How to repair a broken air compressor in a Warn PowerPlant

Fuse, excellent write up.

In your first post, you stated "the compressor piston has a direct connection to the motor, so it runs even when you're just using the winch."

I would like to DISABLE the air compressor section of my Powerplant 12k, such that the motor will no longer waste power in turning the compressor's crankshaft (my powerplant will become a "winch only").

Since you have had yours apart, I figured you would be a good person to ask.

What would be the best way to disengage the motor from the air compressor section of the Powerplant?

Many apologies for the dumb question. I suppose I just need to dismantle mine and figure it out. Thanks!

IMG_3668.JPG

Fuse, excellent write up.

In your first post, you stated "the compressor piston has a direct connection to the motor, so it runs even when you're just using the winch."

I would like to DISABLE the air compressor section of my Powerplant 12k, such that the motor will no longer waste power in turning the compressor's crankshaft (my powerplant will become a "winch only").

Since you have had yours apart, I figured you would be a good person to ask.

What would be the best way to disengage the motor from the air compressor section of the Powerplant?

Many apologies for the dumb question. I suppose I just need to dismantle mine and figure it out. Thanks!

View attachment 356179

That's easy! Just remove the drive belt for the compressor piston (although you have to dig pretty deep to do it). Then, if you like, you can remove the whole piston. Although without the drive belt it's not doing anything.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ressor-in-a-warn-powerplant.44676/post-756566
I see you have two PowerPlants there, but without their covers. You can run them like that, but you do have to keep the compressor head and intercooler because they're integral to the structure of the winch.

such that the motor will no longer waste power in turning the compressor's crankshaft

By the way, I wouldn't worry about that at all. If you don't have an air hose hooked up, the compressor output is fully open so it's not going to affect the winch performance in any measurable way.

On the other hand, if you want to make the winch more water resistant after disabling the compressor, you could seal the compressor input and output and the vent/drain at the bottom of the crankcase.

That's easy! Just remove the drive belt for the compressor piston (although you have to dig pretty deep to do it). Then, if you like, you can remove the whole piston. Although without the drive belt it's not doing anything.

[URL]https://wranglertjforum.com/th...ressor-in-a-warn-powerplant.44676/post-756566[/URL]

I see you have two PowerPlants there, but without their covers. You can run them like that, but you do have to keep the compressor head and intercooler because they're integral to the structure of the winch.

Yep if you want winch only you can remove the belt. Try as I might to makes something work, Warn left no room for selectable drive and they did not want to make the winch any more complicated as it was.

Reactions: fuse
Yep if you want winch only you can remove the belt. Try as I might to makes something work, Warn left no room for selectable drive and they did not want to make the winch any more complicated as it was.

Hmm. Maybe you already though of this, but what if there was a movable idler gear between the motor shaft and piston gear?

Great, Thanks. Yeah, I picked these up at the local Sheriff's auction. I am still trying to determine if the solenoids are functional. I notice that these two winches have different solenoids (if you look close at the photo, it should be apparent). Next question: Should these solenoids be bad, is there a way for me to use some of those "old Ford start solenoids" to rig up a way to power in and power out the cable? May have to start a new thread. Thanks

Great, Thanks. Yeah, I picked these up at the local Sheriff's auction. I am still trying to determine if the solenoids are functional. I notice that these two winches have different solenoids (if you look close at the photo, it should be apparent). Next question: Should these solenoids be bad, is there a way for me to use some of those "old Ford start solenoids" to rig up a way to power in and power out the cable? May have to start a new thread. Thanks

The Warn contactor upgrades for PowerPlants are still available, so that might be an option. If you can get a different solenoid to work, definitely make a new thread for that!

I think I saw an electrical bench test procedure for the PowerPlant somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe it was for another Warn winch. That might be useful if you run across it.