How to clean your IAC (Idle Air Controller) valve

I guess mine was idling a little rough but it ever since I bought it it just seemed that way, so I never really thought about it. Took it all apart and saw that it was in need of much cleaning! Maybe acceleration will be a little a little better now after it's all cleaned up....MTF. 05' 4.0L with 110k.
IMG_1516.jpeg
IMG_1521.jpeg
IMG_1520.jpeg
IMG_1519.jpeg

IMG_1517.jpeg

IMG_1518.jpeg

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
So, this hasn't gone well for me haha. Ever since I installed the IAC and TB back together the jeep wants to stall after turning over....unless I give it gas for a while and even after that it wants to idle rough until I drive it around for a while. I chipped the slightest little piece on the IAC thinking it was a plunger or something that came apart. It apparently does NOT come apart! Probably need to grab another one now. '05 4.0L

^ Update: I read somewhere that only IACs with a plunger can be cleaned. This doesn’t suit the 05-06 models if that’s true. Replaced the old one with a cheap version on rock auto and it fired right up with no issues. Anyone heard of this “only plunger type IACs can be cleaned and reinstalled?” Either way, glad to be back on the road without air/fuel ratio problems now

If you have idle issues, check your vacuum lines too. I had a missing cap on the fitting beside the TB. Also chasing the line down to HVAC. Leaks around the T's check valves and fittings can cause rough idle and issues with A/C and cruise control too. I just ordered a new replacement vac line kit.

If you're experiencing idle issues on your Jeep Wrangler TJ the most likely culprit (and the first thing you should check) is your IAC (Idle Air Controller). Often times the IAC gets very gunked up causing the Jeep to idle improperly. A simple cleaning is usually all it takes to get it running as good as new.

If you end up needing to replace your IAC valve (they do fail on occasion), you can find the part numbers (and the links to purchase them on Amazon) below:

2005-2006 IAC Valve (Part # 4861552AC)
1997-2004 IAC Valve (Part # 4874373AB)

There is no need at all to remove the throttle body to clean the IAC. This is probably one of the easiest and cheapest things you can do.

Below you'll see a diagram of the top of your throttle body with the IAC sensor labeled.

View attachment 14140

Take your IAC off (it's held on by two small torx screws). Clean it with your throttle body cleaner, this is what it will look like before and after.

View attachment 1798

View attachment 1799

Then take off the IAC housing and both sides (house and throttle body). clean that too. before and after...

View attachment 1800

View attachment 1801

View attachment 1802

Put it all back together and you're good to go. Very, very simple. It doesn't get any easier than this!
I'm guessing this will likely be the same for the '96 XJ 4.0...? The wife's Cherokee has been sitting a lot lately, and lately has been idling rough on first start-up. And second start-up. And thi...well, you get the idea. It isn't until after it's been fully warmed up and had the engine revved a few times that it settles down to a decent idle. All new tune-up parts (low mileage, anyway). Fairly fresh gas, too. That's why I'm thing perhaps a dirty IAC. Thanks for the great write-up, Chief!

I'm guessing this will likely be the same for the '96 XJ 4.0...? The wife's Cherokee has been sitting a lot lately, and lately has been idling rough on first start-up. And second start-up. And thi...well, you get the idea. It isn't until after it's been fully warmed up and had the engine revved a few times that it settles down to a decent idle. All new tune-up parts (low mileage, anyway). Fairly fresh gas, too. That's why I'm thing perhaps a dirty IAC. Thanks for the great write-up, Chief!

I can't say for sure, but I think it should be, yes.

Let me know what you find out, this is at least where I would start.

Reactions: Squatch
@172k you might also want to check if your cats and O2 sensors are original or not.

See @Chris ‘s O2 sensor thread for more info.

And I just did a full rebuild of my exhaust from manifold to back bumper, including O2 sensors. I’ve only run a little over 2 tanks of gas since the rebuild, but so far an increase of about 1-1/2 mpg and more importantly, much improved performance and idle. Oreo’s an ‘03 with 119k on the clock and she had OEM cats, pipes, and muffler. I had cleaned the throttle body when I got her at around 103k.

Reactions: Chris
If you're experiencing idle issues on your Jeep Wrangler TJ the most likely culprit (and the first thing you should check) is your IAC (Idle Air Controller). Often times the IAC gets very gunked up causing the Jeep to idle improperly. A simple cleaning is usually all it takes to get it running as good as new.

If you end up needing to replace your IAC valve (they do fail on occasion), you can find the part numbers (and the links to purchase them on Amazon) below:

2005-2006 IAC Valve (Part # 4861552AC)
1997-2004 IAC Valve (Part # 4874373AB)

There is no need at all to remove the throttle body to clean the IAC. This is probably one of the easiest and cheapest things you can do.

Below you'll see a diagram of the top of your throttle body with the IAC sensor labeled.

View attachment 14140

Take your IAC off (it's held on by two small torx screws). Clean it with your throttle body cleaner, this is what it will look like before and after.

View attachment 1798

View attachment 1799

Then take off the IAC housing and both sides (house and throttle body). clean that too. before and after...

View attachment 1800

View attachment 1801

View attachment 1802

Put it all back together and you're good to go. Very, very simple. It doesn't get any easier than this!
I can't thank you enough for this. Jeep been dying and rough idling for months, while saving up for a fuel pump, found this gem! Many MANY thanks!