Is anyone running Alien side shades or similar?

Have you got the shades yet? Wondering the quality of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Update, UPS will be in my area, so rather than go to post office they are being delivered by the end of the day rather than tomorrow. Kudos to Quadratec! I just had to say that once in my life. Quality update coming soon

Reactions: Cole
I just put the Alien Sunshade (full) on the TJ and have sides ordered , hopefully will be here by this weekend. Sounds like it does count down tremendously on the wind which is a big plus for us who have the kiddos and also want to have the top off! Rainy here, hopefully we'll see how it works this weekend!

ok, here they are. I can’t see anything quality wise that is lacking. Look like a solid product. If I see something wrong with fit when I install Sunday or Monday I’ll report back.
C57E0AE1-5AAB-4A16-A6ED-50135EB485BE.jpeg

501579D2-BE39-45AE-91D0-B0E9D7DEAEAD.jpeg

1F8D063D-E440-4581-939D-E28CE1E8EDC9.jpeg

Reactions: Riddler6.7
Got the hard top off, cleaned Spidershade and installed the Smittybilt side shades. Smitty’s version of the spider balls is a little different. I prefer the Walmart ones for $1. LOL. Sideshade fit is tight. Took it for a drive with my son in the back. Got up to 75mph. He said it was WAY BETTER. They described it before as feeling like you were getting beat up. Much less wind shear. They usually dip their heads down to limit the shear. I think they will have no problem sitting normally now. Also reported that it was much quieter. He felt like he was in a cage, but he can see out well and still get the breeze. Only drawback is they can’t crawl in and out over the rear wheel well. I’d give it 4 stars

Last edited:
My results were the same as yours. I rolled them back when we hit the trails to allow for airflow and visibility.

Reactions: JMT
My buddy who bought my TJ X a couple years ago made himself a home-made soft top arch for over the front seats. He undoes his Spiderwebshade from the windshield and folds it back on that like a sunrider. Gets the best of having both shade and open air...

Do you have a link? I've looked and couldn't find them anywhere.
I'm thinking about making a set myself. The material is readily available.
https://www.spiderwebshade.com/jeep-products/jeep-type/tj/sw1-lj/

I actually got one of these for my TJ. It gives more coverage in the rear and, as @glwood mentioned, you can fold it behind the front seats to make for a calmer ride up front if it's just for two.

I don't think it would be too difficult to fab one up, especially if you can sew and add the grommets. The material is cheap. I'd make it slightly larger than the typical spidershade, as they do not extend all the way to the roll bars and the sun occasionally comes through right in your EYEBALL!

https://www.spiderwebshade.com/jeep-products/jeep-type/tj/sw1-lj/

I actually got one of these for my TJ. It gives more coverage in the rear and, as @glwood mentioned, you can fold it behind the front seats to make for a calmer ride up front if it's just for two.

I don't think it would be too difficult to fab one up, especially if you can sew and add the grommets. The material is cheap. I'd make it slightly larger than the typical spidershade, as they do not extend all the way to the roll bars and the sun occasionally comes through right in your EYEBALL!
Thanks for the link, but I was looking specifically for the side shades.
If I do end up making them myself I'll definitely come back to comment on how it went.

OK so I know that there has been a witch hunt on smittybilt lately but I wonder if these would do the job since they are half the price? Someone should buy a set and tell us if they are worth it and effective... NOT IT!!

View attachment 39445

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just ordered these from Summit Racing and will be delivered today. I'll post a review once I get them on, etc.

You might just give them a call and see if they make them.
FYI, I did contact the Aliens and they do make the side shades for the LJ. They charge $130. With another $12 for shipping I'm having a hard time justifying it.
On the other hand, Quadratec lists the previously discussed Smittybilt ones as fitting LJ's. Obviously it wouldn't fit like it would on a TJ, but does anyone think they could be made to work? Is the distance between the B pillar and the rear seat the same in a TJ and LJ? My only reason for wanting these is to keep my daughters from being beat up by the sun and wind. I could give a shit about the trunk area getting shade.