Is the Jeep wave almost extinct?

Sorta way less with everybody. When I first moved here 37 years ago everybody waved at everyone. Not so much anymore, I get about 50% from Jeepers now and less from everyone else.
Hey man, tell us about the guitar. Love to take my Jeep to little river canyon and the national park and mentone. Love Randy Owen and the boys too.

Reactions: Y3444
I’ve been thinking about this recently as I drive... so far it seems anyone into “the Jeep culture” waves back, regardless of the generation. Typically that qualifier includes customizing the base in “some way”, but a number of folks in stock wranglers wave back.

I’m trying to be a little less judgy on those I pass and just wave no matter what to avoid descending into elitism of the “cooler” rig or some other subjective approach.

I ran 2 for 4 the other day on Jeep waves. One who didn't wave had something in his hands, and the other one who didn't wave was a girl who was too busy giggling with her friend to notice anything around them.

I will wave at all jeeps model TJ and older. As far as JKs and JLs I only wave if its initiated by the other jeep.

Ditto! The wave isn't dead here but I do think that women don't get it.... they rarely wave.

Quick wave story - walking out of Target when I cross a very very nice looking woman(leather biker coat, long blonde hair, dark RayBans). She gives the look - I wave. Low and behold 3 cars down from me is another black TJ. She opens the door with a huge smile as she had watched me pull in. She drives slowly past me....and then waves back. My day was completely made!

I always wave, positivity and all that. Most Jeeps wave back, more newer 4 doors don't. I also wave to all bikes when riding my Harley. I really have to suppress myself when driving my wife's Mustang or my son's Oldsmobile Cutlass!

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
You have to realize Jeeps are no longer just made/used by offroaders who really get into the whole Jeep thing. Since the introduction of 4 door models with fancy interiors, those models are predominantly being bought by people who have zero interest in their offroad abilities.

If I'm going to expend the energy to wave, it's going to be directed solely at a Jeep that is obviously into the Jeep-thing. Clues like having a winch, big tires, battle damage, etc. will get my attention. A pristine Jeep, especially withy 4 doors, with Armoralled tires on 18-20" wheels won't.

And the wave thing isn't just about Jeeps. Also included are owners of sports cars, Porsches, Harley Davidsons, or other unique vehicles with a following. :)

I find myself doing that more and more to JK owners and newer. TJs get the wave.. stock or not.

The interesting thing is... the jeep wave rules are the newer jeeps are to initiate the wave. Everytime i pass a jeep, just know I have my two fingers locked and loaded.

If the JK/JL driver even shows signs of a wave.. I'll give them the peace sign so fast they wont know what hit them.

I will wave at all jeeps model TJ and older. As far as JKs and JLs I only wave if its initiated by the other jeep.
This is also what I do. But I have to admit, if the JK is lifted up on 35+ tires with 17- wheels and looks like its used, ill wave first. There a lot of JKs that wave out here in AZ. and nearly ALL TJs, YJs and CJs wave.

I got my new to me TJ last June and got a Jeep wave pulling in to get a celebration beer after driving 2 or 3 miles. I thought that was super cool. Welcome to the club.
I don't know how far back the Jeep wave goes, maybe predate the motorcycle wave, maybe not. Never had a Harley, always Japanese. Harleys would only wave outside the city, the farther the more likely. In a group, the last guy would wave.

Reactions: MikeM
Hey man, tell us about the guitar. Love to take my Jeep to little river canyon and the national park and mentone. Love Randy Owen and the boys too.

In the avatar photo? I was Jason’s tech for six years, photo by Jake Owen (in the middle of the show). The Little River Canyon is really nice, isn’t it?

Up in New England a lotta people wave back, every now and then people don’t though and it’s mostly newer base model JK/JL’s, I always tend to initiate but sometimes I’ll not be paying attention and see a jeep go past and feel bad lol, but I’d say it’s alive and well up here!

In the avatar photo? I was Jason’s tech for six years, photo by Jake Owen (in the middle of the show). The Little River Canyon is really nice, isn’t it?
Awesome. When Jason did that crossroads gig with Bryan Adams, Bryan had one of Johnny Cash’s nice old Martins he’d been lugging around the globe, sounded real good.

What on earth has happened has happened to country music this last year ...it’s unrecognizable .

It's far from extinct around here. But, it is not surprising with all the Jeep supporters here in Toledo that the wave percentage would be pretty darn good. It doesn't matter if I am driving the TJ or JK, or what generation the other Wrangler is, lot's of Jeepers are proud to instigate that wave!
We are just a little friendlier here in the Midwest!

+1 on waving at all TJs and older. Occasionally I'll get a wave from new shiny Jeeps and I'll wave back but I don't bother waving first at them usually.

I have started seeing build XJs waving at me and I'll wave back. So it's gone from a Jeep Wrangler thing, to a thing between trail Jeeps.

Awesome. When Jason did that crossroads gig with Bryan Adams, Bryan had one of Johnny Cash’s nice old Martins he’d been lugging around the globe, sounded real good.

What on earth has happened has happened to country music this last year ...it’s unrecognizable .

It’s a rare old Martin that doesn’t sound good, a consistently well made instrument with excellent tone. Country music? It’s like everything, it follows the money and ticket sales are in control.
Hey, I got a couple of waves Saturday so there’s that.

I have a few MC's. In the old days mostly all bikes waved to each other. Now when I'm on my Harley most other bikes, especially BMW's don't wave. If I'm on my BMW, Harleys won't wave. I haven't had my Jeep very long and sometimes just forget to wave.

Reactions: MikeM
I wave to all Wranglers, most wave back. The older the Jeep, the more likely the wave. I also wave to lifted or dirty Cherokee and Grand Cherokees, most wave back.
I also ride a Harley V-Rod and wave to all bikes, all cruisers wave back and some sport bikes do.

Reactions: Edward Turner