Is it worthwhile to sink this money into my LJ?

Pullski

TJ Enthusiast
So, as some of you have seen, I just took ownership of a 2006 LJ Rubicon, “Mongo,” with 81k miles and a 6MT. It’s pretty much perfect, but has a janky suspension, and now needs a $700 catalytic converter (because of some “southern engineering”) so I can pass smog in CA. In addition, it’s going to cost about $1200 to register in CA. Now, I bought this Jeep for 15,500, and in order to repair the PO’s sh*tstorm, I’m gonna be in it for a grand total of ~20k. I figured I would ask y’all TJ/LJ Gods to get some serious info. THANK YOU!

What info do you want?

Also, cats are more like $300 or less:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SMMWFMC/?tag=wranglerorg-20
> Posts a thread titled "One Big Question"
> Doesn't actually ask a clear question

🙃

Sorry y’all! In the heat of the moment, I forgot to address the whole purpose of the post. The question is; is it ultimately worthwhile and beneficial to sink the money into it to get Mongo up to snuff, or is it better to just turn around and sell it off and find a more road worthy one?

Reactions: Chris
Keeping it or selling is more something you have to answer yourself.

I have a 1997 TJ I bought in 2002 that I have sunk $20-30K into over the past 18 years so for some of us they are a passion. Could I have started over again and been a head of the game? Most likely but it has sentimental value now and my daughter would be really upset if I was to get rid of it.

You own the Jeep now so only you can decide.

Keeping it or selling is more something you have to answer yourself.

I have a 1997 TJ I bought in 2002 that I have sunk $20-30K into over the past 18 years so for some of us they are a passion. Could I have started over again and been a head of the game? Most likely but it has sentimental value now and my daughter would be really upset if I was to get rid of it.

You own the Jeep now so only you can decide.
Your quote says it all...I’m with you on the over analyzer extraordinaire. Just kind of a crappy situation to be put on in the current financial situation 😂

Reactions: Starrs
Is it going to be worth spending the time and effort to try to resell it? Plus, don't you already have to pay to get the title in your name, which means you still need to register it and pay the taxes? Let's say you do that and sell it, and you get another one. Are you confident that the new Jeep won't need anything and will be road worthy immediately and for a long time before you start putting money into it? If you like this one and already paid 15k for it, why not just spend another few and be over with it and save yourself the time and effort? I'd keep it

Reactions: Fonz54 and Pullski
Your quote says it all...I’m with you on the over analyzer extraordinaire. Just kind of a crappy situation to be put on in the current financial situation 😂

Well if you can afford to hang onto the rig until things improve and then fix it that is always an option.

Yes I sometimes like to over analyze things and will ask a question 10 times because I don't understand the answer the first 9 times. I'm good at getting under some peoples skin.

Reactions: Pullski
Also, the cats have to be CARB certified because I live here in the great state of Commiefornia, where god forbid we could do anything like the rest of the US.

To my knowledge, no. No one is visually inspecting the cats to see if they say CARB certified on them.

Does someone actually look at the cats to see if they are CARB certified? I'm confused.
Yeah, it's part of the visual inspection. On my 06 Civic Si, I have an aftermarket air intake that came with a CARB approved sticker that has to be placed on the car so it can pass smog.

1588474559722.png

Last edited:
Yes, even being 20K into it. It's a really clean (in all the other respects) LJR, and will actually be worth 20k+

First of all, asking us if we think keeping any LJR you got for 15k+ is like asking anyone in prison if they want sex or drugs.

The main problem with most all TJ/LJ’s is most always the previous owner.

If you want one of these , and you like yours and it isn’t rusted, and have the resources to carry through what you plan to do , go for it. A nice one is going to cost you over 20,000 , and that one will cost you more than you think probably ...for the same reason a kitchen remodel and many other projects cost more -we often don’t fathom all we need or want to do until we dive in.

As far as being Gods, we aren’t , but we do have some wise men and a prophet or two on here....and the best TJ/LJ knowledge you will find, this forum is about is what really works - that means if someone says you don’t need a dropped pitman arm, they mean you don’t need a dropped pitman arm, and know why.

Good luck whatever you do.

Last edited: