How to recalibrate your speedometer after changing tire sizes or gears

If you have a 97-06 Wrangler TJ and recently went to bigger tires, you'll probably notice that your speedometer is off. This is an easy fix by purchasing the correct gear for your tire size and ring and pinion.

NOTE: This will not work on 03-06 Rubicon models. See the bottom of this post for more details on what to do if you have a Rubicon.

Here's a chart to help you determine the correct speedometer gear:

View attachment 13277

The speedo gear swap/change takes a mere 5 minutes and only one wrench. This is an easy job that anyone can do.

Item's needed:
  • 1/2'' wrench (socket works too).
  • Some paper towels or rag. (you will drip a bit of ATF)
  • Correct speedo gear for your tire size/axle gear ratio.
  • New O-ring for the drive housing. (for $3 at the dealer, change it for cheap insurance)
View attachment 103

Once you have everything ready locate the Speedo Gear drive on the rear output shaft of the transfer case. (easily seen from the rear of the t-case skid)

View attachment 104

First action to take is to remove the electric connector. Push the lock clip out "the red tab" and press on the connector release and pull it off.

View attachment 105

Next step is to remove the 1/2'' bolt and wishbone clamp from the tail housing. Set these to the side.

View attachment 106

Once the clamp is removed you can now remove the drive housing. It will be secured tight in the tail housing..just work it back and forth until it pops out.

View attachment 107

Now it is time to remove the old gear and install the new. To remove the old just grab the gear in one hand and the drive housing in the other...pull. It pops right out with little effort.
Pull the old O-ring off of the drive housing and install the new one.

View attachment 108

Install the new speedo gear by pushing it into the drive sensor housing. Be careful not to pinch the o-ring when installing. (helps if you rub a bit of atf on the o-ring)

NOW...here is a little thing that a lot of people miss. The speedo gear is offset in the sensor housing. This is to adapt to different size gears. And there is 3 clocked position that you can install it. "But how do I do that?" Easy...look on the side of the drive sensor housing.

You will see the numbers....
26-31
32-38
39-45

View attachment 109
View attachment 110 This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
View attachment 111

Simply find where your speedo gear tooth number falls. When you install the unit into the rear tail housing point the number that your gear fall in down at the 5 o'clock position of the hole. Press the gear into the tailshaft.

View attachment 112

Install the wishbone clamp and bolt to secure the drive sensor housing. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN the bolt. The tail housing is aluminum. Just snug it down good. Don't crank on it.
Besure you set the clamp teeth into the cuts in the drive housing.

View attachment 113

Plug the electric connector back in and you are done.

Here you will see the position that your speedo gear tooth count should be angled down. And a completed install. The installed speedo gear in this application was a 41 tooth gear...so 39-45 is down at the 5 o'clock position of the hole.

View attachment 114

How to Correct the Speedometer on Rubicon Models
This above speedometer gear change not work on 03-06 Rubicon models. The speedometer on these is electronically controlled and therefore you only have two options:

1) Some dealers are able to re-program the ECU so that it the speedometer will accommodate for different gearing and larger tires.

2) There are several electronic speedometer calibrators out there, but the one I suggest is the Speedo Healer by Blue Monkey. It's 100% plug-and-play, and uses factory style connectors. Note that you can also use one of these speedometer recalibration gear modules on a non-Rubicon model (as oppose to swapping the speedo gear as outlined above), but I'm not sure why you'd bother wasting the time and money, when swapping the speedometer gear is both cheaper and easier.

Great write up with pics and install procedure. I just changed mine out as the previous owner had the wrong one installed. Just knew the indicated speed was not correct. As you mentioned, the critical step is aligning the correct gear tooth number to the 5 or 6 o'clock position. One thing to note is the number one is looking for is the speedo gear tooth number; not the tire size. The chart you provided shows what gear tooth number one needs with a given tire size and ratio.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I bought the correct speedo gear based on the cart. I have the 3.73 gear ratio (based on my build chart and rear of the pumpkin), I have 255/70/16 tires (=30.1" inches) and I got the 34 teeth gear. I also tried to rotate the speedo sensor but no luck.

My speedo is still 7 mph off, similar to the 36 teeth gear it had when I got it (5 mph off).

What else should I do?

5 to 7 or around 3 mph is normal for 2 teeth difference at about 60mph. It might help if you told us what direction your speedometer reads off and at what speed. Then you can figure out exactly what gear you need. Picking a gear isn't an exact science unless you take measurements first. The chart only gets you in the right ballpark.

5 to 7 or around 3 mph is normal for 2 teeth difference at about 60mph. It might help if you told us what direction your speedometer reads off and at what speed. Then you can figure out exactly what gear you need. Picking a gear isn't an exact science unless you take measurements first. The chart only gets you in the right ballpark.
When the speedometer reads off 40mph, actual speed is 33.

Yes, I picked the 34 teeth gear based on the chart and my ratio/tires.

You probably have 4.56 gears and need a 41 tooth gear, a 42 will work too but not quite as close. You might research how to check your axle gear ratio.

Edit: 41 tooth will read a bit high, and 42 will read a bit low if everything else is working but check your axle ratio before you buy another gear

Subjective question here: Is it worth doing this 31" tires? Not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze.

My speedometer was closer on 31" tires than stock. Have you checked yours with GPS?
No, but I also haven't swapped in the 31s yet either. I may do that though just to check, both before and after the swap. Good call out.

What's the consensus on which tire size to use in the equation?

What the manufacturer claims (35')?

Or what the tape measure says (closer to 33')?

Split the difference? Which direction (more teeth or less teeth) will make the speedo read faster?

Split the difference? Which direction (more teeth or less teeth) will make the speedo read faster?
The best way is GPS vs speedometer reading, no guesswork.

I've never seen 35' tires...that's craaaaaazy. That's like three stories! Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

so as per the chart I need a 41 tooth gear.

Searched amazon and I see a 41 tooth "long". Does anyone know off hand what my 04 would use, long or short??

Subjective question here: Is it worth doing this 31" tires? Not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze.

When I went from the stock 30” tires to 31’s, I planned on changing the speedo gear. After making the switch I was driving and the speedometer, Garmin GPS and the GPS on my phone all matched, so I didn’t change it. I never paid attention to it before the change to see if they were off with the 30” tires.

Reactions: Equilibrium31
If you have a 97-06 Wrangler TJ and recently went to bigger tires, you'll probably notice that your speedometer is off. This is an easy fix by purchasing the correct gear for your tire size and ring and pinion.

NOTE: This will not work on 03-06 Rubicon models. See the bottom of this post for more details on what to do if you have a Rubicon.

Here's a chart to help you determine the correct speedometer gear:

View attachment 13277

The speedo gear swap/change takes a mere 5 minutes and only one wrench. This is an easy job that anyone can do.

Item's needed:
  • 1/2'' wrench (socket works too).
  • Some paper towels or rag. (you will drip a bit of ATF)
  • Correct speedo gear for your tire size/axle gear ratio.
  • New O-ring for the drive housing. (for $3 at the dealer, change it for cheap insurance)

View attachment 103

Once you have everything ready locate the Speedo Gear drive on the rear output shaft of the transfer case. (easily seen from the rear of the t-case skid)

View attachment 104

First action to take is to remove the electric connector. Push the lock clip out "the red tab" and press on the connector release and pull it off.

View attachment 105

Next step is to remove the 1/2'' bolt and wishbone clamp from the tail housing. Set these to the side.

View attachment 106

Once the clamp is removed you can now remove the drive housing. It will be secured tight in the tail housing..just work it back and forth until it pops out.

View attachment 107

Now it is time to remove the old gear and install the new. To remove the old just grab the gear in one hand and the drive housing in the other...pull. It pops right out with little effort.
Pull the old O-ring off of the drive housing and install the new one.

View attachment 108

Install the new speedo gear by pushing it into the drive sensor housing. Be careful not to pinch the o-ring when installing. (helps if you rub a bit of atf on the o-ring)

NOW...here is a little thing that a lot of people miss. The speedo gear is offset in the sensor housing. This is to adapt to different size gears. And there is 3 clocked position that you can install it. "But how do I do that?" Easy...look on the side of the drive sensor housing.

You will see the numbers....
26-31
32-38
39-45

View attachment 109
View attachment 110 This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
View attachment 111

Simply find where your speedo gear tooth number falls. When you install the unit into the rear tail housing point the number that your gear fall in down at the 5 o'clock position of the hole. Press the gear into the tailshaft.

View attachment 112

Install the wishbone clamp and bolt to secure the drive sensor housing. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN the bolt. The tail housing is aluminum. Just snug it down good. Don't crank on it.
Besure you set the clamp teeth into the cuts in the drive housing.

View attachment 113

Plug the electric connector back in and you are done.

Here you will see the position that your speedo gear tooth count should be angled down. And a completed install. The installed speedo gear in this application was a 41 tooth gear...so 39-45 is down at the 5 o'clock position of the hole.

View attachment 114

How to Correct the Speedometer on Rubicon Models
This above speedometer gear change not work on 03-06 Rubicon models. The speedometer on these is electronically controlled and therefore you only have two options:

1) Some dealers are able to re-program the ECU so that it the speedometer will accommodate for different gearing and larger tires.

2) There are several electronic speedometer calibrators out there, but the one I suggest is the Speedo Healer by Blue Monkey. It's 100% plug-and-play, and uses factory style connectors. Note that you can also use one of these speedometer recalibration modules on a non-Rubicon model (as oppose to swapping the speedo gear as outlined above), but I'm not sure why you'd bother wasting the time and money, when swapping the speedometer gear is both cheaper and easier.
I unfortunately have a 3.07 gear ratio (2002 TJ automatic, 4.0) and 33" tires (yes I know, not ideal- bought it this way without proper knowledge). Since the chart is blank for this combination, does that mean I cannot change the speedometer gear? I can't afford to regear at this time but the speedometer being 5 MPH off drives me crazy. Am I just stuck with it until I regear?

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I unfortunately have a 3.07 gear ratio (2002 TJ automatic, 4.0) and 33" tires (yes I know, not ideal- bought it this way without proper knowledge). Since the chart is blank for this combination, does that mean I cannot change the speedometer gear? I can't afford to regear at this time but the speedometer being 5 MPH off drives me crazy. Am I just stuck with it until I regear?

You can change it, I'm just not entirely sure what tooth gear you'd need, as that's an uncommon gear ratio.

You could just do it with the digital speedo healer which is what I'd recommend:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=323468753684

You can change it, I'm just not entirely sure what tooth gear you'd need, as that's an uncommon gear ratio.
Uncommon indeed, only on every manual 5 speed 4.0 Wrangler ever built.

You might not need an expensive speedohealer to solve your problem. If you ever plan on changing tire size again the cost of speedometer gears adds up fast so keep that in mind too. Your combination is just a bit outside of the range of speedometer gears available but it shouldn't be too bad. If you do some math and have access to a gps speedometer like a cell phone you can find out.

First you need to know what your stock speedometer gear is, it can range from 28-31 depending on the tires your Jeep had from the factory. Look at the door jam sticker and find the correct gear. You can calculate this but it's easier if you have the sticker. If you guess the wrong gear all the math will be off. Personally I'd pull the gear and check it with my own eyes before I spent any money on a new one.

3.07 AXLE RATIO,28 Teeth. 30x9.5R15
3.07 AXLE RATIO,29Teeth. All 225/245 Tires.
3.07 AXLE RATIO,30Teeth. All 215 Tires.
3.07 AXLE RATIO, 31Teeth. All 205 Tires

Next use a single speed measurement to find the answer.

Speedo Speed / Actual Speed * Current Teeth = New Gear

For example if your speedometer reads exactly 60 and you are really going 66 according to GPS and your Jeep originally had 215 tires then

60 / 66 * 30 = 27.27

In this example you probably should get a 27 tooth gear. It will read a little high ( 0.6 mph), you could also get a 28 tooth but it will read a bit more low (1.7 mph). This is just an example I pulled out of the hat, don't use these numbers.

If your answer is lower than 26 just plug in 26 and see how close you get.

Just ask if you get stuck anywhere, the chart is more of a set of guidelines and not actual rules and a bit outdated these days. Sorry for the wall of text.

Uncommon indeed, only on every manual 5 speed 4.0 Wrangler ever built.

Including the Rubicon models :rolleyes:

What about the ones that come with 3.55 and 3.73? Or did every single manual 5-speed 4.0 come with 3.07?