Is it worthwhile to sink this money into my LJ?

Chris, I live in California and cannot find any CARB (Ca Air Resources Board) compliant replacement full exhaust for my '06 LJ Rubicon.
Go here:

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/AftermarketParts/catalysts

You have plenty of alternatives now for CA approved stuff. If you get a list to your local muffler shop or buy the approved stuff and take it to them you can save allot of money. You don't need the whole thing to be CARB legal, just to the rear cat. The rest can be anything you want. I think you can even replace individual parts now.

Reactions: Pullski
1589845120140.png

Here you go!

Go here:

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/AftermarketParts/catalysts

You have plenty of alternatives now for CA approved stuff. If you get a list to your local muffler shop or buy the approved stuff and take it to them you can save allot of money. You don't need the whole thing to be CARB legal, just to the rear cat. The rest can be anything you want. I think you can even replace individual parts now.

Thanks!

Reactions: pagrey
If you can turn the wrenches, you can save yourself some money and do the cat replacement yourself. It’s 4 bolts that are holding the cat onto the headers. It’s a bit of work, but it took me about 4-5 hours (including trips to the hardware store/waiting for a buddy to arrive with extra extensions). I would recommend replacing all 3 cats, because it will most likely save you a lot of grief unless you find a smog station that isn’t too pesky. The guy at my station took one look at my cats and said ”Nope that’s not stock; it looks modified.” Granted, mine was very southern engineered and the weld looked like bubblegum, but still.

@ORECART when was the last time your Jeep was smogged? If they did the sniffer into the exhaust last time, you should plug in an OBD-II reader into your rig and make sure that all of your readiness tests are completed.

Reactions: ORECART
Good advice, in terms of doing the work myself. Flowmaster makes the whole system for $255, non CARB. Magnaflow and others make the SAME thing, but CARB, for $1299! It seams that companies that have the CARB approval pay extra to get CARB approval (I get it, testing etc) and then have to charge the customer way more. Another California tax.....

I have nothing to add bit, pre-Covid, I would see you each morning taking my daughter to school. Good looking Jeep. Sorry to hear about the Cats. I believe your theory is correct. I spoke with another LJ owner. He paid $2,000 for a CARB compliant exhaust. I thought he got ripped off but, maybe that’s the shop rate.

It costs a lot for a carb certification. Each test costs. They test for a (these are examples) 3.73 4.0L, 4.10 4.0L, 373 4.0L with A/C, 4.10 4.0L with A/C, etc and this goes on for each model year.
CARB is a big scam. Set up to suck the money out of your pocket.
Remember when you could pour fuel out of a 5 gal can? Thanks to CARB's goal of stopping fuel cans from splashing now all they do is splash fuel all over trying to get the damn spout to work.
Gov't is bad. Cal's CARB Gov't is corrupt.

It costs a lot for a carb certification. Each test costs. They test for a (these are examples) 3.73 4.0L, 4.10 4.0L, 373 4.0L with A/C, 4.10 4.0L with A/C, etc and this goes on for each model year.
CARB is a big scam. Set up to suck the money out of your pocket.
Remember when you could pour fuel out of a 5 gal can? Thanks to CARB's goal of stopping fuel cans from splashing now all they do is splash fuel all over trying to get the damn spout to work.
Gov't is bad. Cal's CARB Gov't is corrupt.
Gotta love Commiefornia eh? It’s only getting worse too! At least my city has some semblance of sanity left!