Improve My Perspective on Automatic Transmissions

Ok my apologies, as I have only ever wheeled an auto. What is the reason for this?
Very good question. If one takes off using the starter, there is no modulation of the take off speed. There is no control. Whereas if the clutch is used, the speed can be as fast or slow as is needed. The take off is controlled.

Reactions: J R
You should be using your starter, not the clutch.
This is a good trick to know, but I wouldn’t use it often. I used it more back in the carburetor days when I would flood the jeep at a extreme angle. Was a good way to get to some level ground to get it running again. Use it more as a last ditch effort.

• Face Palm
Reactions: jjvw
Or to leave the gas station or take off from red lights after the clutch failed 100 miles from home.
That happened to a buddy I was with in his Corvair Spyder late one night in 1965. We were in Hollywood cruising for girls, about 50 miles from home, when his clutch cable broke. That's how we made it home at 2am. It was a long drive not being able to use the clutch.

Reactions: jjvw
That happened to a buddy I was with in his Corvair Spyder late one night. We were in Hollywood cruising for girls, about 50 miles from home, when his clutch cable broke. That's how we made it home at 2am. It was a long drive not being able to use the clutch.

Were the girls impressed by his prowess in floating gears and clever use of the starter?

Hi all,

I’ve always rolled my eyes at auto-trans TJs, thinking they were built to appeal to those who couldn’t or wouldn’t learn to drive stick.

I learned recently that two Jeepers with MUCH more off-road experience than I have both drive automatic transmissions. So I figure I have something to learn.

What’s the main appeal? Are there benefits when off-road?
Drive one.

I've got both the manual and an automatic..... Both are fine but to automatic is easier to deal with off-road and you can focus on the obstacle.. not keeping the engine alive... At the same time a manual TJ is amazingly capable and a manual Rubicon TJ with a thumb throttle is another level above that

@Chris did jodofrodowhatever since then but he pretty much asked for it.
I rarely ever ban anyone. In fact, I think I can count on two hands how many people I’ve banned on this forum in the past 5 years and none of them were banned because they disagreed with me.

If someone has an opinion other than mine they should share it. I’ve owned both auto and manual TJs. As far as off-roading goes I’ll never own a manual again. That’s just my opinion.

Well, thanks everyone. Now I want an auto. :)
With your SE that auto better come with a different engine in front of it. What little power those four squirrels put out is completely ate up by the torque converter.

I grew up with manuals and prefer to drive manuals but if I end up in a part of the country where the average trail speed is measured in feet per hour I will be running a slushbox.

Reactions: Chris