Is the Jeep wave almost extinct?

I used to wave to all jeeps. Then like most, was only getting waves back some of the time from jk owners. So I do what others here say and that’s wave to all TJs and built JKs. Stock JKs JLs only if they wave first.

Oh and it’s the two finger and thumb on 12:00 steering wheel wave from me✌🏽

Reactions: jimsmith29841
I try to wave at all Jeeps. JK owners seem to wave back less, but I think they wave back about half of the time.

I like accidentally waving at TJ's when i'm in my pickup truck and get that look like.. pfffft idiot.
[emoji38]Do it from my Silverado all the time. just muscle memory I guess. I also wave at my neighbors on our local streets. I can tell many just don't get why I wave. So odd, people get uncomfortable with a friendly wave. Hopefully it unpuckers them some.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'll chime in on this one...Down here TJ's are rare, CJ's even more so...JKU are everywhere. I used to wave at them all but got so disappointed that now I'll wave at all TJ's and CJ's and as for JKU if they look like they are used I'll wave.

I was on the freeway the other night and a TJ drove past without even acknowledging me.😖..had to beep the horn to get him to wave. (I felt much better then ) lol

Around my area of town I don’t get them much, and only give them when it looks like my narrow definition of a proper Jeep. In the mountains it’s more common.

A buddy that used to have a JK said the rule as he understood it for JK owners was that the inferior rig had to initiate the wave for any reciprocation. Maybe all JK/JL owners assume because of the price tag their’s is superior?

• Haha
Reactions: jazngab and Kiwi TJ
I wave at all Wranglers depending on traffic demands (2 finger raise off the steering wheel) I don’t care if they waive back. In fact most of the time I don’t look at the driver to see if they do. I instead look at their ride.

I am not a snob about whether I think it’s used to off-road, if it’s a TJ, JK, JL whatever. The kinship regarding the Jeep wave to me is more the appreciation of the Jeep in total (durability, off-road prowess, looks, history, etc). My TJ has been used off road once so far in the year I’ve owned it. And I will never use it as a rock crawler because that doesn’t interest me. More of an overlandibg vehicle is what mine will be used for when off road. And maybe a recovery vehicle for more hard core off roaders.

I don’t care if it’s a mall crawler JK with 20” wheels, everyone gets the waive. If they don’t understand, well maybe they smiled a little inside thinking somebody appreciates their whip. My mission is accomplished.

I don’t think the Jeep waive should be exclusionary or somebody saying “yeah that’s a real Jeep as opposed to the 4 door mall crawlers”. To me that’s sad. So if that’s how you feel and you see me and my TJ on the road, please, don’t wave...

Just seen this on offer up

Reactions: MikeM
I've noticed only older or built/modded wranglers wave. I have yet to get a wave from a JL. Stock wranglers regardless of their generation rarely wave

Reactions: jazngab
It's far from extinct around here. But, it is not surprising with all the Jeep supporters here in Toledo that the wave percentage would be pretty darn good. It doesn't matter if I am driving the TJ or JK, or what generation the other Wrangler is, lot's of Jeepers are proud to instigate that wave!

I wave is someone waves at me first. I was the same way with my Harley back in the day. Just not into that much, but I don't leave people hanging if they wave at me. I don't look for other Jeeps that hard and make a big deal about it. There are so many JKs on the roads I would just be waving every second. I really don't want to do that.

I'll chime in on this one...Down here TJ's are rare, CJ's even more so...JKU are everywhere. I used to wave at them all but got so disappointed that now I'll wave at all TJ's and CJ's and as for JKU if they look like they are used I'll wave.

I was on the freeway the other night and a TJ drove past without even acknowledging me.😖..had to beep the horn to get him to wave. (I felt much better then ) lol

My GF is from the US, and still has her JKU over there. She's all about the Jeep wave and gets mad when I tell her my Jeep is a real(er) Jeep and hers is not.
She then proceeds to laugh at me here when I wave and no one waves back.

@Kiwi TJ, we may have to organise to pass each other once a week to keep sanity

• Haha
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
My GF is from the US, and still has her JKU over there. She's all about the Jeep wave and gets mad when I tell her my Jeep is a real(er) Jeep and hers is not.
She then proceeds to laugh at me here when I wave and no one waves back.

@Kiwi TJ, we may have to organise to pass each other once a week to keep sanity
Its not her fault she bought the wrong car haha...
Actually I was all over the place on Sunday. I live out east but ended up on the Shore then Henderson and the City on the way home...doors off, roof down of course.
Only saw 2 TJ's,both closed up as if it was winter haha and you guesses it, they didn't wave, one left me hanging with my hand in the air haha

As with some previous posters I only initiate the wave at TJs and older (because they are more likely to wave back, and I get all butt hurt if I don't get one) and will wave back at any Jeep that waves at me. However (at least where I live) there is a lot of Jeep snobbery going on.

If I get the urge to wave at obvious off-roaders in JKs and even XJs, more often than not they don't wave back.

I'll even get the odd guy in a CJ that won't wave back.

I guess just having a TJ doesn't qualify me for the wave anymore around here.

In my experience YJ owners are the most reliable wave reciprocators. 😊