It just happened!

I find this quite ironic for me…I sold the LJ myself so that we could focus on other things as well as having 2 Jeeps was holding me back a bit from that, and now you’re doing the same.

Mine’s a bit more selfish, but the rat race of NoVa is killing me. Sooner I can get away from it the better. Trailer is up for sale too, and funds are being poured into being able to slow down and enjoy life and my kids as soon as I can. I still got quite a few years, but hopefully these decisions will speed it up.
You're making the right call! As we discussed, time gets away from you faster than you think. I know I'm sounding really old now, but when we were in High School we used to talk about how old we'd be in the year 2000. Fast forward to today, and that seems like just yesterday. :(

I definitely get the rat race of N.VA. That coupled with everything else that's been going on has made me, and many others, hyper focused on what's most important. As much as I love building and bringing Jeeps back to life, my OCD creates a lot of work. Since I keep track of the time I spend on them, the numbers add up fast. As an example, the red one I did had over 800 hours in it. So far, I'm up to 600 hours on the the silver one, and there is a lot more to do there.

Bottom line, Jeeps will always be available. However, family and youth will not. I just wish I would have truly learned this lesson earlier. As the saying goes, hind sight is 20/20! ;)

eye-chart.png

Last edited:
Reactions: lBasket
I know you’re making the right decision. I didn’t have any hobby till I was 43. I had five young children at the time. It was something to get away and enjoy some down time. I am glad I did it, but I don’t have much time for it. I think I’m still tilted heavily towards helping others. The rewards are priceless, but I have to have some down time. It’s all part of finding the balance. That takes getting out of our comfort zone.

You still owe me a call, which we can go into more detail on! Suffice it to say that my own life has taken a turn I never saw coming. However, it's a turn that has brought me more satisfaction and joy than I thought possible. And, has given me a very rewarding purpose.

As for the Jeep hobby, it's also something I enjoy, but for different purposes. With the constant demands, being able to go to the garage and work on something recharges and resets me. There are a few folks here that truly get what owning a Jeep means. There's likely more that could be called out, but for me it's a way to:

- expand my own knowledge, across a range of areas
- create my own art, and perfect it
- learn patience, persistence, and humility
- make new friends, and
- have fun in life

Per your comment, the sum of this only happens if you're willing to be comfortable being uncomfortable. Yes. it's a bit of a stretch, but this kind of thinking is what helped make our Nation great. Mediocrity isn't acceptable and some of us try to fight against it in our own small ways. For me, sometimes it's a Jeep related thing, and sometimes not! ;)

my OCD creates a lot of work.
I'm glad you finally verbalized this. Admitting the problem is the first step to recovery. 😉
Since I keep track of the time I spend on them, the numbers add up fast.
Are you crazy? Lol
Keeping track of the hours is even worse than keeping track of the dollars spent!

I'm glad you finally verbalized this. Admitting the problem is the first step to recovery. 😉

Are you crazy? Lol
Keeping track of the hours is even worse than keeping track of the dollars spent!
I did keep track of both. However, once the numbers got to a certain point, I had my buddy step in and help ;)

%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fPOU01YSFVn8zK%2fgiphy.gif

That looks great. What’s your process for painting all of that?
I have a couple different ways to paint, which either involve mixing (for larger jobs) or spray cans (for smaller jobs). This particular case, because it's being done in sections, involved spray cans. As seen in the picture, I use the following:

Rust-oleum Rust Reformer - Used only on areas that had heavy rust
Rust-oleum Primers - Self Etching (for bare metal only), or a filler/sandable (for metal with scuffed paint)
Krylon Rust Protector Paint - I've been using this for years and it has worked well for me. It also drys in 8-10 minutes, which is a bonus. Satin is my choice for pretty much everything, but you can use whatever you like.

Tip - If you want the job to look right, the key is to remove everything, e.g. wheels, shocks, springs, fender liners, etc. first. Once that is done, my own process looks like this:

- degrease everything with a denatured alcohol
- go over the entire frame with fiber pads (An air tool can be used, or a drill if you you don't have air tools)
- sand with 320 sandpaper
- wipe down with denatured alcohol again
- treat with Rust Reformer (only if needed), or, if no major rust is there, coat it with a suitable primer
- let the primer dry, then sand and go over it again, until you're happy there is a smooth surface
- lastly, apply 3 - 4 coats of paint. The key is to do light coats first, to avoid runs, then apply the last coat a little heavier

Once everything dries, it's time to put it all back together and admire your work. As a side note, the blue plastic object in the picture is a trim removal tool. That is used to remove the plastic snaps that hold the front and rear liners in place.

20211212_064753.jpg

Damn it, sometimes I wish I wasn't so anal. Wasn't happy with the back, so apart it came. I stripped the paint off a section that didn't meet my standards and redid it. Also, installed new Centric rotors and Raybestos Element 3 calipers. The back driver side is now done.

20211212_193748.jpg

20211218_174751.jpg

Since the rear driver side is done, the front was next. I tore it down to just the knuckle and attacked years wort of use. All rust was removed, then painted. New Centric rotors, Raybestos Element 3 calipers, and Black Magic pads went on. Also, I received stickers and chapstick! :)

20211218_120304.jpg

20211218_120320.jpg

20211218_123744.jpg

20211218_174849.jpg

20211218_174841.jpg

20211218_112140.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking Jeep. Congrats. What brand is the hard top? How is the road noise level inside? Can you carry on a conversation with a passenger at normal voice level at highway speeds?

Great looking Jeep. Congrats. What brand is the hard top? How is the road noise level inside? Can you carry on a conversation with a passenger at normal voice level at highway speeds?

It’s a factory hardtop and I added the Hotheads Headliners to it before selling it to Rich. Noise level is just fine, I could carry on a conversation or even a phone call at 70 MPH with no issues.

Reactions: Irun and RINC
It’s a factory hardtop and I added the Hotheads Headliners to it before selling it to Rich. Noise level is just fine, I could carry on a conversation or even a phone call at 70 MPH with no issues.
That’s awesome. I can have a conversation and make a phone call as I back out of the garage. Beyond that…

🙂

GTFO ?!! I don't know anyone I would want to call or talk to at 70mph.

I usually drive the Jeep so I don't have to talk to anyone. "What did you say? Can't hear you because I'm driving the Jeep. Will call later!" ;)
Sounds like how I react when the wife calls when I'm in my jeep. She now says. "Oh you're in the jeep, we'll talk later" 🤣