If not Idaho how about Douglas WY?

Still waiting to hear from HR. But, I got my stimulus money today and I've already spent it. lol

If I get the formal offer, I'm taking the Jeep to a local shop to have it inspected. That way I won't end up on the side of the road in Missouri or something with a broken Jeep.

I'm hoping it'll only be a few hundred and I can bank the rest.

I'll give you three guesses - guess who just got a phone call notification that they're sending a tentative selection notice to fill out and return for a FS job in Wyoming?

Pick up a fly rod before you move. Plenty of blue ribbon waters all over! The North Platte is home to some monstrous trout (20+")

Reactions: CybrSlydr
Right now the plan is to leave Ohio on the 2nd of June and arrive in Douglas on the 4th. Then I'll move into my apartment and start work on Monday the 8th.

Originally I was going to have to quarantine for 2 weeks due to COVID, but that's been rescinded.

My brother might be making the drive with me and then flying back to Columbus from Casper.

Will you be working in the field much? Bring what you need for warmth and blocking the wind.

I am about 3.5 hours from there. LMK if you are interested in meeting up for some wheeling in northern CO or southern WY. Vedauwoo is one of our favorite places.

• Love
Bring what you need for warmth and blocking the wind.

X2. Carhartt makes great field gear. The canvas material can really block the wind and withstands wear and tear well. I have a jacket from the early 00s that I still wear in the winter. Its faded, stained, and dirty as hell, but still warm and durable.

X2. Carhartt makes great field gear. The canvas material can really block the wind and withstands wear and tear well. I have a jacket from the early 00s that I still wear in the winter. Its faded, stained, and dirty as hell, but still warm and durable.
Something like a pair of unlined and lined overalls, one of their chore jackets?

Something like a pair of unlined and lined overalls, one of their chore jackets?
I have a pair of lined overalls. I hear the black lined ones are warmer than the red lined ones, but I dont know if there is truth to that. The two jackets I have are the arctic quilt lined ones. I also have various sweaters and long sleeved shirts. The jackets and overalls are good for the wind and cold. Otherwise, on a mild day a pair of base layers is important (think long johns).

I have a pair of lined overalls. I hear the black lined ones are warmer than the red lined ones, but I dont know if there is truth to that. The two jackets I have are the arctic quilt lined ones. I also have various sweaters and long sleeved shirts. The jackets and overalls are good for the wind and cold. Otherwise, on a mild day a pair of base layers is important (think long johns).
How bulky/hard to move in are these things? (I've never worn Carhart or bibs) I'm hoping mobility isn't an issue.

I've also e-mailed my supervisor if he has suggestions on work clothes for being out in the elements (and how much I'll be outside anyway).

How bulky/hard to move in are these things? (I've never worn Carhart or bibs) I'm hoping mobility isn't an issue.

I've also e-mailed my supervisor if he has suggestions on work clothes for being out in the elements (and how much I'll be outside anyway).
They're definitely stiff when new. Once they break in though I think they are very supple and easy to move in.

They're definitely stiff when new. Once they break in though I think they are very supple and easy to move in.

What about snake boots?

MAJOR DUTIES

Provides technical support in inspecting mining operations, may include locatable and mineral material operations.

Assists supervisor in ensuring that operators comply with approved plans of operations stipulations and mitigation measures.

Assist higher graded technicians in the performance of technical field support. Such as, work related mineral operations, physical safety mitigation of abandoned mines, removal of trespass structures, and inspections of gravel pit operations. Provides technical assistance with inspections of abandoned mines; aids in identifying potential risk to public safety; assists in the mitigation of any physical hazards. Provides technical assistance to project lead and/or supervisor to ensure mining operations are carried out in accordance with approved operating plans and reports, documents, and files findings of inspections.

Provides technical support with inspections of gravel pits and aids in the compliance with permit stipulations, abandoned property, refuse, and public health and safety. Inspects both active and abandoned gravel pits. Follows detailed instruction for demolition/disposal of unauthorized structures and abandoned property. Assists with the installation and maintenance of regulatory signs, as well as other signs associated with mineral material sites, travel management and safety.

Provides information about recreational gold panning opportunities to Forest visitors and explains the Forest Service rules and regulations when necessary.

Incumbent may access operations using all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), watercraft, and/or aircraft.

Sounds like I might run into some doing this job.

What about snake boots?

Personally, I've never used any. Your H&S dept. may encourage or even require a pair though. My work boots have always been slip on, comp toed safety boots. Rattlesnakes will give you a heads up if you're pissing them off.

Snakes can be easier to spot, especially if they see you first, unless you're kicking around the brush and rocks and accidentally surprise one. There'll be scorpions hiding under there too.

For outside clothes, just make sure you always have extra layers. It can get downright chilly at night, even in summer, and especially when the wind is up. Not sure if yours is one of those "if you can't truck it, fuck it" type jobs, but I always had at least a light windstopper jacket in a backpack wherever I was going. Just remember that in the mountains cotton kills.

One of my biggest regrets was not taking a Forest Service job that was available to me in Idaho when I got out of the Air Force back in '91. So, cool to hear that you have your foot in the door.

As, for Wyoming, I lived in Lander for awhile and absolutely love the place. I don't know much about Douglas, unfortunately. You would be about 3-4 hours from the amazing Wind River mountains, though. Much closer than I am now in East TN. Some of the most beautiful country out there.

Good luck with your move and hope the position works out for you.

Booked my hotels for my trip out. Will be submitting my 2 weeks notice tomorrow.

Can't believe it's almost time!

ConsciousImportantBullfrog-small.gif

Reactions: Squatch and tworley
Just submitted my two weeks notice. Man, first time I've done it.

Like my brother says, "Shit's getting real, eh?" lol

Reactions: Squatch