Interesting OPDA findings

I just got this DRB III, so I’m as far away from a subject matter expert as one can get, unfortunately. However, I’ll look through the menus and take some screen shots if that will help.

Anything would help I'm sure. I've read everything from "program the PIN into the skim" which sounds relatively easy, to that the ecm has to be completely reflashed with a file that has skim enabled, which may or may not be more complex but nonetheless is completely different. I'd like to go into a conversation with the owner if the tool sounding like I have some idea what I'm talking about.

OK, here's the best I can do with my limited skill set. Starting from the opening menu, here's the progression (be aware that from the third to fourth screen shot took some time):

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I didn't want to explore any further, since it may cause problems with my PCM or SKIM.

• Love
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
OK, here's the best I can do with my limited skill set. Starting from the opening menu, here's the progression (be aware that from the third to fourth screen shot took some time):

View attachment 322986

View attachment 322989

View attachment 322990

View attachment 322991

View attachment 322992

View attachment 322993

I didn't want to explore any further, since it may cause problems with my PCM or SKIM.
Thank you!!!

tenor.gif

That makes so much sense to me now. If the pcm had been replaced, it would come without skim enabled so the tech would have occasion to do this operation in that scenario.

Perhaps it just sets a flag used by the PCM to do something the next time it's running?
I have a 2004, section 8I-10 of the factory service manual describes the correct procedure for using the DRB to reset the OPDA on my Jeep. Step 11 refers to the "SET SYNC" screen which I used. I don't know the process on yours. People refer to relearn all the time, maybe because it's a menu item? It isn't what you do on a 2004.

I have a 2004, section 8I-10 of the factory service manual describes the correct procedure for using the DRB to reset the OPDA on my Jeep. Step 11 refers to the "SET SYNC" screen which I used. I don't know the process on yours. People refer to relearn all the time, maybe because it's a menu item? It isn't what you do on a 2004.

Not yet, but I thought 2005-2006 was an entirely new PCM so I wouldn't expect the procedure to be the same as for an 04.

Reactions: pagrey
From the brief time I've used it (I got it this week), I noticed one important characteristic. The menus change based on the specific vehicle plugged in. It scans the modules on the vehicle and creates the menu system. That would explain the difference between your 2004 and my 2005, especially since the ODPA changed in between those model years...

Reactions: pagrey
Apparently, the relearn is specific to the 2005-6 OPDA. Page 8i-12 from the FSM (see Step 12):

1650075748593.png

So, the reason you've heard reference to a relearn function is because it exists, but only for the 2005-6 model years...

Apparently, the relearn is specific to the 2005-6 OPDA. Page 8i-12 from the FSM (see Step 12):

So, the reason you've heard reference to a relearn function is because it exists, but only for the 2005-6 model years...

it's almost like they knew people were gonna be replacing them more often...:unsure:

I've read through this whole thread and am very interested.
Last year, I unfortunately had to have a local Dodge dealer swap in a Crown OPDA. They weren't particularly helpful, and I doubt they would be up for doing step 11 & 12 in the FSM on Page 8i-12. I'm not even sure if they have a DRBIII tool.
When I got my vehicle back, I swapped out the Crown sensor that the OPDA came with and replaced it with the OEM sensor. Do I need to run the cam/crank relearn procedure?

I've read through this whole thread and am very interested.
Last year, I unfortunately had to have a local Dodge dealer swap in a Crown OPDA. They weren't particularly helpful, and I doubt they would be up for doing step 11 & 12 in the FSM on Page 8i-12. I'm not even sure if they have a DRBIII tool.
When I got my vehicle back, I swapped out the Crown sensor that the OPDA came with and replaced it with the OEM sensor. Do I need to run the cam/crank relearn procedure?

If it's running fine, I wouldn't worry about it. I did the re-learn with my DRBIII months after installing the Crown OPDA (with the original OEM sensor). I wasn't having any issues before the re-learn, and doing it didn't change anything that I noticed. In fact, when I performed the re-learn, nothing happened on the DRBIII. I pressed the button, and nothing happened. I'm not sure what it actually does.

I mainly point it out because the re-learn might help if you use an aftermarket cam position sensor and are having issues. But that's just speculation on my part...

Reactions: nolander
If it's running fine, I wouldn't worry about it. I did the re-learn with my DRBIII months after installing the Crown OPDA (with the original OEM sensor). I wasn't having any issues before the re-learn, and doing it didn't change anything that I noticed. In fact, when I performed the re-learn, nothing happened on the DRBIII. I pressed the button, and nothing happened. I'm not sure what it actually does.

I mainly point it out because the re-learn might help if you use an aftermarket cam position sensor and are having issues. But that's just speculation on my part...

Interesting, also hats off to you for having access to a DRBIII in the first place.
I'll likely continue to be interested about the cam/crank sync since I doubt the cranky Dodge dealer did much other than the OPDA swap (which at the time I did not have enough bandwidth to do myself, and figured they had access to that scan tool). As a software tester, my ears perked up reading about all the testing that the author of this thread went through!
Also, it's just flat out spooky driving a vehicle around wondering if two critical components are slowly eating themselves.

Interesting, also hats off to you for having access to a DRBIII in the first place.

It didn't take any skill to pull that off. Just money - and stupid money, at that. :sneaky:

Also, it's just flat out spooky driving a vehicle around wondering if two critical components are slowly eating themselves.

I agree. When I was shopping for my LJ and doing research (mostly here), the OPDA issue had me concerned. I suspect that it makes a noticeable noise for a long time before castrophic failure occurs, but most owners either don't hear it or ignore it.

It didn't take any skill to pull that off. Just money - and stupid money, at that. :sneaky:

I agree. When I was shopping for my LJ and doing research (mostly here), the OPDA issue had me concerned. I suspect that it makes a noticeable noise for a long time before castrophic failure occurs, but most owners either don't hear it or ignore it.

I would be surprised if current owners ignore it or don't hear it. For one, it was very noticeable from inside the passenger compartment, and it was perhaps the most correct name/description for a vehicle related noise I have ever heard (barrel of laughing monkeys).
Also, if you own a 15+ year old Chrysler made vehicle at this point, chances are you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

I replaced the OPDA after the CPS was bad and a Mopar unit was not available. I used the Crown OPDA but got an Echlin CPS from Napa. After a few miles, it would throw a code. From the information on this thread, I figured the DRBIII was the key. The local Jeep shop didn't have access to a one but directed me to another shop that said they did. They were backlogged for several weeks and this is my DD. I found a shop that has an emulator that seemed to do the trick, although at a steep price.

Up and running fine for six months or so. Thanks, again, to all the folks on this forum with the experience to share with others!

Fly64sguy - are you saying that a re-learn fixed an aftermarket sensor triggering a code? If so, that's the first confirmation I've seen that it actually does something, and that's note-worthy.