In praise of basically stock TJ's

it's a slippery slope. :)
Right!? If it just had___, that's all it needs. I'd be set. But to do that, it needs ___ to do it right. And if I'm in there already, I might as well add ___ while I'm at it. Easy to get stuck in a do loop. Next thing you know, it's definitely not stock.

Right!? If it just had___, that's all it needs. I'd be set. But to do that, it needs ___ to do it right. And if I'm in there already, I might as well add ___ while I'm at it. Easy to get stuck in a do loop. Next thing you know, it's definitely not stock.

That's pretty much where I'm at right now. There are a lot of things I'd like to do and a lot more things that I would need if I did them.

There are still things I can accomplish as is to make improvements though. Mostly being in the armor dept. but that again brings me to the tummy tuck that leads down that ugly path again. Another small thing I'd like to do is steering gear box skid, but my oddball bumper makes that tricky too. It's a lot like Jenga.

Reactions: StG58
At a certain point your will add enough weight to sag your stock springs. At which point you will need heavier duty springs than stock, I'd guess you'd only be able to find that along with additional height above stock.

No reason you couldn't upgrade axles, lockers, u joints, etc on a stock height rig.

What would add weight? Someday, I may replace the bumpers but not with anything too heavy duty. No plans for a winch in the near future. I've thought about swapping out the Moogs I just installed for those H&R springs but too many other things on the to-do list first. Good to know about the axles and lockers though. I do already have a Dana 44 rear from the factory.

That's pretty much where I'm at right now. There are a lot of things I'd like to do and a lot more things that I would need if I did them.

There are still things I can accomplish as is to make improvements though. Mostly being in the armor dept. but that again brings me to the tummy tuck that leads down that ugly path again. Another small thing I'd like to do is steering gear box skid, but my oddball bumper makes that tricky too. It's a lot like Jenga.
Right now, it's gears for me. I've been resisting that investment for a couple of years now. 'Cause I know that'll be Crossing the Rubicon. Gears will lead to bigger tires, that leads to a body lift, that leads to a tummy tuck, that leads to...

Reactions: Cal and Fouledplugs

Yup.

When I was in the modification zone (primarily the spring of 2017) it reminded me of my younger days when I first bought my house. It seemed like every single thing I did resulted in the necessity to do another & it went on for years. Get furniture for the kid, now you have to paint his room, oops now the trim doesn’t match the hallway so that needed to be re-done & before you know it the painting job spreads through the house like a wildfire. Re-do the family room, just some new dry wall & tile flooring right? Hahaha, gotta re-wire everything/add new outlets & fixtures & while you’re at it build a bar that wasn’t there before & about 100 other things… what, now the kitchen looks like shit???? It did end though, I think the last upgrade I did to my house was 10+ years ago & the thought of cracking back into a new one makes the hair on my neck stand up. I’m even at the point where if something breaks I may or may not fix it, becomes a do I really need/want it anymore, I think I’d rather move into a shipping container than embark on another home improvement.

The TJ has been a mini version of that, in 2017 I probably sunk 10k in it building/outfitting it to withstand the type of off-roading I knew I’d be doing. 2018 saw a fraction of that, mostly it was replacing old worn/broken stuff that was still original equipment like shot control arms & a mangled tie rod…, I’d guess maybe a grand or two, that includes new tires. 2019? Exactly one thing, I finally rid the TJ of the one thing I didn’t like about it by tossing a new front bumper on & even with all the bullshit that came with it I’m under $500. Point being I’m on a distinct downward spiral with modifications & I’m pretty much at the point I’m at with my house, zero desire to take on a new project. The TJ is more than capable of doing everything I want to do with it and some; it’s a great feeling when I’m off road and I know I can do whatever I want, really does make each outing pretty exciting. I’m sure there will be odds & ends going forward but maybe not even that; it’ll also be maintained of course but none of us can every get away from that.

My original point was the lower to the ground you are, the more vulnerable your oil pan and other undercarriage items are to crunching rocks.
If you ever get a chance to take a ride in someone's rig going through any of the JV trails, take it. You will never utter the above statement again.

When is the TJ no longer stock? Is it after the ride height is restored from the added weight of the skids? ;)
When LCIR was open, we wheeled down there numerous times. You could navigate most of it on a stock height rig. One gent in particular brought out his 98 white Sahara. He was stock suspension with Bulletproof bumpers, monster swing out tire carrier, 10 lb Co2 tank on the rear bumper, winch, tons of recovery gear, hi lift, and he drug over everything. He needed a 2" lift to get back to stock clearances.

Reactions: jjvw
If you ever get a chance to take a ride in someone's rig going through any of the JV trails, take it. You will never utter the above statement again.

Ive been to jv. I've seen the trails, ran what i dared in jeep and jumped on bike for most of the exploring.

I stick to my point.. which is an obvious one.

Rocks are always an issue, especially when going up dry waterfalls and canyons, but when your rocking 31's, every trail with a rock garden, rogue boulder, stump, or deep ditch can be a greater issue.. versus rolling on 40's, which makes some rocks/ditches/boulders a non issue.

Therefore stock vehicles/non built/low to ground, should consider skidplates and underarmor as an early mod.
Imo

Last edited:
Reactions: Cal
Ive been to jv. I've seen the trails, ran what i dared in jeep and jumped on bike for most of the exploring.

I stick to my point.. which is an obvious one.

Rocks are always an issue, especially when going up dry waterfalls and canyons, but when your rocking 31's, every trail with a rock garden, rogue boulder, stump, or deep ditch can be a greater issue.. versus rolling on 40's, which makes some rocks/ditches/boulders a non issue.

Therefore stock vehicles/non built/low to ground, should consider skidplates and underarmor as an early mod.
You are starting to show a propensity for hanging your hat on dumb shit.

. . . There's a local Jeep club around here that doesn't really do anything but drive around on flat forest service roads. Many of them don't want to "abuse" their Jeeps. . . .

There are two Cal4Wheel 4WD clubs in my town and one Facebook jeep group. I am a member of both clubs (Black Sheep and the Rat Pack) and participate in runs with NorCal Jeeps from time to time. Each group likes to do different things with varying degrees of difficulty from overlanding to obstacles requiring purpose-built rock buggies. Vive la difference. There is something interesting for me to do offroad almost every weekend, midweek too if I seek out some of the other retired old farts.

Reactions: xxdabroxx
There are two Cal4Wheel 4WD clubs in my town and one Facebook jeep group. I am a member of both clubs (Black Sheep and the Rat Pack) and participate in runs with NorCal Jeeps from time to time. Each group likes to do different things with varying degrees of difficulty from overlanding to obstacles requiring purpose-built rock buggies. Vive la difference. There is something interesting for me to do offroad almost every weekend, midweek too if I seek out some of the other retired old farts.

Love Norcal.
Ever get south to sequioa and kings canyon?

Know of any dispersed primitive camp sites?

I remember reading about camping spots south of yosemite that you had to 4x4 to, cannot remember the name though.

Sequioa and Kings Canyon are in Central California, not NorCal. ;)

Its a common mistake. Hell, half the people who say they live in NorCal aren't far enough north to legitimately claim that.

As far as the real NorCal is concerned I know of many dispersed primitive spots and a "secret" lake or two. But if I told you where they are Hillary would have to suicide you.

• Haha
Reactions: Sancho
Sequioa and Kings Canyon are in Central California, not NorCal. ;)

Its a common mistake. Hell, half the people who say they live in NorCal aren't far enough north to legitimately claim that.

As far as the real NorCal is concerned I know of many dispersed primitive spots and a "secret" lake or two. But if I told you where they are Hillary would have to suicide you.

I was curious if you ever made it that far south. I'm headed up to coyote flats in the near future, but wanted some ideas that were less known.

Also... ill show you mine if you show me yours.. err I mean, ill share some spots down here if you share your spots up there lol. Norcal is gonna be prettier tho - by far.

I'd like to primitive camp near lassen if it isnt too cold.

Yup.

When I was in the modification zone (primarily the spring of 2017) it reminded me of my younger days when I first bought my house. It seemed like every single thing I did resulted in the necessity to do another & it went on for years. Get furniture for the kid, now you have to paint his room, oops now the trim doesn’t match the hallway so that needed to be re-done & before you know it the painting job spreads through the house like a wildfire. Re-do the family room, just some new dry wall & tile flooring right? Hahaha, gotta re-wire everything/add new outlets & fixtures & while you’re at it build a bar that wasn’t there before & about 100 other things… what, now the kitchen looks like shit???? It did end though, I think the last upgrade I did to my house was 10+ years ago & the thought of cracking back into a new one makes the hair on my neck stand up. I’m even at the point where if something breaks I may or may not fix it, becomes a do I really need/want it anymore, I think I’d rather move into a shipping container than embark on another home improvement.

The TJ has been a mini version of that, in 2017 I probably sunk 10k in it building/outfitting it to withstand the type of off-roading I knew I’d be doing. 2018 saw a fraction of that, mostly it was replacing old worn/broken stuff that was still original equipment like shot control arms & a mangled tie rod…, I’d guess maybe a grand or two, that includes new tires. 2019? Exactly one thing, I finally rid the TJ of the one thing I didn’t like about it by tossing a new front bumper on & even with all the bullshit that came with it I’m under $500. Point being I’m on a distinct downward spiral with modifications & I’m pretty much at the point I’m at with my house, zero desire to take on a new project. The TJ is more than capable of doing everything I want to do with it and some; it’s a great feeling when I’m off road and I know I can do whatever I want, really does make each outing pretty exciting. I’m sure there will be odds & ends going forward but maybe not even that; it’ll also be maintained of course but none of us can every get away from that.

I understand the house stuff completely. I bought a fixer upper. Last time I'll take on one like this. I gutted the whole middle section to dirt the first weekend I had it. I lived without a ceiling in my kitchen for over a year. Now the kitchen is close but I can't trim it out until I get flooring. I don't want to do flooring until I get rid of the wood panels in the living room, etc. etc.... LOL

Yeah, skidplates are usually one of the first things we recommend here for wheeling. There was a stock TJ that came out Sunday with us, and a few spots he had a very difficult time getting through because of deep ruts with good sized rocks in the middle. Being a tight woods trail, there were no go-arounds.

Then quit responding. Or is your self esteem on the low end and your in need of attention?
Fuck off. I respond because others may need to know what is important based on what works and why that sometimes matters. Your insistence in this matter particularly after "peeking" around out there is full on fucking stupid. If I was in need of attention, I'd god damn sure know to use you're instead of your. If you're gonna try and slam someone, at least get that fucking part correct.