Is it possible to put a winch on the factory front bumper?

The only reason I got the 12k was that it was so cheap. If you need more you can make a pulley system with a snatch block. Makes it go really slow but will go 2x the winch force.

8k has always been plenty for me and I've pulled stumps and a tractor with it.

M8000 on the stock bumper with a shop built plate. Might get a Currie Anti Rock Sway bar and lower the winch this summer. Like to see your set up Byhumba...

View attachment 125886
As I stated in my previous post, here are some pictures of my M8274 from better angles than the ones I submitted yesterday. I forgot to mention that I switched to synthetic rope and love it.

20191122_135124.jpg

20191122_135142.jpg

20191122_135154.jpg

Stock bumper with a winch here too
View attachment 125946
Jamison, what tire/wheel/lift setup are you running here if you don't mind me asking?

All, what experiences do you have with winches other than Warn? Their prices have gotten absurd. I don't do a lot of wheeling, my TJ is a weekender for the beach and will occasionally be used for storm recovery here on the coast (ie dragging trees out of the way, stranded vehicles, washed out roads etc).

Has anyone figured out a mount to add d-rings to the factory bumper setup where the tow hooks mount? I like the idea of weight savings using a factory bumper and winch mounting plate but I'm wondering if I could use a snatch block and rig back to a d-ring on the bumper to need less pulling power and save even more weight with a smaller winch. I guess I could rig back to the factory tow hooks but I like the security of the d-ring.

Jamison, what tire/wheel/lift setup are you running here if you don't mind me asking?

I have a 2” ProComp lift with a 1.25” JKS body lift (more like 1” because the pucks compress when your torque them down), 17” JK Moab wheels with 1.25” spacers, and 255/75r17 (32x10.5”) BFG MTs.
91F17041-44A5-4A94-B707-1E911065B9F0.jpeg

Reactions: LA_TJ
So here’s my question. I got a rugged ridge bumper that looks a lot like the stock bumper or a crawler bumper and I did a test fit with the winch plate. It sits flush on the bumper, how do I make room for the bolts to go into the winch?? Do I need to cut or drill holes for them to clear? I don’t want to bolt it through the bumper and winch plate because I know it’ll be a pain. And I don’t want to lift the winch plate with bushings cause I feel like that’ll be a failure waiting to happen. Am I missing something?

So here’s my question. I got a rugged ridge bumper that looks a lot like the stock bumper or a crawler bumper and I did a test fit with the winch plate. It sits flush on the bumper, how do I make room for the bolts to go into the winch?? Do I need to cut or drill holes for them to clear? I don’t want to bolt it through the bumper and winch plate because I know it’ll be a pain. And I don’t want to lift the winch plate with bushings cause I feel like that’ll be a failure waiting to happen. Am I missing something?

Pictures would be helpful. I mounted a no-name winch and winch plate on my 2004 TJ without having to touch the factory bumper, I just had to remove the sway bar cover and put longer bolts in the upper bumper bolt holes.
The bolts that held the winch to the mount were clear of hitting the bumper.

Also mounted an upright Warn on the frot of the '97 I had with the stock bumper. Same scenario, no bumper modification needed.
1691198210473.png

• Love
Reactions: John Cooper
30C85306-8084-4CA6-8423-DC094BCED2AE.jpeg

It sits flush on top of the bumper. I work for a tire company and we get 25% off rough country so I got their winch plate and 9500lb winch.

Reactions: reddvltj

Raised winch plate. It will give you the clearance to mount the winch.

Reactions: deadbeat son
Can't tell how far back the bumper sets under the winch plate. I'm just guessing that the front winch mount holes will have to go through the bumper and the rear dont?

Correct. The back ones are clear, the fronts aren’t. In that case, I guess I have to decide if I want to just make a hole that will clear the head of the bolt or drill a hole and bolt the winch to the bumper and winch plate.

Correct. The back ones are clear, the fronts aren’t. In that case, I guess I have to decide if I want to just make a hole that will clear the head of the bolt or drill a hole and bolt the winch to the bumper and winch plate.
Option B
I would just drill a hole through the bumper and bolt through it, Just get a couple bolts that are equal thickness of the bumper longer.