If we remastered the TJ and LJ? 🤔

They did...it’s called a JL. I think they look really good.
View attachment 146995View attachment 146996
8DF1246F-55A2-4E7F-86BC-D7CFBBDD413C.gif

you know what I meant. The JL is not a TJ or LJ

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Just seeing it brought back as it is would be pretty cool. But, I feel like it would be in need of some tweaks, and more attention to details, if it was going to have a higher price tag anyway.

I do like some of their aesthetics, but not all. The picture of the Rubicon reminded me of another thing for this hypothetical list. I've yet to walk around one of these, so I did't know until now that they did address the bender-to-body issue that the TJ has. That is, the problem of sand getting lodged in-between the flare and body. Am I seeing that right, is that a wider gap that I'm seeing for the rear fender?
I agree on both accounts. It would never happen obviously but the 2006 TJ and Lj bodies on an updated chassis, drive train and engine and modern interior etc. would be a dream come true. For the sake of @Fouledplugs argument let’s also add to our imaginary world of the recreated TJ/LJ, that it looked the same on the outside but addressed all safety/environmental/economical issues. I think the JLs are ok but they don’t do it for me like TJ/LJs do. I can’t explain the psychology behind it but the TJ/LJ was always my favorite

A TJ, as is from 2006, would likely not pass any of the federal mandated test. Like emissions as well as front and rear collision test.

But the JL as a two door, IMO, looks really good. And it is, theoretically, the updated version of the TJ. Actually, it’s better.
I agree. I do like the looks of the Rubicon, minus a few nitpicking personal dislikes. If it was a little more on the minimalist side, I'd like it more. But, I suppose the new standards would prevent most of that from happening.

Interesting that you mention price. If everything stayed the same on a 2004 Jeep Rubicon and it was re-released today, it would have a asking price of $40k if inflation was calculated in.

People gawk at that kind of asking price, claiming the new Wrangler which is priced around $40-50k is overpriced.

To be fair the asking price for a 04 Rubi was $28k new off the lot. Today’s money, that would be $39k.
https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=28000&year1=200401&year2=202002

Very true. 30k at that time was pretty steep. What I meant was todays price, hell, even at the '04-'06 price, that's far too much for this hypothetical remaster to still have some of the oddities that the TJ has.

I agree on both accounts. It would never happen obviously but the 2006 TJ and Lj bodies on an updated chassis, drive train and engine and modern interior etc. would be a dream come true. For the sake of @Fouledplugs argument let’s also add to our imaginary world of the recreated TJ/LJ, that it looked the same on the outside but addressed all safety/environmental/economical issues. I think the JLs are ok but they don’t do it for me like TJ/LJs do. I can’t explain the psychology behind it but the TJ/LJ was always my favorite

They don't really do it for me either, but I believe Fouledplugs is right. Considering the "necessary" changes to aesthetics with Wrangler, the JL is probably the one.

I'm still not a fan though.😏

Reactions: Fouledplugs
It's those mandatory "upgrades" that made me want the TJ in the first place. Air pressure monitors, electronic traction nannies. Lane departure buzzers. Nope. I wanted a Jeep. Not a 'don't spill your latte on the leather ' going to yoga type of vehicle.
The newer ones, to me, look way to round and fat for my taste.

It's those mandatory "upgrades" that made me want the TJ in the first place. Air pressure monitors, electronic traction nannies. Lane departure buzzers. Nope. I wanted a Jeep. Not a 'don't spill your latte on the leather ' going to yoga type of vehicle.
Nothing wrong with keeping the latte in the cup on the way to yoga 😂😂😂😂

Imagine being around when cruise control first became a thing, or when fuel injection first became the norm on all new cars.....

Not to even mention heated seats, auto dimming rear view mirrors, or power door locks and windows.

To those who were before us, we are same yoga class mouth breathers driving our fancy TJ’s/LJ’s.

Imagine being around when cruise control first became a thing, or when fuel injection first became the norm on all new cars.....

Not to even mention heated seats, auto dimming rear view mirrors, or power door locks and windows.

To those who were before us, we are same yoga class mouth breathers driving our fancy TJ’s/LJ’s.
So true! You saying that made me think of something my friend's 6 year old did. I had my door open while I was fooling around with the speaker grill. He walks over and looks at what I'm doing, then slowly scans his eyes over to the window crank. You would have thought he'd been given a toy. He proceeded to moving it a little, then after realizing what it was, he went on to cranking!

I asked him if he'd ever seen one of those before.

Nope.😆

My 05 LJ has cruise control. My Jeep has the "premier package" cruise control, painted flares, chrome grill and compass and temp on rear view mirror

Body wise I think the TJ is beautiful and the LJ also but I’d pull the rear end back a couple inches on the LJ. I would like to stretch mine a bit but I think that kind of stuff should be customized.
I hate the TJ/LJ dash, that my real only complaint there. I like a simple dash, like YJ or CJ personally.
Running gear wise I don’t want to get crazy and say they should have had 60’s or anything like that, but I would’ve liked something more like a Dynatrac 44, and possibly a V8 option.

Body wise I think the TJ is beautiful and the LJ also but I’d pull the rear end back a couple inches on the LJ. I would like to stretch mine a bit but I think that kind of stuff should be customized.
I hate the TJ/LJ dash, that my real only complaint there. I like a simple dash, like YJ or CJ personally.
Running gear wise I don’t want to get crazy and say they should have had 60’s or anything like that, but I would’ve liked something more like a Dynatrac 44, and possibly a V8 option.

I agree about the dash. It looks like it was designed with cost in mind and little else. I disliked the JK interiors, especially the earlier design but I like the overall look of the new JL dash. Seems much closer to the old CJ style.

Wow. I usually read/gear the exact opposite. Most folks hate the YJ dash...for some reason. I find it odd, because I like the YJ dash a lot, unlike most people. Simple and to the point.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep

What do you mean 'imagine'? I remember when the passenger side view mirror was an option. Just an AM radio (or none) was normal. Power steering was optional on most vehicles. Not available on others. Smaller cars didn't have an auto trans option. And if you wanted big tires and rims you got 31" on 15" rims. Many had 14" rims Some econoboxes had 12" rims. And a 1/2 ton pickup meant you could carry a half ton in the bed.

I like the body of the TJ, minus a few quirks. The body lines looking out of whack when full doors are installed is one.
The worst of these two quirks is this. None of the body lines match.
PicsArt_03-20-01.56.43.png

Wow. I usually read/gear the exact opposite. Most folks hate the YJ dash...for some reason. I find it odd, because I like the YJ dash a lot, unlike most people. Simple and to the point.
I agree. I'm happy with the TJ dash, but I do like the simpler YJ dash.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
I like the body of the TJ, minus a few quirks. The body lines looking out of whack when full doors are installed is one.
The worst of these two quirks is this. None of the body lines match.
View attachment 147375

I agree. I'm happy with the TJ dash, but I do like the simpler YJ dash.
Anyone out there good with photoshop?

What would it look like with that body line extended all way through to the back(?) of the tub?

Or with the body line in the cowl completly removed but with the factory fenders.

I am curious what it would look like either way.

@Chris Madison filled it when he built an AEV high line. A member here now owns it. Apologies for a lack of credit, as I don’t recall the member’s username who now owns it.
F0D41D67-D180-4944-8E60-9B0F91CAFC46.jpeg
4C688967-8A03-4021-9451-D2A2156D65F5.jpeg
C3BE5027-1A86-4B6D-B9F1-800FA0CD3B5F.jpeg
1449171C-63CE-4165-9ABB-93DBF843B50D.jpeg
6D98BB10-436F-4EBC-BDBA-15A072ABAE0A.jpeg
DE6FD43B-38FC-4395-BDB5-63D04E9A3D5A.jpeg
64EB6539-DB97-4063-A526-3B89B2F12C53.jpeg
65F39711-DDE3-4B58-B781-C044ECAF30BA.jpeg
7A7B33C0-C622-4952-B78C-6A09FFFA9FE8.jpeg

What would it look like with that body line extended all way through to the back(?) of the tub?

Or with the body line in the cowl completly removed but with the factory fenders.

@Chris Madison filled it when he built an AEV high line. A member here now owns it. Apologies for a lack of credit, as I don’t recall the member’s username who now owns it.
View attachment 147452View attachment 147449View attachment 147450View attachment 147448View attachment 147451View attachment 147453View attachment 147454View attachment 147455View attachment 147456
I love that one so much.

Reactions: bedhed
@oldjeepman

View attachment 147452View attachment 147449View attachment 147450View attachment 147448View attachment 147451View attachment 147453View attachment 147454View attachment 147455View attachment 147456
@oldjeepman

Reactions: bedhed and Starrs