I hope you future JL owners have a lot of money...

Try to price out a suburban, sequoia or Tahoe. Or a 1 ton diesel pickup. 70+ grand for a new vehicle. You can buy some houses for that price in the Midwest.

That's just stupid. I'm sorry, but unless you're loaded enough that you can afford to buy that outright, only a fool would finance a vehicle that costs 70k plus. Talk about your vehicle owning you!

Reactions: UpperMI
Yes, then you put that away for college savings, and my $13K property tax bill just showed up, it is always something....I can't wait to get out of NY!

WOW! My property tax is $3600 a year, and we live in a very nice area.

My daycare bill for 2 was more than my mortgage at the time....we always waffle back and forth even now (kids are 15 and 19) if we did the right thing. financially it was, as my wife's career kept moving forward but she still sometimes says "no one ever died saying I wish I worked more"

Very true. It’s a hard decision to make at the time. We talked about her quiting when no. 2 was born but she wasn’t ready to give up her career yet. After the third one was born (and as she turned 40), we realized that due to crazy school schedules and the sheer cost of day care, that it made sense for her to quit. She had also been with the same company for 15 years and had had a enough. Plus she wanted to Ben more involved with our kids lives as they grew up.

Yep I hear ya....Funny thing is ( actually not so funny) but nobody ever stopped in front of my house and said "holy shit look at that place" it is just a 1966 colonial, 2200 Sq feet....my next door neighbor is $23K, across the street is $18K and one of the newer houses behind me is $32K/year, taxes out here suck, we have county police officers making $150K per year at 5 years of service before OT, 6 figure teachers are very common.....all of that comes from taxes. 63% of my taxes go to the schools.....now New York city is only 45 minutes away and much more dangerous and cops there make 30% less!!!

And this is not meant as disrespect for either police or teachers...just trying to explain why taxes are high

Reactions: MikeM
Yep I hear ya....Funny thing is ( actually not so funny) but nobody ever stopped in front of my house and said "holy shit look at that place" it is just a 1966 colonial, 2200 Sq feet....my next door neighbor is $23K, across the street is $18K and one of the newer houses behind me is $32K/year, taxes out here suck, we have county police officers making $150K per year at 5 years of service before OT, 6 figure teachers are very common.....all of that comes from taxes. 63% of my taxes go to the schools.....now New York city is only 45 minutes away and much more dangerous and cops there make 30% less!!!

And this is not meant as disrespect for either police or teachers...just trying to explain why taxes are high

How long until you move? And where are you moving to?

Ha... I don't blame you, I'd be out of there first chance I got. I don't mind paying some taxes, but that amount is just absolutely nuts.

How long until you move? And where are you moving to?

I am 50 now, #1 son is sophomore in college, daughter is sophomore in HS....I would love to do it in 5 years...not having retirement medical insurance might play into that time frame also if kids come back home will screw that up. I am pushing them to go away to college and stay there. My son is in NH, my daughter likes new england also so we might end up with a place up there but I am also thinking of maybe NC or TN. Will have to start visiting those states soon to see.

$800 a year Bob! I am moving out by you. My electric bill is higher than that most months.

California ain't as bad as most depict it to be. Just stay out of the southern part. I'd guess the same place in LA would be comparable to you right coaster's.

I am 50 now, #1 son is sophomore in college, daughter is sophomore in HS....I would love to do it in 5 years...not having retirement medical insurance might play into that time frame also if kids come back home will screw that up. I am pushing them to go away to college and stay there. My son is in NH, my daughter likes new england also so we might end up with a place up there but I am also thinking of maybe NC or TN. Will have to start visiting those states soon to see.

Both Nc and TN have great areas to explore with your jeep. The Appalachian mountains are gorgeous around Asheville NC. Loved My visit to that area.

California ain't as bad as most depict it to be. Just stay out of the southern part. I'd guess the same place in LA would be comparable to you right coaster's.

And avoid Silicon Valley. Your Housing cost alone has to be 1/3 to 1/4 of what I have to pay. My property taxes are $16,000 per year. @cliffish, taxes are set at 1% of the purchase price of your home. Then your local area may have a few parcel taxes. The good thing is with prop 13 (which was passed by voters in the 1970’s), a person’s base tax rate can only increase by 2% each year.

I went from making very little money to making a very good income overnight when I got my promotion. First thing I did was buy a brand new ford raptor. 2017 right off the lot. I will admit I was a dumbass in that moment hahaha. I will never do that again. Took a little hit when I let it go, but now I'm good and that huge weight is off of me. I'll prolly never buy brand new again. My jk was new, my grand Cherokee was new, and that raptor was new. I lost money on all of those. The tj is the first vehicle I feel good about driving. It's hard to explain but I know you guys get it

I went from making very little money to making a very good income overnight when I got my promotion. First thing I did was buy a brand new ford raptor. 2017 right off the lot. I will admit I was a dumbass in that moment hahaha. I will never do that again. Took a little hit when I let it go, but now I'm good and that huge weight is off of me. I'll prolly never buy brand new again. My jk was new, my grand Cherokee was new, and that raptor was new. I lost money on all of those. The tj is the first vehicle I feel good about driving. It's hard to explain but I know you guys get it

Yep, been there, done that. I'll never buy a new car again... ever. I've learned my lesson there more than once, that's for sure.

Reactions: homerjaguar
This was very therapeutic for me hahaha. I jumped into my "old" tj and drove home from work tonight and it was nice knowing that I wouldn't have a huge car payment ever again lol. Thank you guys!! Seriously tho the JL is gorgeous and will be undoubtedly the coolest when the turbo diesel comes out...but it's just not worth it. Not now anyway

Having my wife stay at home and watch the kids would be great. But, for us, a single wouldn’t be enough for what we want to do. Sure, we’d be able to “get by”. But that’s not what we have planned.

We want to be able to do lots of fun things with our kids when they get older. Traveling, camping, maybe even 4-wheelers.

Maybe even TJ’s for each family member :)