Interesting OPDA findings

Maybe it would be beneficial for me to see if I can locate a DRBIII. I suspect it could come in handy at times.
Easy to find on Ebay if you have $3,500 for a used one or you can buy a Autel or Zurich for around a $1,000 plus yearly subscription for $500.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I’ve been wanting to get access to one for a bit, but don’t know anyone with one. For my uses I think it’s a one time need, so buying one isn’t likely.

If anyone in the Denver area has one to lend, I’d be very appreciative.

Is it possible to just bump up the OPDA a few degrees the way we used to set timing in the school parking lot? Just a blind advance (or retard) of a few degrees to get them to read within the same time frame? I know this would be far from ideal. But if no relearn tool is available is there a plan 'B'? It could take a few tries to get it right, but would just that small alignment correction cure the timing issue?

I’ve been wanting to get access to one for a bit, but don’t know anyone with one. For my uses I think it’s a one time need, so buying one isn’t likely.

If anyone in the Denver area has one to lend, I’d be very appreciative.
Not to lend because I don't think anyone will do that. Find someone that can use it on yours and set the timing.

Reactions: bedhed and rasband
Is it possible to just bump up the OPDA a few degrees the way we used to set timing in the school parking lot? Just a blind advance (or retard) of a few degrees to get them to read within the same time frame? I know this would be far from ideal. But if no relearn tool is available is there a plan 'B'? It could take a few tries to get it right, but would just that small alignment correction cure the timing issue?
Luck is luck.

The FSM says specifically not to in the top right, but mine was off from before I replaced the OPDA and had to work with it a little.

7929D79B-E558-4305-92F4-2E8DBAAFE465.jpeg

Yes, a search on eBay shows them anywhere from $1500 to $3000.

This one shows a laptop meant to work with the scanner:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=223504454662

Do you need both the scanner and a laptop running software, or does the scanner alone do all that's required?
If you can find an old DRBIII that still works and have access to Chrysler updates go for it, no computer required. Just remember these DRBIII are all at least 10 years old and have seen lots of use.

Reactions: Chris
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
If you can find an old DRBIII that still works and have access to Chrysler updates go for it, no computer required. Just remember these DRBIII are all at least 10 years old and have seen lots of use.

The real unknown is how long Chrysler will even continue to update them for.

I ran the Crown sensor for a bit, then the engine started acting up. The problem went away after installing the original sensor in the new Crown unit.

Thanks. I was curious about build differences... The Dorman was the only one available locally for same day pick up.... I bought it. But after some more digging it sounds like the crown has a better bushing setup so I bit the bullet and parked the jeep for the weekend and ordered the crown... Booooo.... Was hoping someone would know if the builds were the same and if I swapped out the OEM sensor I could use either...

This is great information! It's nice to have this group of folks to help owners keep these on the road. Anyone in know of a shop that has a DRB tool in the Austin area?

Reactions: Chris
Not sure I'm following this correctly.
I recently replaced my OPDA on 2006 Rubicon with the Crown unit. Had a few mis-steps along the way: when trying to remove the CPS from the original OPDA, it snapped. Installed OPDA with Crown CPS, found that the jeep moved and I couldn't align the new OPDA in the same position as original (manual, in gear, ugh). So I attempted to blindly align things. That didn't work too well, as it went into limp mode when I test drove. Went back, found the flywheel mark and TDC mark on the block, and realigned everything (I was like 180 out of sync). Also, I installed a NAPA CPS since the consensus is that the Crown CPS is suspect. Drives fine now! No limp mode. Of course I've only done a quick test drive since its still winter here and the snow's too deep to wheel...
Wondering... do I need to find someone with a DRB tool and do a relearn still too?