How to flush the automatic transmission on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Okay understanding that this is an old thread, and that I have read through everything. Here's a question, if I could take it down far enough, is it possible to use a Shop-Vac to suck out all the fluid without having to run the engine, so I have everything out. Then I can do the pan drop and filter change and then totally refill it? Has anybody tried? FYI I have an 06 Unlimited and would rather not pay $500

Okay understanding that this is an old thread, and that I have read through everything. Here's a question, if I could take it down far enough, is it possible to use a Shop-Vac to suck out all the fluid without having to run the engine, so I have everything out. Then I can do the pan drop and filter change and then totally refill it? Has anybody tried? FYI I have an 06 Unlimited and would rather not pay $500

No,
You would only get the fluid in the pan, most of the fluid is in the converter. Drop the pan change filter and gasket. Refill, disconnect cooler line. Have 5 quarts open and start engine fill through dipstick as it comes out of the cooler line. Then shut off engine reconnect line start engine and check and adjust fluid.

I've done this on every automatic I've ever owned. A few things I do: Pick up a large paint mixing container, I got a 2 gallon one at Ace. I put the 2 gallon paint container down in the 5 gallon bucket and secured the hose. The paint mixing container is translucent and marked in graduations. Chris' idea works fine but I find the paint container much easier to pour the old fluid into a funnel to recycle, and more accurate for measuring.

After the pan drain and filter replacement I add back the same amount of fluid that I drained out using the graduations on the paint mixing container, then I start the engine and let it pump out a few quarts. I keep the bucket right by the driver's door so I can watch it while my hands are ready at the key. I also climb in and run it thru all the gears a couple times. Each time I shut the engine off, I take the paint bucket measurement then dump it into my recycling container. There is no need to try and add fluid while the engine is running IMHO, just keep shutting it off and take your time. I even keep track on a paper quarts in and quarts out to be sure I don't screw up.
This has worked really well on all my automatics. My Sprinter has quick disconnects on the cooling lines but I happen to have a spare line so I disconnect at the radiator outlet then connect my spare hose and connect my clear tubing to that. Never spilled a drop.

When finished, I stretch my clear tubing out to the ceiling and let it drain all night after a couple squirts of Brake Kleen, then I bag it up with my paint containers till next time.
A lot of people are afraid of this method but if you don't let it run dry there is no risk. Certainly easier than removing the TC drain plug which is non-existent on most vehicles anyway.