Is loose steering on a TJ normal?

Dealing with the same thing on a 2000 TJ just picked it up. These are helpful posts. I'll start digging in.

Dealing with the same thing on a 2000 TJ just picked it up. These are helpful posts. I'll start digging in.
Have someone turn the wheel back and forth, approx 1/2 turn while you inspect everything. Track bar, steering linkage. Steering box. If the steering shaft is turning then the pitman arm should be as well. There should be very very small amount of play between the input and output of the box.

Have someone turn the wheel back and forth, approx 1/2 turn while you inspect everything. Track bar, steering linkage. Steering box. If the steering shaft is turning then the pitman arm should be as well. There should be very very small amount of play between the input and output of the box.
If there is play between the input and output like mine, is the answer new steering box or could it be the steering shaft too? I tightened it a little which helped some but it's still not ideal

A little is ok. If it bad enough where you have a dead spot between
11 and 1oclock it needs some attention. You may be able to tighten your box a bit. Most likely it needs a replacement.

Last edited:
Best thing is to have a person who works on jeeps/truck/OffRoad stuff to do the alignment. A regular auto shop won't toe in or know how to adjust it perfectly. It's not a jeep thing, jeeps can steer really well even with big tires on. Death wobble is also optional unless you bought a Rusty lift kit. TLDR A regular alignment shop will mess it up every time. Red neck alignment is more accurate.

So, I am a first time jeep owner. I took my it to get an alignment after replacing tie rods, drag link, sway bar links, and shocks. The guy who handed me my keys after doing the alignment told me there's still some slop in the steering but he went on to say how that's just the nature of the short wheel-base? Is this true? or should I keep checking things out until I get this thing fixed?

I still have to turn the steering wheel about ten degrees to stay straight and there is a slight dead spot as well. It really just doesn't seem natural for the jeep. I am guessing it is the track bar or something but it is driving me crazy. I just want it fixed

By the way it's a 1997 2.5 with a 4" lift.
No. Not normal at all. Common, yes.

• Wow
Reactions: ColoJeep