Is loose steering on a TJ normal?

I generally do that with the jeep running so you get more pressure on all the joints. Sometimes you have to feel for a clicking you can see.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Tires look almost brand new fronts are at 28psi I didn’t have time to do the rears when I did the front so no clue on them.(could be a problem now that I think about it).
They said the track bar was slightly loose when I got it aligned but I checked it when I was under there and it felt fine. Didn’t even think to check the bushings on it.

And yes there is some slight walking going on when I let go of the steering wheel but nothing excessive. I have no clue about the lift as it was installed when I bought the Jeep. And I haven’t checked the control arms but I’m sure we would have noticed if they were bad when I was under there. That’s my main reason why I want to drop it and do my own lift on it and do the H&R coils with bilstein shocks so I know everything on it is quality and in good condition.
I really do not like my Bilstein shocks. I feel every bump. Just sayin’...

Reactions: Serbonze

Why must you further complicate my life :mad:.

I mean I guess there’s different strokes for different folks. Worse comes to worse I’ll just throw the bds kit on it.

I find they are harsh when cold then smooth out after a bit. They are rock hard in the winter tough. Off road they are wonderful.

Reactions: JMT
I find they are harsh when cold then smooth out after a bit. They are rock hard in the winter tough. Off road they are wonderful.

Maybe that is what I am experiencing, bc I did not think this too much until recently. Will see in the spring. Although, I’m still changing them. So if someone wants some Bilstein 5100’s for 3.5-4” Lift, let me know.

Maybe that is what I am experiencing, bc I did not think this too much until recently. Will see in the spring. Although, I’m still changing them. So if someone wants some Bilstein 5100’s for 3.5-4” Lift, let me know.

You ship? how old are they?

You ship? how old are they?
They are 1 yr old. I have receipts. They have ~ 12,000 miles on them. They are Rubicon Express stamped Bilstein. I called RE and they told me they are Bilstein 5100’s. You can call them too with the stamped numbers to confirm this.

I was going to ask $200 locally, which means I can take $150+ s/h.

For all 4?
Yeah, I think they go for $83 a piece, or so, brand new. So basically it's about half price, like buying just the fronts or rears. The bushings are already pressed into place, of course, so that's another obstacle you don't have to overcome!

Oh, here's the extend/collapse lengths
Front: 23.5/14.9
Rear: 23.8/14.8

Reactions: Mike_H
When would you be looking to sell them? are they already of the jeep?
They're on the Jeep. But if you wanted to buy them, I could get some others and install within a week and have them shipped out. I can take some pics too, probably tomorrow, it's raining today and I don't get off till 8:30pm.

Well, let's say this, I could install new shocks Friday week, and ship out Friday or Saturday, Mar 2 or 3.

The wheel not being stright is a drag link length issue. That's adjustable provided the collar isn't rusted in place. The dead spot can be reduced as well to a point by an adjustment on the steering box.
On top there is an Alan screw with a nut locking it in place. Loosen the nut and make small 1/4 turn at a time adjustments of the Allan screw till things tighten up. Keep in mind there will always be a small dead spot in any steering box setup.

I'm curious if this adjustment is also on the steering box on the later model TJ's that had the different steering box? I think they switched the box in 2003-2006 models.

I'm curious if this adjustment is also on the steering box on the later model TJ's that had the different steering box? I think they switched the box in 2003-2006 models.
I too am curious about this. I have a bit of play in my steering box, I noticed the other day.