Hunting for a Dana 44

SkylinesSuck

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I know Dana 44 rears are about as rare as hen's teeth. I'm looking for one with 4.10's to swap for my 8.8 which I need to replace for various reasons. I was expecting to have to order a new assembly and pay $3k-$5k, but this pops up in Google and seems too good to be true:

https://allusedparts.com/jeep/tj/20...G2oBlC8kkMIvb-TRbR7iy5ODWkLmbB_MaAvHSEALw_wcB
Am I missing something here? And other suggestions besides continuing to watch CL and FB?

It looks like those axles are D35s not Dana 44 but I may be missing something. Couple years back I purchased a 30 and 35 set with 4.10 gears for $550 for both on CL. So if 35s are the route your heading, I would keep looking.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Jeez, how obvious. Yes, you are correct. I searched dana 44 so I assumed that's what they were, but yes, those are all D35c turds. Thanks. And yes, a Dana 35 won't cut it for me, but the 8.8 I have now doesn't play well with my TT amongst other reasons.

I paid $500 for my Dana 44 from an older Sport model off Craigslist a couple years back. Came with 4.88 and rebuilt tracloc. Didn’t use the insides and I regeared and added a true trac when I had it installed. So I guess I ended up paying $500 for the housing and axle shafts

• Wow
Reactions: hear
It took me awhile to find a Dana 44 rear axle last October. I called all the local shops at the time and no one had one. I would advise calling them and seeing what they have. Chris at Powerhouse down in Manassas might have as he works on a lot of TJs. I ended up finding one from a yard outside Baltimore with 3.73s. I'm on 4.88s so I just needed the housing. Sold Rich the gears and axle shafts out of and got a detroit and shafts from Blain and re-used my R&P. Good luck!!

Just curious if anybody has anything good or bad to say about buying an entire Dana 44 assembly from ECG with an Eaton E-locker and their disc brakes already installed. I'm thinking about going that route.

Reactions: MichaelGH
Just curious if anybody has anything good or bad to say about buying an entire Dana 44 assembly from ECG with an Eaton E-locker and their disc brakes already installed. I'm thinking about going that route.
Have you considered the ECG 489? Which is obviously NOT a TJ Dana44.

I hadn't, no. I'll look in to it. I'm not stuck on a Dana 44, and I doubt I'll ever go past 35's (famous last words), but I'm open to other options.

I was out of the country for about 10 yrs and the 8.8 was supposed to be a great option when I left. I got back to the states and the local shop I went to said they couldn't find a Dana 44, but recommended an 8.8 swap and what a coincidence, they had one sitting right there ready to go! 🙁 And actually it is totally viable for anything 4" of lift or less I think. But I'm at 3-4" plus a tummy tuck which puts my angles all kinds of out of whack. Anything that'll fix that I'm open to. That's why I'm chasing a Dana 44 plus planning on a SS SYE. Might as well do them both at the same time and pay for a(nother) driveshaft only one (more) time.

Besides ECG, anybody have any comments on the Eaton E-locker?

Too bad the axle in Kent is bent. I'm going through there next week to watch my Indians play one more time before they aren't the Indians anymore 😖

No Brag just fact, but...

I bought a new MOPAR with 3.73 gears in July 2005 for less than 1000 dollars delivered.

So according to the Federal Reserve it would be 1400 bucks today.

It's good to know your dollar in 2005 is worth 70 cents today.

Sorry not helping the thread much.

I hadn't, no. I'll look in to it. I'm not stuck on a Dana 44, and I doubt I'll ever go past 35's (famous last words), but I'm open to other options.

I was out of the country for about 10 yrs and the 8.8 was supposed to be a great option when I left. I got back to the states and the local shop I went to said they couldn't find a Dana 44, but recommended an 8.8 swap and what a coincidence, they had one sitting right there ready to go! 🙁 And actually it is totally viable for anything 4" of lift or less I think. But I'm at 3-4" plus a tummy tuck which puts my angles all kinds of out of whack. Anything that'll fix that I'm open to. That's why I'm chasing a Dana 44 plus planning on a SS SYE. Might as well do them both at the same time and pay for a(nother) driveshaft only one (more) time.

Besides ECG, anybody have any comments on the Eaton E-locker?

Too bad the axle in Kent is bent. I'm going through there next week to watch my Indians play one more time before they aren't the Indians anymore 😖
Yes, check it out. One upon a time it was on my wish list. The ECG 489 is essentially a JK Dana 44 that's narrowed to the TJ width with all the TJ brackets ready to go.
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-16588364-dana-489-tj-rear-bolt-in-axle-assembly-35-spline.html
I have Eatons in both my axles and highly recommend them. 👌

I know the LOVE for the 8.8 here so expect to get TOLD but what exactly is the issue with the TT & lift that is causing you issues?
From what I saw the pinion angle was very steep, to the point where the vibes were gone, but the driveshaft, even after being clearanced, was almost binding at ride height. He's running a standard SYE and a driveshaft that was built custom locally. It's possible a SS SYE and better driveshaft could help. Might be a good idea to call Tom Woods and see what they can do. If I also remember correctly, he got the shaft made locally because TW had parts availability issues.