Is this Duraflex highline hood any good?

JamesAndTheSahara

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
http://www.duraflexbodykits.com/199...e-fenders-piece-duraflex-108805-p-548651.html

Hey! The link above looks very similiar to the AEV hood that just left the market. I'm about to move forward on highlining my TJ and have the option of cutting my stock hood or replacing it with this for $500.00. Reccomendations? (Color match painting is not an issue, a very close friend of mine owns an automotible paint shop).

They have a cheaper version too, but I'm not sure why it's cheaper, it still looks like the same hood to me:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=301873200505

Anyways, it's made of fiberglass, which can fit well if it was done well. It can also leave a lot of gaps and what not if it was poorly made. The unfortunate thing is I first saw this hood months ago, and still to this day I haven't found one person who has left a review of it.

For what it's worth though, the photos of it look like it fits really well and is made nicely.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
They have a cheaper version too, but I'm not sure why it's cheaper, it still looks like the same hood to me:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=301873200505

Anyways, it's made of fiberglass, which can fit well if it was done well. It can also leave a lot of gaps and what not if it was poorly made. The unfortunate thing is I first saw this hood months ago, and still to this day I haven't found one person who has left a review of it.

For what it's worth though, the photos of it look like it fits really well and is made nicely.
Thanks for your input Chris!

Reactions: Chris
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I'll keep my eye out though incase I do stumble upon a review. If you end up getting it, let us know how you like it. It's a pretty good looking hood I admit!

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
I still have yet to find anyone running one of these hoods, unfortunately.

What's your honest opinion of a fiberglass like hood? Would you use one? If a winch cable broke and you had the hood up I assume it would destroy it. Curious how they fair in an accident as well. I was really into the fiberglass Jeep tub living in the rust belt but I can't imagine it would fair well offroad or in an accident in any way.

Most cars are way more fiberglass than our TJ's. With the fiberglass hood you're slimming down your front end from all the weight added with winch and bumper. I wouldn't hesitate if I wanted to highline. The other thing is just cut your hood, sand that edg down nice and repaint

I think the highline looks great on a TJ. I just don't have the skills to fab DIY highline properly so the hood is wayyyyy down the list. I'll have to find a shop that has done a DIY before and let them do it for me.

I think some fenders, like JCR, are as far as I would go. You get the extra clearance without about a $2K minimum investment for a highline.

I think some fenders, like JCR, are as far as I would go. You get the extra clearance without about a $2K minimum investment for a highline.
There is nothing wrong with flat/tube fenders and I think JCR has the best design, but I really like the stock TJ look. I like my mods, but I can't do it to my ride personally. Its a point in my build where I want the functionality of a highline and keep the stock TJ fenders. If you keep your stock fenders there isn't really enough work to warrant a $2k investment even with a $500.00 hood.

Reactions: JMT
Most cars are way more fiberglass than our TJ's. With the fiberglass hood you're slimming down your front end from all the weight added with winch and bumper. I wouldn't hesitate if I wanted to highline. The other thing is just cut your hood, sand that edg down nice and repaint
If I did that I wouldn't be happy with it. I like having things be reversible. To a point at least. I mean $300 for a fiberglass hood seems like it's worth the time saved being stressed about, and then actually cutting the hood. Then the possibility of messing up... ehhh I like doing stuff myself but I'd just buy a highline hood. Worst case is either hate it and sell it or love it and sell my original hood I suppose.

But I'm just going to leave my tj "low-lined" and be content with 3.5 lift.

Reactions: JMT
FRP is pretty durable stuff. I have an FRP Tonneau cover on my F150. Its very nice...resistant to dents and dings, its the same color all the way through, so scratches don't show up, and its pretty strong. The down sides I've found are twofold...One is it doesn't hold screws well. I've had to replace the screws in my latch bars a couple times cuz they loosened up. On a hood, that wouldn't be a big deal, cuz you can use a nut on the inside. The other thing is that its plastic, so UV can cause some fading. My topper is starting to look a little weathered. Its 3 years old though, so I'm happy with how long its held up.

The one on ebay appears to be a replacement hood for standard fenders:

Fits Following Models:TJ (Canadian-market Wrangler) SE / Sport without Highline Fenders

The one on ebay appears to be a replacement hood for standard fenders:

Fits Following Models:TJ (Canadian-market Wrangler) SE / Sport without Highline Fenders

Ahhh, I wondered why it was cheaper. Makes sense now!

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I wanted to give me 2 cents. I had one in my possession and can say I thought the quality was very nice for what it is. I never actually got around to installing it and ended up selling it so I can't speak on fitment but it felt really sturdy and the fiberglass was laid down pretty nicely. I had the regular cut version however, not the highline. If you're looking for weight reduction as well as a highline hood, I'd say go for it. Worth every penny but if your worry is about snapping winch lines...well it is a huge piece of fiberglass and like most other things made of fiberglass, it would probably crack if a steel cable whipped back at it. Another thing to note is none of the holes come pre-drilled. You must do this yourself so at least you can rest assured that all holes will indeed line up. Like I said, I never mounted the hood but from doing all the prep work to paint it, all corners, edges, etc, looked pretty good considering they’re hand laid hoods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris