Is the 231 and 241 transfer case interchangeable?

rraulston

TJ Enthusiast
I am considering doing this:

NSG370 to ax15 Terminator transmission conversion:
1. Bell housing from advance adapters Part #712590 = 425.00, needed because it puts flywheel position sensor in correct location.
2. Brand new ax15 1795.00 plus 100.00 shipping from Rockland Standard Gear they have them in stock. New version has updated synchronizers.
3. Upper handle of Shifter needed = handle is 177.36 from Rockland Standard Gear. Has to be heated and bent.
4. Clutch disc has to be ax15 style and pressure plate has to be nsg370 style
5.need ax15 slave cylinder kit part # 716340 167.64 from advanced adapters
6. Total cost of conversion = 2500.00 (if a new tranny is used)

But am not sure if this applies to a Rubicon?? Its $2500 to rebuild mine. One guy said you are nuts to do that if you could do the conversion for the same price. Dang...I really wanted an automatic.... Thanks RR

So you're trying to convert your NSG370 to an AX-15? Smart decision if you ask me. The AX-15 is a far better transmission IMHO.

But what are you asking? Are you asking if the new AX-15 will work with your 241OR transfer case in your Rubicon?

I'm not 100% sure. It will work, but some small things may or may not need to be changed (i.e. output shaft from the transmission).

I'd call Advanced Adapters, they'll know for sure.

The NP231 will bolt right up to the AX15, does that mean the 241 will? are the mounting flanges clocked and measure the same?? I will call them...

The NP231 will bolt right up to the AX15, does that mean the 241 will? are the mounting flanges clocked and measure the same?? I will call them...

If the 231 will bolt right up, the 241 should as well. I say that because there are a lot of people who have swapped the 241 in-place of their 231 without issue.

However, I would call just to make sure. I'm very confident it fits without issue though.

Reactions: rraulston
Hey guys, how confident are we the 231 will work in place of a 241 J ?? My 241 J blew itself apart.
Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, how confident are we the 231 will work in place of a 241 J ?? My 241 J blew itself apart.
Thanks in advance.

It's not a direct bolt-in swap if that's what you're asking.

1. The mounting to the transmission is exactly the same, clocking and bolt pattern
2. I believe the 42RLE requires a short input shaft, which means you would need a 231 from 2003 or later. If you have a manual trans it doesn't matter.
3. Driveshafts have different size u-joints so you would need your shafts modified or find larger yokes to put on your 231, if that exists.
4. I don't know if the yokes end up in the same place or not, which would require additional driveshaft modification or replacement.
5. I know the Savvy cable shifter is different for 231 vs 241 which implies the transfer case selector connects differently, but I don't know how.

Most people go the other way. I suppose with 2 new shafts and a cable shifter it might still be a little cheaper than a replacement 241, but the money saved wouldn't be worth losing 4:1 low range, in my opinion.

Reactions: pagrey
One thing that matters is if the ax15 came from a cherokee,, then you need to reclock the xfre case mounting holes on the trans, which is surprisingly easy. The castings leave room for eitherconfiguration. Just gotta drill. did this on my yj.

According to Chris in this thread-
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/np231-transfer-case-differences.23587/
The 30rh and 32rh along with the AX15 all have short input shafts .

The table sourced in that post is badly flawed. Later research by various forum members has suggested it mostly breaks down by year. Within a model year, they're the same whether it's auto or manual. Years where the auto was the 32rh are long input and if the auto was the 42rle it was all short input. The 32rh output seal won't even reach a short input, so to match those up requires an aftermarket seal extension.

It's not a direct bolt-in swap if that's what you're asking.

1. The mounting to the transmission is exactly the same, clocking and bolt pattern
2. I believe the 42RLE requires a short input shaft, which means you would need a 231 from 2003 or later. If you have a manual trans it doesn't matter.
3. Driveshafts have different size u-joints so you would need your shafts modified or find larger yokes to put on your 231, if that exists.
4. I don't know if the yokes end up in the same place or not, which would require additional driveshaft modification or replacement.
5. I know the Savvy cable shifter is different for 231 vs 241 which implies the transfer case selector connects differently, but I don't know how.

Most people go the other way. I suppose with 2 new shafts and a cable shifter it might still be a little cheaper than a replacement 241, but the money saved wouldn't be worth losing 4:1 low range, in my opinion.

The main difference is the 231 shift lever points opposite the 241. The t-case bracket and connector on the cable are different due to that.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
The table sourced in that post is badly flawed. Later research by various forum members has suggested it mostly breaks down by year. Within a model year, they're the same whether it's auto or manual. Years where the auto was the 32rh are long input and if the auto was the 42rle it was all short input. The 32rh output seal won't even reach a short input, so to match those up requires an aftermarket seal extension.

Hopefully we can get an update to that resource . Thanks

Reactions: freedom_in_4low