If you could have any secondary vehicle what would you pick?

Alright @Chris your quoting me lol and that’s fine. My jeep is very capable in the snow in southern IN where I live. It’s a light vehicle I get that, but I also don’t live in Vermont or Colorado.

Quoting you? What do you mean?

I was actually talking about most of the JK people I know who seem to think that their Wranglers are like the ultimate snow vehicle. Don’t get me wrong, it’s bettet than a Honda Civic, but the Wranglers area of expertise is by no means the snow. That’s all I’m saying. I was referring to anything you said.

Reactions: billiebob
I would have exactly the one I have, a Crosstrek - 33mpg, affordable, reliable, huge inside so great utility-wise, unstoppable under the worst imaginable winter road conditions, safe, comfortable, & fun as hell to drive on twisty roads. It is truly the perfect mileage sponge & allows my TJ to remain hidden & dry in the garage thus nearly ageless (rot-wise).

I burn about a 1/2 tank of gas per week, depending on price that's still less than twenty bucks. There's often someone at the next pump pumping $70 into his/her (name that pickup or SUV...) & I can't help but laugh thinking most of the time they're just driving back & forth to the office like me :rolleyes:

View attachment 46625

If Subaru disappeared tomorrow I suppose I'd grab another Accord or Civic, not nearly as fun or utilitarian as the Subie but they certainly hit all the other marks better than any other vehicle I've ever owned.
The Crosstrek is on my short list to get my son, you like it that much? He goes to school in NH so they see some snow.

My dad helped me get the Jeep I have back when I was in college because I was moving from Texas to Colorado and he wanted me to have something 4wd to handle the snow well.

As others have said...Jeeps aren't actually all that great for snow. Sure, it's better than a 2wd sedan, but the really tall profile and large tires really aren't great for anything outside of really deep snow. Fortunately, I never really had to drive my Jeep much since I went to college in Boulder, CO, which has a great bus system and a free pass for college students (one of the reasons I have such low mileage on my Jeep).

Since I've moved to Minnesota, I've become pretty jealous of all the Subarus that people drive around since they navigate the winter weather so much better than my TJ. Out of all the cars I see driving around here, the Subaru Outbacks, Foresters, and Crosstreks are definitely the best suited for the winter.

Now, when my dad and I lived in Texas, we almost never saw a Subaru and it never snowed there, so we were none the wiser. However, if I were a parent, knowing what I do now, and wanted my kid to have a safe car for the winter, it'd be an easy choice.

I've owned two Subarus, and regularly drove another. I can attest to their ability in the snow. Very sure-footed rigs. I put my daughter in one as her first car. I'm just not a fan of the boxer motor, but that's a different issue, altogether.

I’m a typical American man that likes women. I like guns, beer, and loud trucks with horrible gas mileage.

I want an old Chevy Scottsdale or an old Ford Bronco.

Vehicles with good gas mileage will never be owned by me. :)

Reactions: Fonz54 and Daryl
The Crosstrek is on my short list to get my son, you like it that much? He goes to school in NH so they see some snow.

Yes, yes I do. It's my 3d one but first in a loooong time, had a 1980 & a 1984, then took a long detour through some Hondas, VWs, a Durango, a Volvo & a Benz not in that order. Drove an Accord 10 years leading up to 2014 when I finally returned to test drive the Crosstrek which was the first one they made in many years I had an interest in. Thing has blown me away in every respect, seriously cannot say enough good things about it. Like @Chris said above, the thing is a snow machine, by far the most sure footed vehicle I've even driven. I wouldn't drive my TJ in the snow on a bet as long as I own a Subaru, but most of that is based on my prohibition of it leaving the garage on any day when there's snow, ice, slush, salt or even rain on the roads, my plan is to preserve it as-is indefinitely & that's the best way I know... the rest is based on my belief that my Subie would drive circles around my TJ on slippery roads, off road however TJ for the resounding WIN notwithstanding @superduty 's bizarre comment above :D

Reactions: Chris
IMG_20180709_174742003_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180709_175040490.jpg

This is my wife's primary, I drive it every now and then.

Reactions: Artemis and Fonz54
So...I have a couple other "wish List" cars. One...64 Bronco. The one that Gas Monkey built is just about perfect.

3ef22a06e0e8bb79b53e6dceecaab80c--fast-n-loud-gas-monkey-garage.jpg

Next up, a 69-72 corvette Convertible, in Monza Red. Gotta change to the early style "gills" vs the egg Crate vents though.

1971-chevrolet-corvette-convertible-54675-1.jpg

Finally, I've always wanted a nice CJ for beach cruising. Something a little retro, like a renegade with a few period correct chrome bits on it. Gotta be a V8 though and the sport style roll bar. Not this exactly, but similar.

1986-jeep-cj7_0262.jpg

That is my wishlist...and Of the three, I realistically see me having the CJ and the Corvette. Broncos....they are TOUGH to find and when you do, they are either $$$$ or completely rotten.

So...I have a couple other "wish List" cars. One...64 Bronco. The one that Gas Monkey built is just about perfect.

View attachment 46942

Next up, a 69-72 corvette Convertible, in Monza Red. Gotta change to the early style "gills" vs the egg Crate vents though.

View attachment 46943

Finally, I've always wanted a nice CJ for beach cruising. Something a little retro, like a renegade with a few period correct chrome bits on it. Gotta be a V8 though and the sport style roll bar. Not this exactly, but similar.

View attachment 46944

That is my wishlist...and Of the three, I realistically see me having the CJ and the Corvette. Broncos....they are TOUGH to find and when you do, they are either $$$$ or completely rotten.
Awesome list!

I'm torn between about 10 vehicles.....but these would be right up there.
1950 Buick Roadmaster (resto mod) Keeping the patina.
roadmaster.jpg

and off course 1971 Buick Boat Tail Riviera (although I'm a small bloke so I may look like I'm 14 and stole the keys to my dad car haha)
1971Buick.jpg

Reactions: Squatch
I always laugh when people tell me their Jeep Wrangler is good in the snow. I have both a Jeep Wrangler and a 2015 Subaru Outback, and let me tell you... your Jeep SUCKS in the snow compared to my Subaru.

That Outback is so phenomenal in the snow that it blows my mind. It's almost impossible to lose control of with all the on-board wizardry. If you own a Crosstrek though, you already know this!

In 2012... I drove from eastern WI to oregon. 2 days of the drive were in a blizzard.. no exaggeration.

Not to mention it was negative 20 all the way to idaho.

Did it in a 2000 grand cherokee limited.

Completely amazed with the Quadratrac II system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Reactions: Squatch and Kiwi TJ
I'm torn between about 10 vehicles.....but these would be right up there.
1950 Buick Roadmaster (resto mod) Keeping the patina.
View attachment 46951
and off course 1971 Buick Boat Tail Riviera (although I'm a small bloke so I may look like I'm 14 and stole the keys to my dad car haha)
View attachment 46952
Are you my brother? :D

While it's hard not to love a 60's and older car, few 70's vehicles do it for me like a boat tail Riv! Especially the earlier, small bumper versions. Those things are pure sex, I tell ya!