How to raise the rear frame and eliminate your butt crack

99DF48FC-B6A7-49FA-B347-8BBEF5B8571C.jpeg
4911BD4A-9D09-4482-BF28-B49B462C2014.jpeg
98113D34-7E79-4FA7-969C-8E816717A5DB.jpeg
E1E9B1A1-3FC1-4950-BC6A-F7B4CD4A34CB.jpeg
FF856BD8-92EB-4DC6-B6EF-0045487FF4DB.jpeg

Function over form, but everytime I look at this mod I see the GTS hanging down so low again. 🙄

Function over form, but everytime I look at this mod I see the GTS hanging down so low again. 🙄
That change is just visual, fortunately! But I went out the other night to play with ideas of getting back at least some of that clearance - looks like on the high end you can get back about 3/4" on the back side before hitting a tub brace. On the front you'd have to move the crossmember that's above the wheel arch. It would be a pretty tough project and you'd have to be outboarded.

So, did you modify the thru receiver to make it closer to flush, or add it? That looks really good. Do you have a place to hang trailer chains, or is this only for bike rack or cargo carriers?
I did, I ground down some fat welds that held that outer cap on to get it flush and then welded the parts of the back I could reach. If I ever need to add chain hooks I'll either drill through the bumper and crossmember or sure up the two cross members together and add hooks there, in any case they will be tucked under hidden away.

Definitely on my to do list, to help with the LJ over hang and to line up my spare tire carrier with the bumpers again..

An idea I will probably implement when I do mine is tack weld a temporary crossmember across the bottom before I cut off the old crossmember. That way I know the frame won’t shift when I cut the old one off.

Reactions: pc1p
That change is just visual, fortunately!
Yeah, because the gains are there, and one thing that drives me crazy after successfully completing an obstacle is the occasional slapping of the bumper right at the end. This would help solve that. The frame tuck is so worth it. Moving the GT forward 1.5" would be nice for departure angle. Thanks for revealing your thoughts about the difficulty relative to the GTS crossmember. I can see what you're saying.

Reactions: rasband
An idea I will probably implement when I do mine is tack weld a temporary crossmember across the bottom before I cut off the old crossmember. That way I know the frame won’t shift when I cut the old one off.
It won't shift and any appreciable amount that it might is easily mitigated. What you don't want is to weld a brace and then the outer faces of two frame sections don't line up.

Reactions: starkey480
Reactions: Chris