I think I lost my lift: Looking for suggestions

Jaime313

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ok Jeepers, need some suggestions and or recommendations. I'll try and be brief. (04 LJ Auto) I started with a Rough Country 3.25" SL 4 years ago (because I didn't know any better). Since then I've upgraded because I got Death Wobble last year but I still have the RC springs. I'm also on 50% life 35" GY Kevlar MTR. Well, I've also added some more substantial weight and didn't notice too much of my lift being gone until I pulled up right next to another LJ on 35's with a 3.5" Metalcloak SL and noticed our height differences. So, looks like I lost about half my lift and I just added 3" Rancho Shocks 5000x one month ago. And now I'm thinking of replacing my springs.

****** I'd really like to keep my shocks since I just got them but a little open. Which Coils Springs do you guys suggest? 2.5" OME HD, 3.5" Metalcloak, JKS 3", Savvy 3" or something else? By the way, nothing personal but I don't want a Body Lift, I know the added benefits but I'm ok without it. I do moderate wheeling with some rock crawling but mostly trails. I've included some pics while in the garage on level ground. And the rear measurement was taken with the Tire carrier and 35" tire NOT on the jeep. Any and all suggestions appreciated, Thanks

Metalcloak fenders all around and 4"flares
Metalcloak Rock Sliders
Heavy 3/16" Zombie looking steal from Bumper probably 50 lbs
Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 synthetic rope 70 lbs
Genright Drop down Tire carrier
Dirtworx Rear bumper
Currie/Savvy Arms all around
Adams custom rear DS and SYE
Barnes4wd Bolt on Skid
jks Tracbar 3.5" limit
Currie steering
JKS disco's

Driver.jpg

Passenger.jpg

Rear.jpg

Rear.jpg

If your Jeep is significantly heavier than most, you may need either taller springs or springs with a higher (stiffer) spring rate. The Currie 4" coils (as a part of the Savvy 4" lift kit) with LJ rear springs netted my TJ about 4.5" all around, with some steel bumpers and skids. A heavier jeep might only get 3.5" out of those springs.

Are the RS5000X shocks for the 3.5" lift or the 2.5" lift? If so they'll work well with a 4" spring kit, and should net you about 5" of uptravel assuming no tire contact issues. The 2.5" RS5000X shocks are probably too short for 4" coils.

Do you frequently change how much weight you carry? If you're constantly adding or removing cargo, you might consider airbags like the Air Lift 1000 universal kits or the Firestone airbags. Currie and JKS both sell the Adjustable Coil Over Spacer (ACOS) which can be used to restore lift and adjust ride height.

Reactions: Jaime313
I would talk to their technical people and tell them what you're up against...you want to try to make it all work out and not pick up any vibrations or end up riding in the hard part of the spring or the lower part of the shock travel.

If your Jeep is significantly heavier than most, you may need either taller springs or springs with a higher (stiffer) spring rate. The Currie 4" coils (as a part of the Savvy 4" lift kit) with LJ rear springs netted my TJ about 4.5" all around, with some steel bumpers and skids. A heavier jeep might only get 3.5" out of those springs.

Are the RS5000X shocks for the 3.5" lift or the 2.5" lift? If so they'll work well with a 4" spring kit, and should net you about 5" of uptravel assuming no tire contact issues. The 2.5" RS5000X shocks are probably too short for 4" coils.

Do you frequently change how much weight you carry? If you're constantly adding or removing cargo, you might consider airbags like the Air Lift 1000 universal kits or the Firestone airbags. Currie and JKS both sell the Adjustable Coil Over Spacer (ACOS) which can be used to restore lift and adjust ride height.

I don't know if my lift is significantly heavier but I know I added some good weight over stock. I used 3"Ranchos and I considered a larger lift but didn't want to push it with my 3.5" max Tracbar. I usually don't use my carrier or tire unless I go Wheelin and sometimes no back seat if I need to use it as a truck . The ACOS are something to consider, thanks

I'm just amazed you have no tire rub with no bumps. BDS makes a 3" spring with a pretty hefty rate. JKS is also intriguing.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I would talk to their technical people and tell them what you're up against...you want to try to make it all work out and not pick up any vibrations or end up riding in the hard part of the spring or the lower part of the shock travel.

I'll call them this week, great suggestion. Prior to this I had picked up a slightly used Teraflex belly up skid and Teraflex customer service believed it was the first version with no Body Lift needed. They were wrong and it vibrated like crazy. I did the SYE and custom Adams DS and the vibes still happened. It ended coming from my TC touching my tub. I picked up a Barnes skid and vibes are gone for the most part but I still have to adjust rear pinion angle.

I'm just amazed you have no tire rub with no bumps. BDS makes a 3" spring with a pretty hefty rate. JKS is also intriguing.
I've gotten some tire rubs on my sway bar after pretty steep trails and needing to turn sharp but thats it so far. I'm considering JKS and I don't anyone with BDS. So it seems like Savvy and JKS so far and maybe ACOS although I was wanting to finally get RC totally out of my Jeep.

Our jeeps look about the same weight-wise. I tun currie 4" spings and they netted me exactly 4 inches f/r so they would likely put you over your 3.5 Torrance. (mine measures 16 Front 12 rear)

Stock is 12 front 8 rear. It looks like your at 1-inch lift... I haven't heard anything bad about MC springs from anyone who runs them. (or any of the other brands suggested for that matter)

Last edited:
Our jeeps look about the same weight-wise. I have currie 4" spings and they netted me exactly 4 inches f/r so they would likely put you over your 3.5 Torrance. (mine measures 16 Front 12 rear)

Stock is 12 front 8 rear. It looks like your at 1-inch lift... I haven't heard anything bad about MC springs from anyone who runs them. (or any of the other brands suggested for that matter)
Ok, so 3" Currie or Savvy or Metalclaok, although I do wonder what JKS could be like??

I have a fairly light jeep. The rear has a steel bumper and 35", no backseat and the currie 4" coils are currently 5.5". Front has a winch with steel cable and steel fenders and is 4.5" but I expect them to settle as they have only been in two weeks

I've never weighed it but there's a scale near my job.
There’s a thread or two on here with posted weights that you can compare to, yours does look similar to @Alex01. Mine is 4510 like this. I just recently switched Springs to 4.5” MC’s that gave me 5” net lift

B5B2245E-2992-4997-B112-EDB419312EE3.jpeg

Doesn't the 3.25" kit come with a coil spacer along with the springs? Is that the coil spacer in your pics, or the stock isolator? Either way, you should have the spacer and isolator in there.

Doesn't the 3.25" kit come with a coil spacer along with the springs? Is that the coil spacer in your pics, or the stock isolator? Either way, you should have the spacer and isolator in there.
It probably did but the shop that did the lift for me gave me the bare minimum parts. No control arms and I was charged separately for the TC drop down kit.

With the weight of the jeep known you can pick a correct spring. Without the weight known then shove a spacer in is the only way you can expect to get the lift height you want. Weigh it. Front and back.