Is it worthwhile to sink this money into my LJ?

Wow, I guess the Nazis are thorough indeed šŸ¤£
Yes, my son has a 97 Firebird that failed smog because the CARB # on the cat was scraped off from speed bumps. Had to buy a whole new cat because of some scratches.

Reactions: Pullski
Yes, my son has a 97 Firebird that failed smog because the CARB # on the cat was scraped off from speed bumps. Had to buy a whole new cat because of some scratches.

The more I hear about the great state of California, the more it makes my complaints about Oregon seem tiny by comparison.

Why is the registration $1200? Are you transferring reg from another state?

Is it possible you are talking to a very unfriendly smog station?

They charge you sales tax on ā€œnewā€ purchases of vehicles. And additional if it comes from another state. This state is a ridiculous joke to live in. Everything is legislated, and stupidly at that.
I paid 15k for an 03 Sport that I bought here in CA. At the time I was looking, it was the best I could find. And even then the diff went out about 6 months later and I was into it for 2200 more. I did add a rear locker and regear at that time though. Along with other things, Iā€™m easily at 20k. I would keep the Rubi.

I was always under the impression TJs were sold as 50-state vehicles. I guess I was wrong.
TJ's were sold with CARB approved cats but most aftermarket cats are not CARB certified. A CARB cat has a much stronger matrix and at least twice the life expectancy of a none CARB cat.

Reactions: Pullski and Chris
As I mentioned in your build thread, the price pint for your LJR is strong. Given the miles, manual and khaki, you're in good financial spot as far as what you have in it. That said, you will have a hard time buying any LJR out there for that price point that won't need some things. Mine was 7k, with 226k and Ive done cats, exhaust, O2s, plugs, AC low pressure switch, headlights, tires, Savvy lift and all new brakes/calipers/rotors/lines. Not to mention every fluid. So I have quite a chunk more into it than the purchase price. Point is, you've got a lower mileage LJR, manual, that needs a few grand to get right and you'll have an excellent base to enjoy. I wouldn't even bat an eye at it honestly.

Reactions: Alex01 and Pullski
TJ's were sold with CARB approved cats but most aftermarket cats are not CARB certified. A CARB cat has a much stronger matrix and at least twice the life expectancy of a none CARB cat.

I learn something new everyday, thanks for this!

state of Commiefornia, where god forbid we could do anything like the rest of the US.

since you are grasping your position in the US, you should also grasp that you are asking rest of the US on what you should do in the great state of Commifornia.

I was in LA for 3 years, it was 3 years of shit show that i am still not fully grasping.
Unless some Cali fella helps you out, you are dealing with people who are clueless of the shit you have to put up with.

Better yet, since you are in California, contact @mrblaine on this forum and have him help you get a proper suspension set up done. If I were out west, heā€™d have my Jeep in his hands, no questions asked. Iā€™m not sure the extra cost of doing the Savvy Mid arm vs reinstalling factory mounts but a conversation with him is the first thing I would do. If Iā€™m not mistaken he designed the Savvy mid arm. In your situation, have it done right.

It's a lot easier for people to say to just move to a different state, but that isn't always possible. Most jobs requore you to be there. Not 3 states over. Especially now is the wrong time to boldly and blindly move to a "better" state that may or may not have a job for you. I live in NY. This is a total shitshow with a whiny bitch of a governor who is (true) laying off hospital workers, as in doctors and nurses, as he cries to the camera needing help.
Anyway, I have (luckily) both parents alive and in their mid to late eighties. There is no way I could move from here, regardless of the criminal activity, I mean government, in this state. I feel for you in California. It seems we are both trying to win the "worst of the worst" category. At least you have better weather ( tho having Ed Begley Jr. Makes it a wash.)šŸ˜‰

To my knowledge, no. No one is visually inspecting the cats to see if they say CARB certified on them.
They definitely do look to make sure that they are stock/aftermarket, and if theyā€™re aftermarket then they look at the CARB sticker.

• Angry
Reactions: Chris
I freaking love all these responses yā€™all! Iā€™m thinking more towards keeping it now. And yā€™all donā€™t like the name!? It makes perfect sense because itā€™s a big, slow, lumbering beast šŸ˜‚

They definitely do look to make sure that they are stock/aftermarket, and if theyā€™re aftermarket then they look at the CARB sticker.
I know Chris itā€™s really annoying living here. Our restrictions and laws are INSANE. I am definitely looking to move out of state eventually, but my whole family is here and Iā€™ve lived my whole life here. Maybe if I can convince my family to move as well?

Did the PO do a pre-sale smog or did you just buy it and are now getting around to smogging it?

Reason I ask... state law, owner is required to smog the vehicle prior to sale and the smog for transfer of ownership is only valid for 45 or 60 days(IIRC).

That being said, I don't think anyone is going to report you, but to be legal, you would have to smog the vehicle prior to selling it to someone else in the state of California. When I bought my TJ in January, all the Jeeps I looked at, owners understood and had plans to smog before I would give them a penny. You might have trouble reselling it if your prospective buyer knows the law and expects it to be smogged. Your miles may vary... ;)

Back to the original question... I'd say put the money into it. Having been in the automotive field for more than 10 years, all in wholesale, a clean jeep will retain its value like no other and there has to be a reason you bought it. Fix it up, mod it out, and enjoy driving PCH with the top off. :)