Is the Jeep wave almost extinct?

When I first started driving a Jeep, my CJ-7 I bought in high school in the '80's, there weren't as many Jeeps around and in my rural area in Indiana, I don't recall the wave being a thing, other than everybody generally waved on a back road, even folks out in their field or front porch.

I didn't notice it as being a thing until later on when I moved.

Now, just moved to East TN near Chattanooga, and Jeeps are everywhere...like, I could pretty much just leave my hand up as I drive around. I like the wave, we need more humanity these days. Though I do notice, it's about 50/50 if I get a wave back and sometimes, myself, I miss a chance to wave here and there. So, I'm trying not to get too neurotic about it...since my TJ is stock and somewhat clean...I'm a real Jeeper!! 🖐:)

Save the wave!!

I'm too new at this to have a definitive feel for it, but its pretty common here in Florida. I got my first Jeep wave when I was driving mine home from the car dealer!

There's a guy on yootoob who claims Jeepers should also wave at Deuce and a halfs because they were made by Kaiser Jeep. But what about Libertys and esp. Patriots?

Hi All,
I ALWAYS wave to all Jeeps. Over the past few months, it seems I'm not getting it back. Is it starting to go away with the JK-JL generations? It seems less and less from the 4 door crowd.

Thanks,
Mark
Get used to it , I wave at WRANGLER - Jeeps.
Mind you, I’m also find myself waiving
At anything modified for going off-road
( SAMIS, Subarus , ..... ). 😂

Biggest problem I have is having people always looking at my passenger seat in my Right Hand Drive TJ, need to out a Jeep wave sticker on my driver's mirror :ROFLMAO:

I wave at any Jeep I see, oddly enough TJs are the best for waving back even when I'm in my Liberty.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Biggest problem I have is having people always looking at my passenger seat in my Right Hand Drive TJ, need to out a Jeep wave sticker on my driver's mirror :ROFLMAO:

I wave at any Jeep I see, oddly enough TJs are the best for waving back even when I'm in my Liberty.
You just need a big sticker of an arrow pointing to the right saying " I'm over here ! "

It has fallen by the wayside thanks to punks in Monster flatties who think they are better than you & clueless soccer moms driving JKs/ modern minivans. I'll wave to any Jeep, regardless of model, that looks like it has a well worn 4Low handle.

I have had Jeeps since just high school, and I'm retired now. So, I have been waving for nearly 50 years and find that anyone in a TJ, LJ, YJ, or CJ tends to always wave/wave back. The JK/JL crowd, half don't notice you at all as they're busy looking at the phone or some other distraction or just plain ignore you. The other half actually do look and wave, and a few look like they actually take their Jeep off pavement and will wave.

Hi All,
I ALWAYS wave to all Jeeps. Over the past few months, it seems I'm not getting it back. Is it starting to go away with the JK-JL generations? It seems less and less from the 4 door crowd.

Thanks,
Mark
Not dead, but definitely on life support. As long as Jeeps are modded, I believe it'll live on. It took a major hit with the JK four door Starbucks, neons, 20 size rim crowd. Sorry to JK and JL guys...I gave up.
Too many kids in auto-ignore or cell phone land. I'll wave at an XJ or Liberty or modded yota before initiating with a JK or JL. Modded JKs may get me to initiate, but not if neon halos are coming at me. Ha ha.

Reactions: TJ Starting
If it’s modded jk and up I wave, if they wave first I wave, Tj and older I wave just cause.
Though I would like to apologize to all the auto guys that wave at me while I’m shifting and then get offended that I didint wave back. Oh and for the record I’m a high schooler, so I’d say the wave isin’t dead yet.

You'll have to bear with me a bit on this one - I have a Land Rover Defender (proper Land Rover not the latest Kia/Hyundai hybrid effort) and we have the Land Rover wave, which applies to Defender, Tdi,110/90 and all Series vehicles, maybe a Classic Range Rover at a pinch.

Since lockdown (which, obviously, does not apply to me) I've taken the Defender off the road and exclusively use the TJ around the country lanes where I live.

I've yet to meet another Wrangler of any type on my travels.

However I'm now getting waves from proper Land Rovers that I frequently meet .

I should explain that Land Rover owners tend to look down on us more "enlightened" Wrangler TJ owners:LOL:

Conclusion - there is still a wave here in the U.K., but it's between owners of automotive 4X4 money pits:cool:

Last edited:
I've only had my Jeep for a year, but I have definitely noticed a severe decline in the Jeep waving. I always wave at a fellow TJs, and also YJs, CJs, and heck even XJs. Last year I did wave to the newer Jeeps, but I don't think I've ever gotten a wave back from them. I used to get waves back from fellow TJ owners, but now I haven't seen any waves back, not even from the TJs.
I think it's the same thing like the motorcycle wave, 5 years ago if you went riding, your damn arm would get sore waving back at every single motorcycle that passed by. But now, I haven't even had a single wave from motorcycle riders. I think people around here just stopped waving at each other. Lol

I can tell you here in Florida, no one waves and if they do, they're in a TJ or older that's mostly no stock. Its almost embarrassing waving to people and have them look at you weird. Now, I don't even initiate unless someone else does. But, that's part of the problem where I live.

When I lived in Charlotte, almost everyone waved regardless of the Jeep.

The majority I've come across here in southern AZ tend to wave and that includes the JK/JL crew. The first time I got waved at, I was turning in an intersection and was too preoccupied learning to drive stick to respond and I felt bad. Ever since, I always try to be the first to wave.

My daily commute home in the weekday afternoons I typically run across the same few Jeeps coming down canyon and waves ensue, with the exception of a real estate agent from the big city of Wenatchee and an elderly couple in a JL. Weekends when all the 206ers flock over, I haven’t noticed a slackening in waves given or not returned no matter if it’s a mall crawler or not. This weekend there were a lot of transient Jeeps out and about. My son drove us in his YJ to a Memorial Day ceremony this morning (no one tell the Governor!) and I didn’t see anyone not return his wave. I don’t think it’s going extinct.