How warm is the inside of your TJ?

I've got second degree burns on my feet from running my heat on high in zero temps.
I second this! I don’t drive my jeep in the winter anymore, but the first year I got it I did. Living in northern Michigan below 0 temps are sorta normal. I remember when I first drove it in winter. My feet were getting warm, I didn’t realize how hot until I moved my toes in my boots and and about burnt them on the top of my boots!

I had the factory soft top, but was always amazed how warm it got in there. Even the soft top fabric would be hot to the touch on the inside. I replaced my factory top with a pavement ends... the jeep still held heat. But the pavement ends fabric would be cold to the touch.
My TJ has the best heat of any vehicle I have ever owned

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I think this is my first bet, do you mean the "reverse flush" for the core, or just a coolant flush?

What was this like when it failed?

I think part of my problem might be that my coolant is diluted, since when I did coolant flushes using the radiator petcock instead of the block plug I probably left some of the distilled water inside the block.

I have not checked that... how did you determine yours wasn't working? Do you have a link to that part?
http://heatertreater.net/jeep-wrangler-97-06. I had my usual mechanic check the temps in the area before the blend door and the A/C was very cold, but the temp was mild at best at the dash vents. It was going to be a bit of a job to replace as the whole dash need to be removed. I pulled the actuator off and tested it. It was working. Manually turning the door axle i noticed the door was hanging up and not moving smoothly. Decided to take a leap and pull it out and replace with the Heatertreater door. When I removed the OEM door, it was noticeably bent/warped. The replacement was fairly easy with a dremmel. I did have to play around with the door a bit as the fit did not seem perfect. I added some thin foam strip insulation to the edges of the door to make a better seal. If you don’t mind pulling the dash, i would replace the door with OEM. If you want to save a ton of time and money, the Heatertreater might be the way to go.
The first step would be pull the actuator and see if you can move the door back and forth and see how the temp changes at the vents. And turn the temp knob and make sure the actuator moves correctly.

Reactions: ColoJeep
I think this is my first bet, do you mean the "reverse flush" for the core, or just a coolant flush?

What was this like when it failed?

I think part of my problem might be that my coolant is diluted, since when I did coolant flushes using the radiator petcock instead of the block plug I probably left some of the distilled water inside the block.

I have not checked that... how did you determine yours wasn't working? Do you have a link to that part?
My HVAC wasn’t blowing at all. PO said he never had it working. After reading threads on this forum I also replaced the switch panel, blower, resistor and door actuator. The switch panel contacts had melted due to the resistor going out and allowing voltage to pass through to the panel.

So I'm reading about the blend door... sounds like it's purpose is for directing air to the specific vents you have selected (Feet/head/defrost)? If this correct, can I rule out the blend door if my HVAC does correctly switch between vents when I change settings? Or maybe it does more than just selects vents.

My HVAC wasn’t blowing at all. PO said he never had it working. After reading threads on this forum I also replaced the switch panel, blower, resistor and door actuator. The switch panel contacts had melted due to the resistor going out and allowing voltage to pass through to the panel.
Okay wow you had to do almost a full rebuild of the system it sounds like... hoping it doesn't come down to that. It is feeling like maybe the heater core is plugged up since I get some heat but not much.

I'm going to check out a few things today, but I can't pull it into the garage to do any kind of fluid flushing until I get my other car running to switch them around. Dang 1-car garage. Just waiting on some hoses in the mail, should have that done by next weekend (if they don't end up cancelling my order...)

So I'm reading about the blend door... sounds like it's purpose is for directing air to the specific vents you have selected (Feet/head/defrost)? If this correct, can I rule out the blend door if my HVAC does correctly switch between vents when I change settings? Or maybe it does more than just selects vents.

Okay wow you had to do almost a full rebuild of the system it sounds like... hoping it doesn't come down to that. It is feeling like maybe the heater core is plugged up since I get some heat but not much.

I'm going to check out a few things today, but I can't pull it into the garage to do any kind of fluid flushing until I get my other car running to switch them around. Dang 1-car garage. Just waiting on some hoses in the mail, should have that done by next weekend (if they don't end up cancelling my order...)
The door blends hot and cold air only. If it is not making a good seal, the hot air can mix with the cold air and vice versa making for moderate temps when the dial is on max cold or max heat.

I'm new here and am having the same issues with the 99 we just got my teenager. It's middle of winter here and the inside it like luke warm. I have a new thermostat that I will put in after spring break. I am going to flush the heater core once it's above freezing. Probably in May or so. Having done some reading, I think I may need to replace the radiator as well since It seems to have a small leak somewhere. I may have to check a few other things from reading this post.

I'm new here and am having the same issues with the 99 we just got my teenager. It's middle of winter here and the inside it like luke warm. I have a new thermostat that I will put in after spring break. I am going to flush the heater core once it's above freezing. Probably in May or so. Having done some reading, I think I may need to replace the radiator as well since It seems to have a small leak somewhere. I may have to check a few other things from reading this post.
Welcome to the Forum TX99517!
I also have a 99 TJ.
This is a shot of my discharge air temp from the center dash vent.
This is after driving 40 miles, full hot temp on dial, on the second fan setting. 20 degrees F. outside.
The Jeep is warm, but definitely not hot, ( unless your use to driving a CJ ). :ROFLMAO:
IMG_0739.jpg

Reactions: lBasket
Funny thing, it was warm (no thermometer) on my drive home. I’m wondering a few things. I put som le of that radiator leak stopper in when we changed the oil. I drove to work this morning (13) miles with the heat full blast like the instructions said.
Drove home and put the center vents on and it was comfortable warm, but not hot.
I noticed my temp gauge was hanging around the 220 while driving and then dropping below 210 at idle.
I also had steam coming from engine when stopped in driveway idling. Stopped when I drove.
I’m convinced at this point the radiator is shot. I’m also wondering if the hose from thermostat to heater core has a hole as I found a drop of coolant on one.
Anyway, outside temp was 17 and the drive home was comfortable. Didn’t need gloves.

I finally got around to the reverse flush and it made a huge difference. A lot of crap came out, I filled a bucket twice then switched directions until little flakes stopped coming out, took probably 20 buckets or so. The heat works much much better now! Just in time for summer!

• Haha
Reactions: Modoc Guy
I finally got around to the reverse flush and it made a huge difference. A lot of crap came out, I filled a bucket twice then switched directions until little flakes stopped coming out, took probably 20 buckets or so. The heat works much much better now! Just in time for summer!
What did you use to flush? I'm waiting till we get steady above freezing temps so I can use the hose outside.

What did you use to flush? I'm waiting till we get steady above freezing temps so I can use the hose outside.
I had used some prestone radiator flush liquid recently, so I just went to autozone and they have a loaner tool for 20$ that the heater core hoses attach too and you can screw a garden hose on the other side. I just pushed water back and forth til nothing was coming with it

Most folks here recommend Thermocure. I’ve used it and it works primo.

It’s non-toxic, biodegradable, non- corrosive, non-flammable, and easy to use.

Damn, I sound just like a commercial! 🤣

Reactions: Mrhp and TX99517
What equipment and / or supplies did you use for the flush? Asking cuz I gotta do mine as it’s been bypassed from previous owner. Gotta find out if heater core is shot or just needs a flushing.
Any advice will help.
Thanks!
Scott T.

What equipment and / or supplies did you use for the flush? Asking cuz I gotta do mine as it’s been bypassed from previous owner. Gotta find out if heater core is shot or just needs a flushing.
Any advice will help.
Thanks!
Scott T.
If its bypassed odd are that the heater core has a leak. Replacement requires removing the dash, you will find many threads on the job. I have not done mine yet.

Driving on the highway on Saturday and realized it was COLD in the TJ. It was around 2 degrees, but still, the other convertible has no issues getting nice and toasty in temps like that. I've got a factory hardtop, and I can't hear any whistling/whooshing at any seals. Curious if this is normal or maybe something is up with my HVAC system?

How warm is your TJ in cold weather?

Jealous of you guys that have the heated seats installed...
2 degrees! Geeeze. Stay home, and whatever you do, dont lick a flagpole.

• Haha
Reactions: mushdogs
2 degrees! Geeeze. Stay home, and whatever you do, dont lick a flagpole.
But it’s fun to watch when people do that! They really start squirming when you tell them you have to pee on it to warm it up enough. 🤣