Is this paint self-repairable or does it require a professional?

cboyer

2002 TJ, the PO said this chipping happens from the hood getting hot. I'd like to get it back in decent shape but wondering if this is a DIY project or if I need to bring it in. If it is something a novice can take care, how might I go about that?

Its just on the the hood. Some crackles in the clear coat maybe? Plus much more chipping. Would love your thoughts!

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

That is khaki right?

You can order factory spray paint on quadratec or amazon.

The trick is to remove the peeling paint and getting the new stuff to stick and not flake off.

Might need to sand and prime first.

That paint is trashed and the hood needs to be repainted. And that isn't due to heat. I wouldn't bet my house on it but just based on the small photos I would place a small wager that isn't factory paint either.

Edit - on second thought paint checking (that is what it is called. Also called "crows feet") can be caused by expansion and contraction due to heat but I really doubt that is the root cause here.

Last edited:
To do it right the hood needs totally stripped and painted by someone who understands color matching or it will look like shit...I cant comment on half ass repairs or rattle cans

Thanks for the replies everyone. I read somewhere or someone told me that this was common on these TJs, but from everyones reaction im guessing its not. This jeep's lived its whole life in PHX Arizona where temps are insane, so maybe its an AZ thing.

I'll drive it to a place later today to get a quote but its no doubt going to be like $700+

Thanks for the replies everyone. I read somewhere or someone told me that this was common on these TJs, but from everyones reaction im guessing its not. This jeep's lived its whole life in PHX Arizona where temps are insane, so maybe its an AZ thing.

I'll drive it to a place later today to get a quote but its no doubt going to be like $700+
I don't think it is an anomaly.

My paint is not flaking there... but cracking slightly.

... I read somewhere or someone told me that this was common on these TJs, but from everyones reaction im guessing its not...

I can't speak for "everyone", but I had an 03 TJ that did this. The coverage of the cracking area was far greater (like, the entire hood), but it never broke through to where I could see metal. I always thought it looked like really badly beat-up fiberglass.

While I had it, the jeep in question lived 3 years in Illinois and 7 in Colorado.

Come to think of it, a jeeping buddy who worked in the chem division of some auto paint company commented that he'd never seen anything like it... Maybe it is rare? I've seen that kind of cracking on other vehicles from time to time... I always figured it was heat/UV or crappy paint job related

I've seen that kind of cracking on other vehicles from time to time... I always figured it was heat/UV or crappy paint job related
Most checking is due to crappy product or crappy application by refinishers. I don't think I've seen it happen to a factory paint job that was applied in the last 30 years or so. But I don't live in the southwest so maybe heat is a factor there.

Checking or Crows feet is common on these rigs. Expansion/contraction causes it. It’s definitely more common out here in the south west or on a vehicle that isn’t garaged. There is no fix other than stripping and repainting. But you can extend the life of the existing paint by keeping the paint “hydrated” and clean. I’ve managed to keep my crows feet problem at bay and from getting to the point you are at by good corrosion control (washing) and waxing, regularly. You don’t want to attempt to cut, polishing, or compound paint with checking or crows feet as the layers have already been compromised and you’ll speed up the oxidation process

Most checking is due to crappy product or crappy application by refinishers. I don't think I've seen it happen to a factory paint job that was applied in the last 30 years or so. But I don't live in the southwest so maybe heat is a factor there.
Factory paint crap happens. Just look at every red or white Dodge built in the 90s. :LOL:

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Heat, sun, whatever. Let's get serious and admit that the major cause of crap like this is the F'n EPA.

And I will say that the EPA did start out doing a great service to everyone but by the early 90s they felt a continuous "need" to screw everything up in the name of keeping their jobs. Gas cans, toilets, High Efficiency Washing Machines, etc and the list goes on.

I read somewhere or someone told me that this was common on these TJs
Very common because they were switching over to more environmentally friendly paint and along with several other makes, they didn't get it right. The heat from the hood and the desert sun doesn't help. If you want to paint that hood it needs to be taken to bare metal or it will continue to de-laminate and crack again. Most shops will replace the hood and spray it. Labor to strip is way beyond the cost of a replacement part. @JEEPCJTJ is correct, this is the result of the new EPA rules way back when. It's not an issue on newer vehicles because they learned how to make the paint stick.

My 01 hood has this as well and it has lived it’s entire life in the mid Atlantic. I always thought it was ice or snow damage so contracting/expanding would explain it. It is definitely very common.

Checking or Crows feet is common on these rigs. Expansion/contraction causes it. It’s definitely more common out here in the south west or on a vehicle that isn’t garaged. There is no fix other than stripping and repainting. But you can extend the life of the existing paint by keeping the paint “hydrated” and clean. I’ve managed to keep my crows feet problem at bay and from getting to the point you are at by good corrosion control (washing) and waxing, regularly. You don’t want to attempt to cut, polishing, or compound paint with checking or crows feet as the layers have already been compromised and you’ll speed up the oxidation process
This guy knows how to make a Tj look fantastic.

I saw an LJ with factory black paint that had it yesterday- metal expands and contracts with heat plus the hood sees 70+ mph winds. Some paints are more flexible than others also and paints lose flexibility over time- even house paints get brittle.

This guy knows how to make a Tj look fantastic.
X2

Here is my tj crows feet.

Notice the cowling... thats where I had flaking.. and used mopar matched spraypaint.

One side was done by my wife... looks pretty good.

The center and driver side was done by me... looks pretty bad.

20210910_180303.jpg

20210910_180250.jpg

20210910_180257.jpg

Very common because they were switching over to more environmentally friendly paint and along with several other makes, they didn't get it right. The heat from the hood and the desert sun doesn't help. If you want to paint that hood it needs to be taken to bare metal or it will continue to de-laminate and crack again. Most shops will replace the hood and spray it. Labor to strip is way beyond the cost of a replacement part. @JEEPCJTJ is correct, this is the result of the new EPA rules way back when. It's not an issue on newer vehicles because they learned how to make the paint stick.
Not an issue on newer vehicles! Your kidding right? class actions against Honda Kia and Hyundai in USA but cant do squat in Australia :( pics of my wifes 5 year old Hyundai.

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

Not an issue on newer vehicles! Your kidding right?
Sorry, maybe less common? I don't see it allot but I don't pay close attention, especially to makes you listed. My 2011 Civic is perfect but it ain't as old as the Jeep that's for sure. I'll get back to you in seven years.