Interesting OPDA findings

Fly64sguy - are you saying that a re-learn fixed an aftermarket sensor triggering a code? If so, that's the first confirmation I've seen that it actually does something, and that's note-worthy.

Yeah the brand was Echlin from Napa and I had been troubleshooting with posts from the forum here and the local Jeep shop. I took the section from the FSM to the shop and they confirmed that it needed to be placed into relearn mode. That Jeep shop had a Snap-On code scanner but they were not able to access the right settings or find the right emulator. I eventually started calling around and another shop said they could "download almost any program" and they referenced a site. As I said, I had to pay for their license which was pricey, $300 or so, but I couldn't drive my daily. They had it for about a day and emailed me a screenshot with the relearn function enabled. I haven't had a problem with the CPS since.

Jeepdiag.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: sideproject
Well, it seems that it is back to the drawing board... P0344 and limp mode showed up in early December. Chased wires and found one area of worn insulation (yellow wire near CPS connector), so replaced the connector and cleaned, added solder to the common ground with no luck. Tried a different PCM and now on third aftermarket CPS (2 Echlin and 1 Standard Motor). I'm now wondering if there might be enough "slop" in the timing chain as the engine is at 130K miles. The thing is that the Jeep runs great until the light comes on. It comes on and stays on.

I planned to rebuild or put in a stroker but I don't know about putting more effort into any of that until I am able to get it to be reliable again. Thanks, again, to all the folks in this forum. I'm open to ideas and will let the group know if I find anything.

Reactions: Steel City 06
For anyone revisiting this thread, I found that this scanner will do the relearn:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0744B55QV/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Also has a few other features and no limitation on the number of vehicles it can service. Not cheap, but much cheaper than paying a dealer every time a sensor is disturbed.

Note that unplugging the PCM will not force a relearn - the learn is stored in non-volatile memory and needs to be erased.

Reactions: sideproject
For anyone revisiting this thread, I found that this scanner will do the relearn:

Also has a few other features and no limitation on the number of vehicles it can service. Not cheap, but much cheaper than paying a dealer every time a sensor is disturbed.

Note that unplugging the PCM will not force a relearn - the learn is stored in non-volatile memory and needs to be erased.

Any bi-directional scanner can do it, but this one is at a really good price point.

Reactions: Steel City 06

@Steel City 06

Do you have further insight in the functionality of the MK808S for TJs?

For one, what is the actual relearn process for camshaft and crankshaft sensor synchronization when using the scanner?

Does it provide live data for the transmission, like confirming TCC lockup?

I’m also curious if it clears history from modules. I have a few faults stored in the cluster but I’m certain that none are active.

@Steel City 06

Do you have further insight in the functionality of the MK808S for TJs?

For one, what is the actual relearn process for camshaft and crankshaft sensor synchronization when using the scanner?

Does it provide live data for the transmission, like confirming TCC lockup?

I’m also curious if it clears history from modules. I have a few faults stored in the cluster but I’m certain that none are active.

Not sure about the transmission functions since I have a manual. It will clear DTCs, but any $20 scanner can do that too.

It's super easy to do the relearn. Key in ignition, engine off. Click "run" and wait 10 seconds and the learn is erased. Drive normally for a while and it slowly relearns the new sensors and angles.

Not sure about the transmission functions since I have a manual. It will clear DTCs, but any $20 scanner can do that too.

It's super easy to do the relearn. Key in ignition, engine off. Click "run" and wait 10 seconds and the learn is erased. Drive normally for a while and it slowly relearns the new sensors and angles.

Thanks. It sounds as though the scanner is simply clearing the memory to start fresh. If it would actually indicate the degrees between the crankshaft and camshaft sensors that would be impressive but I’m not sure I see enough use for me to spend $500.

There are a lot of MK808 videos but none related to how it interacts with our Jeeps.

any more feedback on this?? Has it resolved the sync issue?

I’m looking at renting a scanner for this.

Is the sync process and relearn process different. If so, what does the sync process involve? I understand relearn is just hitting a button that erases the relationship from memory. What is the sync process??

Sorry the dumb question but i WILL get this p0344 issue fixed

any more feedback on this?? Has it resolved the sync issue?

Yup! Completely resolved it.

That said something else has happened since, but 99% chance it is unrelated. Might have jumped a timing tooth or blown a cat, possibly even the PCM. (I don't have any reason to suspect it could be a result of the scanner.)

I’m looking at renting a scanner for this.

Is the sync process and relearn process different. If so, what does the sync process involve? I understand relearn is just hitting a button that erases the relationship from memory. What is the sync process??

Sorry the dumb question but i WILL get this p0344 issue fixed

P0344 might not necessarily be corrected by a relearn, but it is worth a try. If you get P0016, that will be solved by a relearn, unless there is something mechanically wrong like a timing chain or a worn camshaft gear.

P0344 might not necessarily be corrected by a relearn, but it is worth a try. If you get P0016, that will be solved by a relearn, unless there is something mechanically wrong like a timing chain or a worn camshaft gear.

It’s at the shop now getting a new crown OPDA put in. I have four different brands of CPS ready to go. I’ve inspected the wiring but plan on doing it again.

I’m just not 100% sure the mechanic I took it to will do a relearn. They will install the OPDA correctly and use the right technique, just not sure they have the right equipment to relearn.

Deciding whether to buy this or rent a DRB3 unit.

It’s at the shop now getting a new crown OPDA put in. I have four different brands of CPS ready to go. I’ve inspected the wiring but plan on doing it again.

I’m just not 100% sure the mechanic I took it to will do a relearn. They will install the OPDA correctly and use the right technique, just not sure they have the right equipment to relearn.

Deciding whether to buy this or rent a DRB3 unit.

I talked to Chris earlier this week about writing some threads on using a DRB III for certain functions. I actually have drafts of speedometer calibration and cam/crank relearn/syncing complete as of this morning. I will be proofing them and posting them by the end of the weekend. They will be very complete for 2005/6 model years, but not so for earlier because I have only had access to my 2005 LJ. I'll be adding details as I get access to other model years.

I talked to Chris earlier this week about writing some threads on using a DRB III for certain functions. I actually have drafts of speedometer calibration and cam/crank relearn/syncing complete as of this morning. I will be proofing them and posting them by the end of the weekend. They will be very complete for 2005/6 model years, but not so for earlier because I have only had access to my 2005 LJ. I'll be adding details as I get access to other model years.

Hm compelling. If there’s a lot of helpful articles maybe I’ll go the DRb route. Seems to be the most comprehensive and capable.

An electronic handbook of all the things the DRbIII can do and how to do them would be a Godsend. Even dealerships are becoming less and less capable of dealing with these tools and Tj issues.

Last edited:
An electronic handbook of all the things the DRbIII can do and how to do them would be a Godsend. Even dealerships are becoming less and less capable of dealing with these tools and Tj issues.

My thoughts exactly! Many dealerships don’t have any TJ experts anymore, so we’re on our own…

My thoughts exactly! Many dealerships don’t have any TJ experts anymore, so we’re on our own…

Does one need a flashing computer to get all the functionality we need for this stuff? What can the DRB unit alone do? The rental does not come with a computer.