Is loose steering on a TJ normal?

I'm curious if this adjustment is also on the steering box on the later model TJ's that had the different steering box? I think they switched the box in 2003-2006 models.
I believe it should be the same just minus the removable cap. However I can't remember for sure as I replaced mine with a psc box years ago.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

I believe it should be the same just minus the removable cap. However I can't remember for sure as I replaced mine with a psc box years ago.

How hard is it to do a psc swap and what kind of cost am I looking at?

How hard is it to do a psc swap and what kind of cost am I looking at?
The only hard part is on your wallet ;)
The steering boxes are not cheap but they will give you more power to your steering and be rebuildable. If you get the box for your jeep it's just a drop in.

If like me you found one from a part out and you are converting to an older style (mine was from a 2000) you need to move one of the mounting holes on the frame, replace the lines with the older style ones, and ether shortten your steering shaft (apparently can be done by removing a roll pin) or replacing it with an older style one like i did)

The advantages are the older style boxes are a bit cheaper. But if you have to pay labor, or pay full price for the parts to do the conversion then don't bother, it's cheaper to go with the box for your year.

Provided that the play is from the box and not from the ujoints in the steering shaft yes.

The adjustment screw will fix a dead spot. If your steering is tight but it still wanders your issue is probably alignment.

Caster is a big one. Also what size tire are you running?

Ok that's not too huge, a bit of extra toe may help.

Caster is measured with an angle finder accross the ball joint. It can be set with adjustable control arms or cam bolts

tjsteering(1).jpg

usually, adjusting the drag link, centers the steering wheel and a bad track bar bushing and setting caster fixes the wondering.

Ok I got it fixed, I put cam bolts on and fixed the caster would have been a 30min. job if the washers were the right size, it was a simple fix just ground them down a little. Probably took an hour even the grinding and setting to in. Drives great.

Nice, it's amazing what a proper alignment will do.

So I noticed the other day that my steering had a lot of play especially on the highway, and I found this thread. I put my jeep on jack stands and had my friend wiggle the wheel while I was underneath, and I found that the input shaft to the steering box was moving with the wheel and the pitman arm was barely moving (as seen in the video below).

I tightened the allen screw by a quarter turn twice, and it seemed to help a little but it also made it harder to turn. I didn't want to turn it too much, should I keep tightening it until its better?

I also noticed my passenger axle u joint seemed loose when I wiggled it, so I plan on replacing it. Should I do my driver side too to be safe even though it was tighter?

So, I am a first time jeep owner. I took my it to get an alignment after replacing tie rods, drag link, sway bar links, and shocks. The guy who handed me my keys after doing the alignment told me there's still some slop in the steering but he went on to say how that's just the nature of the short wheel-base? Is this true? or should I keep checking things out until I get this thing fixed?

I still have to turn the steering wheel about ten degrees to stay straight and there is a slight dead spot as well. It really just doesn't seem natural for the jeep. I am guessing it is the track bar or something but it is driving me crazy. I just want it fixed

By the way it's a 1997 2.5 with a 4" lift.
The wheelbase is the length from wheel to wheel , that's a measurement. That has nothing to do with the steering not working properly. Not sure how they managed to connect that.

was under there and it felt fine. Didn’t even think to check the bushings
You typically can't feel anything by hand on a track bar, that arm centers the axles and moves the weight of the entire frame and powertrain. It takes a dry test to reveal movement.

There are 6 bushings on the front shocks, 2 on the rear shocks, 12 on the sway bars , 16 on the control arms, 4 on the track bars...they all matter.

I put my jeep on jack stands and had my friend wiggle the wheel while I was underneath,

you want the Jeep on the ground not on stands

I tightened the allen screw by a quarter turn twice, and it seemed to help a little but it also made it harder to turn. I didn't want to turn it too much, should I keep tightening it until its better?

The box isn't intended to be adjusted like that. If the box is worn out, it needs to be replaced.