Improve My Perspective on Automatic Transmissions

With your SE that auto better come with a different engine in front of it. What little power those four squirrels put out is completely ate up by the torque converter.

I grew up with manuals and prefer to drive manuals but if I end up in a part of the country where the average trail speed is measured in feet per hour I will be running a slushbox.

Interesting, thanks. Can you say more? Just curious, since I clearly know nothing about how autos really work.

Reactions: Wildman
Or to leave the gas station or take off from red lights after the clutch failed 100 miles from home.
That happened to a buddy I was with in his Corvair Spyder late one night in 1965. We were in Hollywood cruising for girls, about 50 miles from home, when his clutch cable broke. That's how we made it home at 2am. It was a long drive not being able to use the clutch.

I used the starter, not the clutch for almost a month on a daily driver while I saved up some cash to buy a new clutch fork. For some reason shifting an aircooled VW Bug from gear to gear with no clutch action was almost as easy as shifting a motorcycle. About 15 years later my S10 fought every shift on the 10 mile ride home.

I used the starter, not the clutch for almost a month on a daily driver while I saved up some cash to buy a new clutch fork. For some reason shifting an aircooled VW Bug from gear to gear with no clutch action was almost as easy as shifting a motorcycle. About 15 years later my S10 fought every shift on the 10 mile ride home.
I've noticed some transmissions are easier than others. I don't float my NV3550 often, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. Though I couldn't quite figure out where to find 5th on my long clutch less drive home.

Years ago, I drove a big Freightliner box truck almost 400 miles from Amarillo, TX just past Colorado Springs with a failing clutch. I floated as much as I could, but the disc burned up in rush hour traffic. After the new clutch, I was really good as floating that truck.

Reactions: Thunderhead
Interesting, thanks. Can you say more? Just curious, since I clearly know nothing about how autos really work.

Here is a brief explanation of the torque converter. https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/information/torque-converter.htm

The transmission is a series of planetary gears and clutches that apply power to the different planetaries to achieve the different gear ratios (speeds) and reverse. Those actions are controlled by a valve body with later models adding electronics to aid in proper gear selection to keep the engine in its optimal rpm range for best drivabilty.

Reactions: SSTJ and lBasket
I grew up with manuals and prefer to drive manuals but if I end up in a part of the country where the average trail speed is measured in feet per hour I will be running a slushbox.
Not to put too fine a point on it because you know better but there are almost no manual transmissions in any of the EMC competitor classes.

Reactions: Blackjack
Here is a brief explanation of the torque converter. https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/information/torque-converter.htm

The transmission is a series of planetary gears and clutches that apply power to the different planetaries to achieve the different gear ratios (speeds) and reverse. Those actions are controlled by a valve body with later models adding electronics to aid in proper gear selection to keep the engine in its optimal rpm range for best drivabilty.
Or in the case of the jeep 42rle controller, added electronics to aid in fucking you over at the slightest incline by selecting the absolute worst rpm range for continuing forward motion.

I've noticed some transmissions are easier than others. I don't float my NV3550 often, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. Though I couldn't quite figure out where to find 5th on my long clutch less drive home.

Years ago, I drove a big Freightliner box truck almost 400 miles from Amarillo, TX just past Colorado Springs with a failing clutch. I floated as much as I could, but the disc burned up in rush hour traffic. After the new clutch, I was really good as floating that truck.
I’ve been driving class A & B commercial trucks for 20 years. 35,000 gvwr and 80,000 gvwr, 10 speeds, in SF Chinatown hills, Bay Area.
Cool little trick is to apply your air brake on a hill for a stop light. Engaging the clutch as your release the air and get it rolling.
I only float manuals. I find using the clutch makes you grind gears in the big trucks.
Glad I got a automatic. I’ve shifted enough

Or in the case of the jeep 42rle controller, added electronics to aid in fucking you over at the slightest incline by selecting the absolute worst rpm range for continuing forward motion.
Yeah the 42rle has some things that definitely work against it considering the vehicle it is installed in.

He does, but my understanding is that he can program the TCM as well. Give him a call, this is what I've been hearing.
That would be cool. I emailed him but not getting hopes up.

Reactions: Chris
True and I doubt you will find many manuals at all at KOH anymore.
Big Ugly tried it and was real stubborn about it but kept breaking them. I don't know if that was Kevin, the install, or the trans and that shouldn't be taken as the only reason because lots of autos stop from from winning as well. Pretty sure that the Toyota mini in the stock class that has won has a manual. Outside of them, not sure of any others.