"The Jeep Wave Is A Lie"

I drove a lifted XJ for 10+ years and never saw a wave and never waved ever. I drove it for over 140K miles. I now have a TJ and waves are all the time from other Wranglers only. No one else that I have seen. It is a Wrangler, CJ, Willies and so-on wave, but not really a Jeep wave, so the OP IMHO is right.

Reactions: Rubirob
The real jeep is my TJ jeeps for it's all OEM with dino oil in them and so, the rest are just "a jeep".

Hey I am just kidding, don't get offended :)

Yep, highly offended here.
This just spawned an oil thread....switch to synthetic immediately :D

The Jeep wave is real, but unfortunately as in all walks of life, some percentage of people are just arrogant jerks. I own an early Bronco too, and trust me - those guys are generally worse. Motorcycle riders are universally better about waving in some manner to acknowledge similar interests, but even some of them think they are above recognizing a stranger with a common love.

In general, people suck. There are notable exceptions that we all love dearly, but humanity as a whole is not a typically open and kind sort.

It used to anger me to wave at someone and not receive one back. I decided I had 2 choices - wave at nobody and make them feel like I did, or wave at everyone and smile when they didn’t return the favor. This way I am the one who gets to choose my mood. I chose the latter, as it let me get over the anger.

Im from NY (about 60 miles north of Manhattan) and everybody with a CJ, YJ, TJ, and JK waves. I never noticed it back in the 80’s with my CJ’s but about 15 years ago it started to become a common occurrence. Oddly enough down in FL I see twice as many Wranglers, yet only about 10 percent of them wave. Makes my daughter nuts when I let her drive and she doesn’t get a wave.

Reactions: WmGardner
I don’t wave to LJs since they don’t exist! But I’ll wave like a madman to a TJU!!!

(Joke: I’m an LJ owner)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Travis
whe
For decades the “Jeep Wave” has been a way for Jeep owners to greet one another, and it’s a lot of fun. But there’s one misunderstanding about this tradition thats been tearing at my soul: people think it applies to all Jeeps, when in reality, most Jeepers—like my poor self—get no love.

Obviously, a greeting between owners of a certain type of vehicle isn’t the most important issue to be discussing, but this has been nagging me for a while now, so bear with me: The “Jeep Wave” isn’t actually a “Jeep” wave. The name is a big lie.

“Jeep vehicle owners are unlike any others; from those who embrace the ‘Jeep wave’ to those who look forward to helping a fellow off-roader along the trail, there is a sense of community and passion among Jeep owners that makes our brand unique,” Jeep wrote in a 2012 press release.

Reading this, you might think to yourself “Oh boy, I should buy a Jeep Compass, because I want to be part of that tight-knit community.” That’s, at least, what Jeep wants you to think. But trust me when I say that you will be sorely disappointed, and perhaps cry yourself to sleep a few nights eating a bucket of Neapolitan ice cream and watching a rom com, feeling thoroughly rejected.

Rest of article at link - https://jalopnik.com/the-jeep-wave-is-a-lie-1826610074
it used to be common practice when out on 2 lane roads you waved at everybody no matter what just being polite

It's funny how much thought is put into the "Jeep Wave". People who don't get a wave back seem to get butt hurt about it (at least from what I've heard). Motorcyclists have this wave as well.

Yes Motorcyclists have the wave. But there's also a "discrimination" among bikers as well.
I've had bikes all my life, in my early years, I mostly had metrics. I bought my 1st Harley, a 883 sportster in 1996. Even other Harley riders would not wave because the "lowly" sportster isn't considered a "real" harley by most Big Twin riders.
I bought an Electra Glide in 2006. I generally wave to all other riders, no matter what they ride, I only wave at other Wranglers when in the jeep.

Yes Motorcyclists have the wave. But there's also a "discrimination" among bikers as well.
I've had bikes all my life, in my early years, I mostly had metrics. I bought my 1st Harley, a 883 sportster in 1996. Even other Harley riders would not wave because the "lowly" sportster isn't considered a "real" harley by most Big Twin riders.
I bought an Electra Glide in 2006. I generally wave to all other riders, no matter what they ride, I only wave at other Wranglers when in the jeep.

I guess I never experienced it. When I had my Sportster I got waves from guys on all the other Harleys it seemed like.

Wait... so all this time people waved at me because of my jeep?

I thought their waves was them recognizing how magnificent of a person I tend to be.

I waive at all Wranglers, CJ's, etc. However, I never smile at the other driver, nor do I wiggle my fingers when I waive (Afraid that might give off a wrong vibe). My waive is more like a peace sign. Since I don't typically get waives back over 50% of the time, I have gotten to the point where when I waive I do not look directly at the other person (unless they are at a stop light with me or something). That way I don't know if they waived back but assume they did. Makes me feel better about doing it.

I always feel bad when I'm driving and deep in thought or something and someone passes me going the other way and I don't notice them until they waive at me and by the time I waive back they are past me. I feel like I had a chance to make someone feel good, that was worth making feel good, but I didn't...

if it has 4 doors i dont wave around my area most of them are mall crawlers and some soccer moms driving it
never wave at a lowly harley when im on my DUCATI

There are eleventy-zillion 4door JKs around here and 95% of them don't wave.
Wait until you see them doorless and one foot out the door going to the mall and groceries. There are group of nerdy looking dudes around Davenport that creeps me out for some reason because they are so clean cut on flip-flops with shinny jacked up wheels.

Reactions: KCsTJ