Huge oil consumption, any idea before testing?

smithcaz

TJ Enthusiast
4.0L with 99,000 miles on it. The engine is using about 1 quart every 200 miles. I have not done a compression test or leak down test yet, have not had the time to do either at this point.

If the Jeep is parked, there will be no oil on the ground.
When the Jeep is started there is no cloud of smoke from the tailpipe.
When the Jeep is driven, there is no smoke that comes from the tailpipe.
If I put a piece of cardboard under the tailpipe there is condensation that comes out and gets the cardboard wet but it does not appear oily.
At first startup after sitting for hours, there is moisture and some black stuff (soot?) that comes out of the tailpipe but the black quickly goes away after 20-30 seconds.
The oil filler cap has a small amount of oil around it, this was clean and dry when the oil change was done so I know this is not from me missing the hole when filling.
The air filter has a small amount of oil on it from the vent tube but not enough to be where all the oil is going.
Engine coolant level and color does not change.

I have dealt with leaks and the puddles of oil on the floor. I have dealt with burning oil from bad rings or valve seals and the indication from the tailpipe and blue smoke at startup, after idle or during acceleration or deceleration. This Jeep shows no of those signs.

So the question before my testing, where is all my oil going? Is the leak so large that the amount of oil going into the combustion chamber cannot be burned and is just thrown out the tailpipe? Are the exhaust valve seals so bad that it is dumping it into the exhaust and throwing it out the tailpipe?

Thanks for the info, I ordered a new valve and grommets, I cannot imagine that being the total cause of the oil consumption but it cannot hurt to swap it.

I'd put a qt of diesel in the (warm) crankcase and let it run at a high idle for 5 min or so and then do an oil change. That should help loosen up any rings that don't want to seal up properly and help to get any sludgy deposits elsewhere in the engine. Look in the valve cover first. If you see large amounts of buildup then don't do this. Only if everything looks basically clean. But that is a ton of oil to loose. If it isn't burning it or leaking it or getting into the coolant then perhaps your neighbor has found a way to do his oil changes on the cheap.😉

Reactions: Daryl
Spark plugs are the first thing I look at. It tells me if I have a bad cylinder or a worn out engine. Either way the oil is not disappearing. It is either going out on the ground or burning in the cylinder(s). Losing 1 qt in 200 miles would leave some obvious clues.

I just noticed this same issue last weekend when I took a trip and I pulled into a town to fill up and my oil pressure dropped. Checked and was down 3 qts. Just did an oil change at 84k miles and was at 84900. Checked again when I got home and was down 2 qts. I'll follow up when I find out whats going on with the ol gal.

I just noticed this same issue last weekend when I took a trip and I pulled into a town to fill up and my oil pressure dropped. Checked and was down 3 qts. Just did an oil change at 84k miles and was at 84900. Checked again when I got home and was down 2 qts. I'll follow up when I find out whats going on with the ol gal.

So... pulled plugs on the engine, nothing crazy there other than they were worn. did a compression test and got 120PSI on all cylinders other than 2 and 5, which were at 100psi. Gonna grab a scope and check her out tomorrow.... see if there's any scaring on those walls or if its just stuck rings. My engine sat for a while, as it was someone else's project, got her running back in 2019 and then she sat for about 18 months while I did everything else my OCD brain wanted done to her.

Also put it new PCV and CCV as well as rubber gaskets.