If we remastered the TJ and LJ? 🤔

Curious as to why you would go to the open channel frame as opposed to the box frame...

I am guessing the ability to clean with some real transparency?

But is that worth the sacrifice in strength?

Yes the ability to easily clean it and not allow near the build-up of dirt, rust, etc. GM has used C-channel for years and it works great. Also the c-channel is a great place to run wires/cables/etc. There wouldn't be any strength issues if properly designed.

If the list of changes it too long you'll just end up with the latest model. If they offered the 04-06 LJ type stretch in a 2018 2 door Rubicon model I think they'd sell. Something shorter and a little narrower than the current Unlimiteds. Starting price would be probably be somewhere around $50,000.

Personally, I want simple to work on and durable over all the bells and whistles in the new versions. And I chose the TJ because it's smaller. When I park the LJ next to the newer 4 door Jeeps they are significantly wider and longer.

I'm easy, just give me a tailgate that folds down like the CJ's did.
While it does look good, operationally, it's literally a step backwards time. When folded down you have to step backwards and reach over it/past it to gain access to inside the tub. Once dropped it takes up space requiring you to step back further away from you are trying to gain access to. To some, it's not a big deal.

If the list of changes it too long you'll just end up with the latest model. If they offered the 04-06 LJ type stretch in a 2018 2 door Rubicon model I think they'd sell. Something shorter and a little narrower than the current Unlimiteds. Starting price would be probably be somewhere around $50,000.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/found-the-jk-fix-it-actually-looks-awesome.7295/
E3073387-BC6E-4CDF-87EE-B3FA8C7D8733.jpeg
FC6CB2E9-11F6-42F9-B8D3-40A7EA2E8B09.jpeg

Reactions: InOmaha
While it does look good, operationally, it's literally a step backwards time. When folded down you have to step backwards and reach over it/past it to gain access to inside the tub. Once dropped it takes up space requiring you to step back further away from you are trying to gain access to. To some, it's not a big deal.
I always found it useful on my CJ's, especially when out shooting. It was great to lay boxes of ammo, magazines, etc out on.

While I know what you mean, couldn't the new generation Dana 44's found under the JK and JL be hybrid Dana 44's?
They have a different ring gear and pinion gear size. Bigger tubes, more WMS than other Dana 44 ever built. (exception; Isuzu in the late 90's)

My main issue is the shared Cs between the Dana 30 and 44. I wheel with early Broncos routinely that run V8s, heavy 37" tires and a Dana 44 front. The ring gear size is the same, 8.5", but some have upgraded knuckles and axle shafts. In all the years I've wheeled with them, I've only ever seen broken u joints. If I ran 37" tires, wheeling like we do, I would have more than that broken!

25 gallon fuel tank
3-4 coats of high solids clear over the base color
6 speed in the '02's

Last edited by a moderator:
00 + cubic inch cast iron inline 6.
Turbo.
Gear drive transfer case.
Updated Dana 44's.
x4 disc brakes.
I agree, NO cast aluminium.
Gear drive for sure.
I loved every one of my F250 4x4s with a straight six, cast iron block, head, tranny, transfer case and C-Channel frames. Technology is not an advantage off road.

Reactions: derekmac