Is There Really a Dislike of the Renegade?

Cheesy

TJ Enthusiast
Just asking because we really like ours. My wife was considering a JL but gagged at the price. So did I. We ended up with well outfitted Limited. We traded in an 02 Audi A4 for it.
We know it’s not a Wrangler, it’s a Fiat 500X in Jeep clothing, but it was the only vehicle able to make it up a snow covered 13% grade at a family gathering in Maine last Thanksgiving. We ended up ferrying tire chains up and down the hill to get the rest of the brood up and out.
I had originally named it Grandma’s Lil Brick but that got changed to Grandma’s Lil Goat after that episode. The fact that it has road manners and we’ve seen up to 35 mpg doesn’t hurt. We’ve done several 12 hour drives in it. Six hours in my LJ feels like four on my Ural.
I don’t see it as a Wrangler wannabe but filling a niche in the Jeep line up. Just curious, I guess.

Just asking because we really like ours. My wife was considering a JL but gagged at the price. So did I. We ended up with well outfitted Limited. We traded in an 02 Audi A4 for it.
We know it’s not a Wrangler, it’s a Fiat 500X in Jeep clothing, but it was the only vehicle able to make it up a snow covered 13% grade at a family gathering in Maine last Thanksgiving. We ended up ferrying tire chains up and down the hill to get the rest of the brood up and out.
I had originally named it Grandma’s Lil Brick but that got changed to Grandma’s Lil Goat after that episode. The fact that it has road manners and we’ve seen up to 35 mpg doesn’t hurt. We’ve done several 12 hour drives in it. Six hours in my LJ feels like four on my Ural.
I don’t see it as a Wrangler wannabe but filling a niche in the Jeep line up. Just curious, I guess.
Picture of Grandma's Lil Goat?

Hogback Mt, VT. A week before the tire chain party.
32073422208_d7293d9c13.jpg

Day after we brought it home.
31573035188_a401cd62ae.jpg

I can’t stand the way they look personally. However, that doesn’t mean it can’t be a great vehicle that fits someone’s needs 👍

Myself, I’m in the ‘It’s so ugly, it’s cute’ camp. Sort of like the Citroen 2CV.
The reason I brought it up was what happened a couple of days ago. We, a gray haired old broad and a bald headed old fart, parked next to a lifted and tricked out JL at a Menards. As we are getting out, the owner of the JL tells us we should have bought a real Jeep. My first thought was “Really? Jeepers are starting this crap now.”

Reactions: reddvltj
You need a compact AWD for the family around town, the Renegade is a top choice.
I only gag looking at those gross tail lights, but the aftermarket can fix that.

Myself, I’m in the ‘It’s so ugly, it’s cute’ camp. Sort of like the Citroen 2CV.
The reason I brought it up was what happened a couple of days ago. We, a gray haired old broad and a bald headed old fart, parked next to a lifted and tricked out JL at a Menards. As we are getting out, the owner of the JL tells us we should have bought a real Jeep. My first thought was “Really? Jeepers are starting this crap now.”
looking at your avatar, I'd say you already own one.
Wait til the guy with the JL has issues with that air conditioned, heated, 48volt battery.

I had a 2017 Renegade Trailhawk and it was awesome. The best car I have ever owned. It's not great at anything, but good at everything. It is not fast, but fast enough, it is not huge inside, but enough space, it doesn't ride like a Mercedes but is very comfortable, it doesn't get great mileage, but it does get good mileage... you get the idea. Off-road it was impressive. No, it cannot keep up with a bone stock wrangler, but for what it is, it does very well.

Reactions: SgtMajor138
You should have fired back " I have a real Jeep, it is called an LJ, not like your Quadratec mall crawler JL"!
I considered saying something like "You mean with two doors, a straight six, and manual trans? Got one of those." But I wasn't going to stoop to his level.

I can take my Ural to a Harley rally and have 99 people ask me, politely, all sorts of questions about it. If they don't like it, they give me their reasons, politely. Most of the time, I can see their point. I know, a Ural is an acquired taste. Then there is that one stereotypical Harley prick...

You know, people don't have to say things like that. He could have just said nothing. To me, that just proves that someone like that is just an asshole in life in general. If it suits your needs and you're happy with it then it shouldn't any concern of his. There are a lot of good people in this world, but some people just plain suck.

So VW started it all with their New Beetle. Then Ford brought back the Thunderbird and did a much better looking Mustang around 2005. I'm sure there were other retro minded brands I'm forgetting.

Then we get to Jeep. They sure took quite a while to do a retro and they named it Renegade hoping nobody would see they stole the past of the International Harvester Scout II.

2019-11-17 (1).png

2019-11-17.png

FWIW, I wouldn't mind having a new 4wd Renegade to use as a mostly street driven vehicle. 2wd? No thanks.

Reactions: Cheesy