a steady stream/fine mist of oil..

What I really dont understand is why the coalescing filter isnt catching it and how/why it's also blowing by the air-tank that should be catching it..Coalescing filter is brand new and its drained and i also just drained the air tank (which has several .oz of oil in it also.

Your compressor might just be shot? From a little more research last night I found a thread on Pirate that said this:
TCC/I does make a compressor for OBA usage. They do the plug and drill in the crankcase. Add a scraper ring and a steel sleeve to the "block". Plus the finned head. Oasis is one company that buys these. But here again, once you lay the compressor over with a crankcase full of oil the amount that gets into the discharge side could still be considered unacceptable.

The previous owner welded some kind of plate/spacer to where the tensioner mounts.. everything was fine until the old tensioner bearing failed and we put in a new tensioner.. the belt that was on the Jeep was too long, so the tensioner was hitting its limit and making a a loud rattling noise..we tried the next size shorter belt, but then it was too tight/we couldn't get the belt on.. tried a different design of tensioner, and it's doing the same thing/being noisy ...so we're just living with the noise for now..

Have you tried a different brand of belt? Do other brands offer different lengths? I'm not sure is why I am asking?

Have you tried a different brand of belt? Do other brands offer different lengths? I'm not sure is why I am asking?
We tried several - it's like that one-inch/CM difference between sizes is either too long or too short.. once i have an OBA system that doesnt paint the desert with oil every time i use it i'll start back on the tensioner/belt issue.

Reactions: Wildman
I got lucky when I installed my setup because Brad Kilby had swapped a Dodge magnum V-8 into his TJ a few years prior so had some custom brackets made. And he happened to still have one on the shelf. So mine is also driven off the alternator pulley.
On my 2.5 it was the same setup. So I never had to worry about the longer serpentine belt.

My new double pulley has Kilby engraved in it.

Tomorrow I'm putting in the small power-steering pump cooler and lower pressure switch to run the system at 120psi max, instead of 145psi.. if it's still passing oil, which after much more reading is "just what the York does", then i''ll try putting in a 2nd oil-catch/coalescing filter in the system..

..if it still passes any objectionable amount of oil after all that, i'm getting in a Power Tank!

Reactions: Apparition
Making progress!
put in the small line cooler (power steering radiator) and lowered the working pressure to 120PSI .. Still getting a tiny amount of oil-spray but i think it could still be residue in the air-tank..

i'm going to need to run some new hose but I'm not sure what type to get.. i need a high-temperature, high-pressure (~150psi) hose that wont mind having oil in it (ie: no silicone?) 3/8" ID ... I'm not finding anything at the hardware store or the auto-store.. Anyone know where I can find a roll of something like this?

Go to your local hydraulic shop or truck parts store and buy an air compressor discharge hose. They probably will have pre made ones of different lengths. All the OTR trucks use them.

Reactions: Byhumba and Wildman
i'm going to need to run some new hose but I'm not sure what type to get.. i need a high-temperature, high-pressure (~150psi) hose that wont mind having oil in it (ie: no silicone?) 3/8" ID ... I'm not finding anything at the hardware store or the auto-store.. Anyone know where I can find a roll of something like this?

I was having trouble finding a hose as well. My brand new ORO York system was also spitting a lot of oil. The guys at ORO were supportive at first. I kept having the oil spill after following their advise to just keep bleeding the line. They stopped answering my emails and calls after about 3-4 contacts. I ended up buying a hose (they custom make it with any fittings u need) for around $70 from these guys and installed a coalescing filter: Top-Line Industrial Supply - Temecula
41636 Enterprise Cir N, Temecula, CA 92590
(951) 296-5353
https://maps.app.goo.gl/L2cVFmfDvSB9czYi8
Problem solved. I don't have an air tank. I fill my tires up from 8-10psi to 28psi straight from the York system in about 40 sec per tire.

Not sure how long your header line coming off your York is but these guys make them in a few different lengths. One thing to remember is you want a hose that will handle the heat from the York as an output line. This is why it is better to get one made or buy something like the one ORO sells even though it is a little spendy.

20"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0727SYCRB/?tag=wranglerorg-20

24"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072DZDRTY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If you need longer you could always hook 2 of these together.

ORO's header line.

https://offroadonly.com/shop/on-boa...air/braided-high-temp-compressor-outlet-hose/

Reactions: The IsARubicon
I was having trouble finding a hose as well. My brand new ORO York system was also spitting a lot of oil. The guys at ORO were supportive at first. I kept having the oil spill after following their advise to just keep bleeding the line. They stopped answering my emails and calls after about 3-4 contacts. I ended up buying a hose (they custom make it with any fittings u need) for around $70 from these guys and installed a coalescing filter: Top-Line Industrial Supply - Temecula
41636 Enterprise Cir N, Temecula, CA 92590
(951) 296-5353
https://maps.app.goo.gl/L2cVFmfDvSB9czYi8
Problem solved. I don't have an air tank. I fill my tires up from 8-10psi to 28psi straight from the York system in about 40 sec per tire.

Bummer that ORO stopped trying to help. It seems to be hit and miss sometimes getting in contact with them.