If we remastered the TJ and LJ? 🤔

Well, hindsight is 20/20.

These lists above are good ...and I don't know all the consequences of some changes , but I do know one thing - 75-100 more stock horse power would be fantastic.

To this day , FCA is off the mark on displacement/output , for a vehicle owners often lift and add huge tires to.

Honestly , I wish the TJ body style was still around... everything aside, the TJ/LJ is the best looking Jeep in decades .

Last edited:
I would ask the engineers to use metric or SAE bolts throughout the vehicle. Not both.

Still can't understand using a mix of SAE & metric on the same vehicle. I'm sure it has to do with the recommendations of bean counters but just makes it a pita for mechanics and the tools required.

If the list of changes it too long you'll just end up with the latest model. If they offered the 04-06 LJ type stretch in a 2018 2 door Rubicon model I think they'd sell. Something shorter and a little narrower than the current Unlimiteds. Starting price would be probably be somewhere around $50,000.

Personally, I want simple to work on and durable over all the bells and whistles in the new versions. And I chose the TJ because it's smaller. When I park the LJ next to the newer 4 door Jeeps they are significantly wider and longer.

This - man I feel like I'm the only person these days who doesn't want a bigger/longer/wider car or Jeep. I'd take a pared down Jeep any day over full infotainment systems and other fancy features. Can't agree more with the 2-door sentiment.

So it seems about half want an updated version with modern electronics and a bigger machine and about half want a more retro version with a more basic drivetrain and keeping size narrow and shorter. I wonder how the age difference plays out in all this.
Do the old duffs want the older tec with simple window cranks and the youngbloods want the bluetooth headrests and laser beam fog lights? Or the other way around?
My father still complains about everything going to crap when pneumatic tires replaced horseshoes!

E-brake on the driver's side, so I'm not always grabbing the water bottle...

I would ask the engineers to use metric or SAE bolts throughout the vehicle. Not both.

It's not just Jeep. GM and Ford did the same thing in that era, which basically makes it an American thing. I assume it's the nature of the supply chain, with global parts suppliers' availability and pricing being more important than consistency.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Is 1998 old? The JK wasnt the first to get the Dana 44 with big gears, big pinion, and big bearing ends. The JK just sort of “reused“ something that was already old. 🤓

I'm just referring to how none of the parts on the JK and up Dana 44s are interchangeable vs to pretty much all other Dana 44s going way back to at least the 70s.
I'm not an expert by all means, I just know that you can't source parts from older 44s like you can with the 44s found under the TJ.

Feel free to school me if you'd like. 🤪

Last edited:
Reactions: Fouledplugs
I'm just refiring to how none of the parts on the JK and up Dana 44s are interchangeable vs to pretty much all other Dana 44s going way back to at least the 70s.
I'm not an expert by all means, I just know that you can't source parts from older 44s like you can with the 44s found under the TJ.
I like where the Dana engineers were going with the use of the unit bearings. I do miss the simple spindle and lock out hub though that the older Dana 44 uses. The ease of swapping outer knuckles and better lockouts was a great bonus.

So it seems about half want an updated version with modern electronics and a bigger machine and about half want a more retro version with a more basic drivetrain and keeping size narrow and shorter. I wonder how the age difference plays out in all this.
Do the old duffs want the older tec with simple window cranks and the youngbloods want the bluetooth headrests and laser beam fog lights? Or the other way around?
My father still complains about everything going to crap when pneumatic tires replaced horseshoes!

I use technology to my advantage. I write programs and train data analytics software models to find problems in our plants before they occur. I always tell my kids that the people who developed the core hardware and software they are using are likely older than I am and that knowing how to snapchat is not knowing technology.

I've consolidated my technology down to my phone, so I only have to set it up once and it travels with me. My last car took reading the owner's manual to reset the clock when daylight saving came and watching YouTube videos to reset the oil change warning that wouldn't shut off and plastered itself over useful information. I work with technology enough to know it's a pain in the ass at times. So I find what works and carry it with me rather than buy more and more layers to learn and troubleshoot.

Read these forums enough and you realize half the problems with our Jeeps have something to do with sensors, electronics, and the PCM. And those systems are basic in their complexity and ancient by modern standards. I see no reason to add more and more so that 3/4 or more of the problems can be electronic instead.

My Toyota and Honda systems are way more complex and still rapidly went out of date. Since the maps and software on the GPS/infotainment system cost $200-300 a piece to update that wasn't going to get updated often and my family stopped using them and use their phones for GPS and entertainment. The Honda's entertainment user's manual is an inch thick.

The only thing I would add technology wise is a port for the phone to plug in or wireless connecting to the stereo. But they change the ports every decade and probably the wireless connection eventually. So there is little reason for the company to add it, if I'm going to tear it out and replace it anyway. A hard dash mount for a typical phone holder with a USB port for charging right below it would be nice.

If they gave me a free tablet instead of built in electronics, I'd be happier.

Last edited:
😂😂.. your already up to 80k in upgrades.. mite as well add the last two👍🏻😂😂
I really don't think it would land at an $80k MSPRP. Its got a few JK features, mainly the axles. It deletes the power windows.....Ok that will take too long, if it was 50K and came a I listed it, I would have NO issue paying that.

Reactions: Hog
Personally some more horespower would be nice but I don't necessarily want a different engine. Call it nostalgia. A better flowing aluminum head would be great, maybe even stroked/ bored a little bigger to get it closer to 5.0 liters.

I like the simplicity of the interior as it is but a better front seat would be desirable. Better interior sound and heat insulation would be nice, I'm working on that now but I don't know how much of a difference my effort is really going to make. If it's cooler in the summer I'll be happy. The AC had a hard time keeping up in the central CA heat on a trip to the beach this summer.

Stronger diffs would be nice but the dana 44 was an option mine just didn't come with one.

Getting rid of the shovel from the factory would be a great upgrade.

If we are just asking for modern tech in our older jeeps the headlights left a lot to be desired and are an easy fix with modern LED technology.

In all honesty though there isn't a lot about the Jeep that I don't like that can't be overcome in one way or another. The only thing I can't really fix is interior cargo space for camping but I can always bring a trailer if I needed to.

• Love
Reactions: bedhed