Is it worth buying fuel tank skid plate

Ed1967

Supporting Member
I have a 06 LJ with Savvy 4 inch lift & tt. Just curious to see if its worth it.

I have a 06 LJ with Savvy 4 inch lift & tt. Just curious to see if its worth it.
Maybe maybe not on your 06. The TJ initially came with a thin sheet metal pan that supported the plastic gas tank and it couldn't protect it from much. Then Jeep beefed it up sometime around 00-01 to around 1/8" which was far more protective and up to most offroad use. But if you're wheeling on really tough terrain where the gas tank can be subjected to hard impacts like on big rocks then Savvy's aluminum gas tank skid plate would be a good investment. I've been running one for probably 15 years and it withstands impacts that are downright massive.

I will be going to the Rubicon next year. Did Hollister a few times.
Nothing to crazy. Just getting out of drag cars.
Trying not to go over board on spending a bunch of money where its not needed.

Maybe maybe not on your 06. The TJ initially came with a thin sheet metal pan that supported the plastic gas tank and it couldn't protect it from much. Then Jeep beefed it up sometime around 00-01 to around 1/8" which was far more protective and up to most offroad use. But if you're wheeling on really tough terrain where the gas tank can be subjected to hard impacts like on big rocks then Savvy's aluminum gas tank skid plate would be a good investment. I've been running one for probably 15 years and it withstands impacts that are downright massive.
X2 on this.

Reactions: Ed1967
Some gas tank skids allow you to raise the tank an inch (with an appropriate body lift).

Reactions: JMT
No one can predict what you will get your rig into with only a few exceptions. If you have a body lift, you can raise your current skid by cutting the supports, overlapping them 1" and welding them back together. That will be about the best you can do until your wheeling tells you that you need a skid. Even then, that 1" makes a huge difference in how much you hit the tank.

Well, that is, unless you are like some of the directionally challenged folks on here that don't know the difference between front and rear, left and right. They would take overlap to mean that you cut a strip of sheetmetal and drop the tank an inch and overlap the gap.

Definitely worth it if you are wheeling hard enough. Ive actually dented my savvy tank :D
20191004_154815.jpg
20191004_154824.jpg

For me, it was worth it...even though I'm not sure I even hit it yet. (maybe I didn't hit it because it's raised now?)
But my '97's factory skid was at death's door from rust, and not really protecting much.
I've replaced it with the Savvy aluminum, and was able to raise it an inch.
The Savvy one also came with the necessary hardware, which was important to me considering the age of the factory hardware.
The peace of mind alone made it worth it to me - but it was something I felt I had to replace regardless.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Ed1967
I bought one solely because the larger 24 gallon gas tank I bought didn't fit the stock skid. Otherwise I would have used the stock skid.

If anything, the thicker steel should hopefully provide more protection in a rear end collision.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I ran a cut and raised stock tank for several years. It made a noticable difference and I strongly recommend it, but I was still beating it in pretty well. A Savvy gas tank skid went on right at the end of this season. I'm looking forward to seeing what I do to it in the Spring.

Reactions: Ed1967 and DrDmoney