Is it worthwhile to sink this money into my LJ?

I know Chris it’s really annoying living here. Our restrictions and laws are INSANE. I am definitely looking to move out of state eventually, but my whole family is here and I’ve lived my whole life here. Maybe if I can convince my family to move as well?

My grand kids and ex wife moved to Long Beach/Lakewood about a year and a half ago. Then, it cost my ex 1700.00 to register/change over her Colorado 08 Subaru, a 50 state made model. And now, because of a job relocation, they are moving back to Colorado 😂 So glad I moved 11 years ago !

Keep your Jeep, build it how you want it, don't count the total dollars as you go, and enjoy the damn thing. The good times and freedom are priceless !

Ray

Reactions: Pullski
There is a mindset among some folks around here (where I live- not the forum )- that in 6-8 years- LJR's in decent shape will all be going for 25K+, so you might as well keep it
And that type of engineering in your OP-- you must have had a brain fart, cause its called west coast engineering-- just so ya know-—--Neil Young

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus, you called it "my" Jeep. Not "this" Jeep or "the" Jeep. So you already think of it as yours. So keep it. Replacing with another would probably cost more in the end.

"This is my Jeep. There are many like it, but this one is mine. ... I must drive my Jeep through. I must drive straighter than the death wobble which is trying to kill me."

Semper Jeep
This is my Jeep and this is my truck. My Jeep is for Jeepin and my truck is for fun 😂...doesn’t really work the same way as your quote but it’s the best I could come up with. SEMPER JEEP!

Did the PO do a pre-sale smog or did you just buy it and are now getting around to smogging it?

Reason I ask... state law, owner is required to smog the vehicle prior to sale and the smog for transfer of ownership is only valid for 45 or 60 days(IIRC).

That being said, I don't think anyone is going to report you, but to be legal, you would have to smog the vehicle prior to selling it to someone else in the state of California. When I bought my TJ in January, all the Jeeps I looked at, owners understood and had plans to smog before I would give them a penny. You might have trouble reselling it if your prospective buyer knows the law and expects it to be smogged. Your miles may vary... ;)

Back to the original question... I'd say put the money into it. Having been in the automotive field for more than 10 years, all in wholesale, a clean jeep will retain its value like no other and there has to be a reason you bought it. Fix it up, mod it out, and enjoy driving PCH with the top off. :)
Well the thing is, is that it was from Texas. It passed Texas emissions with flying colors. Texas emissions make sense. The guy here in CA literally looked at the weld that was done to re-connect the original one piece cat piping and said “no way this will pass.” He didn’t even test the actual emissions because it failed the visual. I was hoping that if I did decide to sell it, that I would sell it out of state.

Reactions: BlueFl.Wrangler
What info do you want?

Also, cats are more like $300 or less:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SMMWFMC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Chris, I live in California and cannot find any CARB (Ca Air Resources Board) compliant replacement full exhaust for my '06 LJ Rubicon. I event checked the MOPAR web site. When googling for it, there are many aftermarket options that look exactly like mine (2 pre cats, pipe down to the cat) but all say "49 state compliant except CA, NY, Mn". Question, do you know if anyone makes a CARB compliant full exhaust system? Much appreciated.

Chris, I live in California and cannot find any CARB (Ca Air Resources Board) compliant replacement full exhaust for my '06 LJ Rubicon. I event checked the MOPAR web site. When googling for it, there are many aftermarket options that look exactly like mine (2 pre cats, pipe down to the cat) but all say "49 state compliant except CA, NY, Mn". Question, do you know if anyone makes a CARB compliant full exhaust system? Much appreciated.

It ain't cheap, but here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K9Z075O/?tag=wranglerorg-20

CALCAT® CARB-COMPLIANT CATALYTIC CONVERTER
  • Stainless steel body with aluminized pipe and heat shields for durability.
  • OE-style hangers, brackets, routings and heat shields allow for quick and easy installation on direct-fit units.
  • Expandable bushings for custom installation requirements.
  • Universal converter may require modification to complete installation.
  • 5-year/50,000-mile catalytic performance and structural integrity warranty.
  • Legal for sale in the state of California, complies with C.A.R.B. regulations.

Has anyone installed an after market, non CARB compliant, full exhaust (2 pre cats, 1 main cat) and passed a smog check in CA? I'm wondering if there is any detectable difference in the honeycomb catalyst used in CARB and non CARB compliant systems....??

It ain't cheap, but here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K9Z075O/?tag=wranglerorg-20

CALCAT® CARB-COMPLIANT CATALYTIC CONVERTER
  • Stainless steel body with aluminized pipe and heat shields for durability.
  • OE-style hangers, brackets, routings and heat shields allow for quick and easy installation on direct-fit units.
  • Expandable bushings for custom installation requirements.
  • Universal converter may require modification to complete installation.
  • 5-year/50,000-mile catalytic performance and structural integrity warranty.
  • Legal for sale in the state of California, complies with C.A.R.B. regulations.
Much appreciated!!!

Reactions: Chris
but all say "49 state compliant except CA, NY, Mn".
Lets see- if i do the math-— granted I was not the sharpest knife in the butcher block when I was in school--
That would be 47 state compliant
yes / no ?o_O

Has anyone installed an after market, non CARB compliant, full exhaust (2 pre cats, 1 main cat) and passed a smog check in CA? I'm wondering if there is any detectable difference in the honeycomb catalyst used in CARB and non CARB compliant systems....??
I just installed new cats in my 06. I'm planning a road trip to visit my buddy in Cali over the summer, I will pass every smog station I see. So, I will be passing smog in Cali.

As far as your problem, hopefully someone chimes in. You can't just pay the Dude at the gas station to pass you anymore? I mean legally and all....

Magnaflow, Eastern, and Bosal. If you check through craigslist you might get lucky like I did. I found an OEM cat from a part of that was in great shape with sensors for $300

Reactions: Alex01
So with my recent experience, it just has to look factory. The new smog check is super dumb. They hook up to your OBD-II port and check all the sensors, and do a visual check. So unless the aftermarket cat screws with the sensors (which mine didn’t), you should be ok as long as it LOOKS stock.

Lol
I just installed new cats in my 06. I'm planning a road trip to visit my buddy in Cali over the summer, I will pass every smog station I see. So, I will be passing smog in Cali.

As far as your problem, hopefully someone chimes in. You can't just pay the Dude at the gas station to pass you anymore? I mean legally and all....

If you do, they will charge you an arm and a leg! I was offered to pay $300 bucks to pass mine before I found a legal cat (which ended up being $50 less than what I actually paid for a legal cat AND smog)

Lol

If you do, they will charge you an arm and a leg! I was offered to pay $300 bucks to pass mine before I found a legal cat (which ended up being $50 less than what I actually paid for a legal cat AND smog)
Dang.