Intermittent Stalling When Taking Off After Idling

Jay MacLeay

TJ Enthusiast
I've been having a stalling issue with my 2005 6 cylinder manual Jeep. It happens when I am taking off from a stop. Usually when I have been sitting at a light with the engine idling for a few minutes. The engine will power will cut out immediately and the check engine light will flicker on but never stay on or store any codes. Sometimes, if I lift off the accelerator the engine will stay running and I can get put my foot back on the accelerator and continue driving normally. Sometimes, the engine just stalls and I have to restart the Jeep. It always starts right back up.

I have noticed that if I blip the throttle while downshifting to Rev match when coming to stop the it exacerbates the issue. When I blip the throttle, the check engine light will flicker.

So far, I have replaced the cam shaft position senor (echlin) and the crankshaft position (mopar).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've been having a stalling issue with my 2005 6 cylinder manual Jeep. It happens when I am taking off from a stop. Usually when I have been sitting at a light with the engine idling for a few minutes. The engine will power will cut out immediately and the check engine light will flicker on but never stay on or store any codes. Sometimes, if I lift off the accelerator the engine will stay running and I can get put my foot back on the accelerator and continue driving normally. Sometimes, the engine just stalls and I have to restart the Jeep. It always starts right back up.

I have noticed that if I blip the throttle while downshifting to Rev match when coming to stop the it exacerbates the issue. When I blip the throttle, the check engine light will flicker.

So far, I have replaced the cam shaft position senor (echlin) and the crankshaft position (mopar).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Forgot to mention that after stalling/when I blip the throttle and the check engine flicker, the gas gage will read empty and usually slowly return to it's correct reading.

I just said this again last night and I know that I sound like a broken record, but if it's stalling with movement and the gauges are going crazy, it makes me suspect the harness.

Unplug the the fuel pump. Clean the contacts. Apply dielectric grease and plug it back in.