In praise of basically stock TJ's

Fuck off. I respond because others may need to know what is important based on what works and why that sometimes matters. Your insistence in this matter particularly after "peeking" around out there is full on fucking stupid. If I was in need of attention, I'd god damn sure know to use you're instead of your. If you're gonna try and slam someone, at least get that fucking part correct.

Peeking? Lol.
Grammar nazi? Lol.

Your such a soft, egotistical, attention hungry, stubborn fool.

Just block me.

Reactions: ptw and Cal
Calm down guys. Back to stock vs unstock?? I’m really enjoying my stock Tj very much. Put 75 more road miles on it today and plan on doing that again tomorrow and maybe Friday [last day of my knee therapy]. And Saturday I’ll take her to the outer banks for my cas match and I’ll check out the Outer Banks Jeep Jam after the match [130 miles each way plus however far up the beach the Jam is]. Should be a fun day. Got my half doors but it’ll be next week before I try them out. Needs to get cooler and dryer.’
Oops, Turns out the Jeep Jam is in September. I might go to the beach Friday before to check it out and the go to my cas match.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58 and Sancho
Right!? If it just had___, that's all it needs. I'd be set. But to do that, it needs ___ to do it right. And if I'm in there already, I might as well add ___ while I'm at it. Easy to get stuck in a do loop. Next thing you know, it's definitely not stock.
Perfect description of my life with cars.

Reactions: Fonz54
How offroad capable is a stock TJ Rubicon? I know its been 'Trail Rated' but can I really run thru that trail without a lift and all the other upgrades necessary?

How offroad capable is a stock TJ Rubicon? I know its been 'Trail Rated' but can I really run thru that trail without a lift and all the other upgrades necessary?
I'd say if it doesn't have "all the other upgrades necessary" you probably don't want to do the trail right?

It depends on the trail and the driver. A stock rubicon is more capable than most give it credit for.

Reactions: StG58
A stock NON-Rubicon is more capable than most give it credit for. Wasn't that the point of this thread.
Right, and @Brinta asked about the Rubicon trail. While stock is great I think you do have to realize it has its limitations and the Rubicon trail is probably what most consider outside the boundaries of where you should take a stock Jeep, unless you work for Jeeps marketing department.

Okay boys, I am here in praise of basic stock TJs.
Don't want to talk about it's limitations!
...And what are those limitations?

Stock, mine came with 205/75R15 street tires. Basically useful for delivering the TJ from the factory to the dealership.

The stock springs caused my butt to drag over any and all obstacles past a gravel road. Especially once the rated GVW was approached.

No way to communicate, so loaded log trucks constantly tried chip shots off the side of the mountain.

The stock sway bar and end links tried very hard to keep the front axle as flat as reasonably possible under all conditions. The TJ liked to lift a tire and wave.

The stock skid plate makes an effective anchor in deep enough snow, sand and mud. And rocks of moderate size.

It takes less than one would think to perform ad hoc bodywork on the lower body between the wheel wells.

The stock rear license plate holder was custom designed by the Jeep engineers for easy removal by stout brush in the back, and for quickly destroying the front license plate.

The headlights are custom crafted to give the appearance of illumination, without actually providing sufficient illumination to navigate to the mailbox down a gravel road at dusk.

SE manual drivers get the added bonus of a light duty truck transmission that may or may not be as strong as the transmission in your average economy car, with the added bonus that even in perfect working order it shifts like a 1958 International truck.

A stock TJ has lots of opportunities for improvement. It's still way more capable than most give it credit for. Especially if you accept a little carnage during the learning process.

...And what are those limitations?

Stock, mine came with 205/75R15 street tires. Basically useful for delivering the TJ from the factory to the dealership.

The stock springs caused my butt to drag over any and all obstacles past a gravel road. Especially once the rated GVW was approached.

No way to communicate, so loaded log trucks constantly tried chip shots off the side of the mountain.

The stock sway bar and end links tried very hard to keep the front axle as flat as reasonably possible under all conditions. The TJ liked to lift a tire and wave.

The stock skid plate makes an effective anchor in deep enough snow, sand and mud. And rocks of moderate size.

It takes less than one would think to perform ad hoc bodywork on the lower body between the wheel wells.

The stock rear license plate holder was custom designed by the Jeep engineers for easy removal by stout brush in the back, and for quickly destroying the front license plate.

The headlights are custom crafted to give the appearance of illumination, without actually providing sufficient illumination to navigate to the mailbox down a gravel road at dusk.

SE manual drivers get the added bonus of a light duty truck transmission that may or may not be as strong as the transmission in your average economy car, with the added bonus that even in perfect working order it shifts like a 1958 International truck.

A stock TJ has lots of opportunities for improvement. It's still way more capable than most give it credit for. Especially if you accept a little carnage during the learning process.

Open Diffs... puke

I dont think a stock jeep can truly complete the rubicon trai......😨🔫

Didn't Jeep drag one through and that became part of the Trail Rated moniker? From what I gather, the Rubicon Trail can be as difficult as you want it to be, within some limits.

Reactions: StG58