Warn mid frame winch resource thread

As a value winch they are ok. I prefer the previous gen VR personally and the EVO is under recall for an issue with wit the wireless remote.
"EVO is under recall for an issue with wit the wireless remote" Cut mine off and just wired the remote like normal.

JMT try and buy cheaper, good winch and syn line is worth near half that ?? My cheap advice. D

Not sure exactly what you’re saying. I have an XD9000i, so I don’t need a winch, but I am often on the lookout for a good deal. I tried to convince my son to buy this one since he’s running a Badlands.

Not sure exactly what you’re saying. I have an XD9000i, so I don’t need a winch, but I am often on the lookout for a good deal. I tried to convince my son to buy this one since he’s running a Badlands.
If you are on the hunt I would look for the non EVO VR winches myself. I just feel they are better and not under recall like the EVO is right now for the wireless control having issues.

The only mid frame that can use this motor is either the 9.5xp which it is for or a xd9000 with the 156:1 ratio. The other mid frames either have the wrong gear ratio and the I series frames cannot accommodate the larger solenoids or contactor needed for the larger motor.

I’m assuming the XD9000i can also use the 9.5xp motor? Is that correct?

If so, I should look for one.

Well not so fast. You cannot put solenoids in the upper housing that will handle the higher amp loads the the larger motor puts out. Since we put the longer bolts in the frame I think that will be fine but I do not have a good answer for the solenoids.

Reactions: JMT
So lets talk about frames. This will take a couple posts so bear with me.

First up is the original mid frame. This is an original M6000. All the early planetary winches were painted black. Key things to notice are the more svelte (yep I used that to describe a winch) drum supports, the smaller drum flange, and the solid tie bars that have male threads turned into them. Some of these even had plastic clutch knobs but that was short lived due to durability issues. There are not as many of these winches out there anymore and if you do find one I personally would pass on it as the cost to keep them operational is high as you have to retro fit newer gen parts to them.

m6iii.jpg

m6ii.jpg

m6i.jpg

In the mid 90s or so the frames were updated to what is still used today. Beefier drum supports, larger and slightly thicker drum flanges, larger diameter aluminum tube for the tie bars (this was done also to speed production as they use self tapping capscrews vs having to machine them) and the now classic "Argent" color.
m8000late.jpg

Along with the newer frame was the first integrated or "I" series winch with the x8000i. Basically a M8000 with a special deck that spanned with the tie bars and a plastic cover that housed the solenoids giving a cleaner appearance.
x8000i.jpg

x8000ii.jpg

As always a HUGE Thank You for all your knowledge and advice when it comes to the Warn winch.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/ApeyPO6Yi8HBs8Yfyg" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

Can't wait to get working on my 8274 super dawg.

I searched and was lucky to catch 4 Wheel Hardware selling the motor for $227. You won't find them for that price now. It should make my 8274 rock & roll.

Is there any way to tell the age of a given M8000 by the serial number?

Good question

So the answer is yes and kinda. So the early planetary winches used the same 3 digit dates codes the 8274 did. Somewhere in the 90s Warn changed the way that serial numbers were assigned to all the winches and the date code was no longer used. For those winches you will have to contact Warn and they can give you the date range that serial number was used in.

Reactions: Zorba and Wildman
So a couple years after the introduction of the x8000i Warn decided to give it an upgrade and along with it came the introduction of the xd9000i. A completely new frame that eliminated the plastic cover for extrusions that not only held the solenoids but raised them higher above the drum allowing an increase of wire rope capacity from 100 to 125 feet on the xd9000i. These changes made these very popular until the 9.5ti came on the scene in the 2002. Thank you to @JMT for the good example pic.

xd9000ii.jpeg

So fall of 1999 the High Speeds blasted onto the scene. For a long time Warn has tried to find a way to produce a winch that provided performance characteristics that matched those of 8274 in an effort to retire the king. Planetary winches by nature are not the best at providing high no load line speeds due to the higher internal friction of the gears and the associated braking mechanisms. So in an effort to combat this Warn took the xd9000/i and moved the first stage planetary to the motor side of the winch using a special casting, motor with sun gear integrated into the armature and a specially modified brake. What this accomplished was a reduction brake RPMs by a factor of 6 which reduced a substantial amount of friction. The net results are an advertised increase of pulling power to 9500 pounds which like the 9.5xp was most likely sandbagged. The other net effects were not only increased no load line speed from 38 to 62 FPM the full pull line speed went up from 3.9 FPM on the 9000s to 6.67 on the 9500. Amp draw was also decreased from 478 amps at full pull on the 9000s to 425 on the 9500s. They were not without a few teething issues in the beginning. First was the brake took some dialing in which included taking the brake lining segments and splitting them from three to six. The next issue in a way was as much user related as it was a design issue and that was the first stage planetary drive plate failing. What was happening is many customers had never experienced a winch that was this fast. Coupled with that speed similar to the 8274 was the amount of run on after you let off the remote that led to users panicking and hitting power out (what is referred to as plugging) and the shock led to the plate failures. Warn beefed up the planetary and those failures subsided. Last was a long term issue I have only seen one time and that was a crushed drum pin. This was also corrected by beefing up the drum wall thickness.

hs9500ii.jpg

hs9500iii.jpg

hs9500iiii.jpg

So 2003 along with the 9.5xp was the introduction of the 9.5ti (thermometric indicator) which replaced the hs9500i. A complete new look, sealing like the XP received and the addition of a thermo switch in the motor that turned on a led in the pendant to let the user know that the winch motor was getting hot. It was later updated in 2011 to the 9.5cti which replaced the solenoids with a contactor.

9.5ti.jpg

95cti.jpg